It's a Sickness, and there is NO CURE!! AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pappy1959

Banned
I've contracted the disease.....................

I blame all of YOU!!!

Caught the virus from Gus.............................
Re-Infected by Elliott..........................

I know I can't die from this affliction.
I just hope my wife isn't perpetually made at me..............
And I hope my wallet is not doomed to be empty from now on.................

Went to the doctor and the official diagnosis is

knifus collectingus...................

There is no de-tox hospital, no twelve-step program, no counseling and no prescriptions.

I looked into group-therapy............and they sent me here to this forum!!!
Go figure.

It's not a hopeless situation, though.
I found these two at the Ohio Classic Knife Show and just had to have them.

Miller Brothers Docs knife, lots of swedging, capped bolsters, old but creamy feeling bone handles, and blade action that is intoxicating.

attachment.php

Cattaraugus single blade sowbelly. The spring is a little stiff, but the bone handles are almost translucent and hypnotic.

attachment.php

I have the disease and there is no cure. So, I think I'll just give in and enjoy. Hope you all like the pictures.

Keep Care,

Pappy

Attachments

• millerbros..JPG
    millerbros..JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 267
  • catsowbelly.jpg
    catsowbelly.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 268
Yeah; you got it bad Pappy!
The only known cure; buy two knives and call me in the morning!!:D

That Cattaraugus is a beauty, but I'm a sucker for a sowbelly! :thumbup: :cool:

these knives are just what the doctor ordered...
That Miller Doc knife is one heck of a beaut... :thumbup: the bone...would you look at that bone...

Thanks for sharing, by doing so you are probably spreading the disease. :D

Peter

That Cattaraugus is downright sexy! The Doc isn't bad, either. ;):thumbup:

Aaaaaaaarrrrggghhh! Indeed!

I'm right there with you, Pappy! It seems I spend more and more time doing research and hunting down new knives. It's lots of fun, but time consuming, and pretty expensive. I ordered yet another GEC this afternoon- a Barlow Jack with sheepfoot master blade and crazy "Patriot" acrylic scales. One of only 24 made!

When you start plotting and scheming, and selling off other things to buy more knives, you know you have a problem. When your knife drawers are so full you have to turn all of your knives- to stand on their springs, so they take up less room, then you know you have a problem. When your knife chest is so full it has spilled over into your gun safe, your kitchen cabinets, and every other drawer in the house your wife hasn't claimed- you know you have a problem. When your coworkers complain that you're taking up too much space in the office with the boxes from your knives, that isn't good. When you're poking around your house and you find a $700 knife you forgot you even had, you know you have a problem.

P.S.- that Cat is mighty tasty. The bone looks nice and old. That knife looks very similar to my recent Schatt & Morgan sowbelly. Except yours has a nicer swedge, only has one blade, and doesn't have pinched bolsters. And the Cat has a Federal shield, and the Schatt has a keystone shield.

I need to start getting out more and hunting for old knives. There seems to be a quality that only age can impart to some things.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (breath)Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
sweet knives
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (breath)Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The Cat is nice, but was there ever a factory single blade sowbelly ever made:confused: I don't recall ever seeing one

I average about 3 knives a month, although October brought home 5 knives. I work hard and use my bonus money, (rationalization of course). I have it bad, real bad........traditional slipitis. I am diggin the sowbelly.

so there I was...all content with just my tacticals , I wander in the room and see this guy sitting in the corner , rocking to and fro , mumbling to himself while crouched down holding something old yet shiney in his hands....

" pssst...hey kid.... my name's Gus.... I got sumthin' to show ya... "

and the sickness began...

yup..spring is in the air...back spring that is ;)

i wasnt a big fan of the doc knives till you posted that miller bros. its beautiful:thumbup: Thats how one is supposed to look.
Where do you guys find such beautiful treasure:confused:
since i cant buy knives i'll just drool over your stuff:D
great post!
ivan

Both of those are beautiful. The bone and deep swedge (did ya see how deep that swedge grind is) of the Catt sowbelly knocks my socks off.

And that MB Dr. knife - I take full responsibility for the "purchase" of that one so at least you have an excuse that may carry weight with the Ms. :D.

Pappy, I'm here to help... Send me that Sowbelly and you should feel better in the morning :D

Both are very nice :thumbup:

GAH! 4ever3 beat me to it!

all beauts...

Think of it this way Pappy, every one you make offsets your intake cost, and fuels the disease in all the rest of us... great payback for us giving you the disease.. ;)

G.

At least you have someone to blame. I don't even know how I contracted the virus but after 55 years I can tell you that it isn't fatal.

GAH! 4ever3 beat me to it!

all beauts...

Think of it this way Pappy, every one you make offsets your intake cost, and fuels the disease in all the rest of us... great payback for us giving you the disease.. ;)

G.

I hadn't thought of that. This is kind of like a crack dealer getting hooked on his own product. You reap what you sow, Pappy! :p :D

You know? When I first started down this road a few years ago I was shocked, shocked I tell you at the cost of knives, and the fact that so many people were so "into" them. A friend had casually mentioned he had moved on from collecting guns to knives, and showed me a few of his wares. He started throwing out "collectable" prices, the price of Randalls, etc, and I thought "knife people" were absolutely nuts. A pocket knife should cost under $20 so you don't worry if you lose it, right?

Here we are a half dozen years later and I've got thousands of dollars invested in hundreds of knives. You guys really are nuts, and you've gotten to me, too.

Those really are some handsome knives there, Pappy.

-- Sam

Well, let's see here................

1. It's confirmed that I have the disease.
  2. The only temporary relief is that I "buy two more" and call Waynorth in the morning
  3. Blues is a "sucker for a sowbelly" Sounds like something we shouldn't talk about in mixed company!!
  4. Another of you is 'digging that sowbelly" Which, I'm have to say, sounds a wee bit frightening.
  5. Bastid is offering to take "full responsibility" for the MB doc. He might change his tune when my wife sends him the bill!!
  6. Then, it is suggested that the sowbelly MIGHT have some illegitimate heritage. Turns out there was never a factory Cat sowbelly made with one blade. This knife has a story to tell. I'll bet it's a bit more than tawdry!! Personally, I think the knife belonged to a long lost relative of mine who, unbeknownst to me, has left me millions of dollars...........yeah, that's it.............That's the ticket................I'll just make up a story.........Who's to know??
  7. And, you are all soooooo generous to volunteer to relieve me of my pain by taking the knives off my hands. So kind of you. So, soooooo altruistic.
  8. It has also been hinted at that I myself am perpetuating and spreading the disease. Should I be quarantined?? Can I take my knives with me?? Please don't make me leave my knives behind. Please, please let me take them with me!!! (he says sobbing uncontrollably)
  9. Last, but certainly not least, my chosen profession of "crack" dealer, and the biblical references to reaping and sowing, leave me no choice. I will take the suggestion offered and WILL make a single blade sowbelly!!!! I'll swedge it so it's knocking socks off (I hope your feet are clean) And I'll up the ante by making it in premium sambar stag. (so I hope you have clean underwear on too!!)

This disease certainly has its up-side!!

Lots and lots of fun.

And it's nice to make a post like this and have all of you chime in.

Keep Care and Keep Collecting!!

Pappy

Last edited:
Back