Its finally time...

My son is 6 y/o and I have been taking him to the woods to learn some basics with a fixed blade and hawk, Its been a pretty cool week. When teaching your kids knife safety how did you fellas go about it? I have alot that i want to teach him but i also want to give him some room to figure things out on his own.
GvLTaB.jpg

I usually just went with the show and tell, explaining why I was doing something a certain way, more so than just saying "You do it like this". I thought it important they know the reason why you should do it the right way and not just any old which way. And then afterwards, taking care of gear and stowing properly, wiped down if needed, etc.

Might also try to track down some YouTube videos you think are ok with which will help backup what your teaching. And Lord knows there are plenty on there as well to show doing something the wrong way, usually accompanied with a trip to the ER. Lol.

I would also identify a certain task we wanted to accomplish, offer two or three ways to go about it, and let him see if he could figure out the best way and why. I thought that might be show that you need to be able to adapt to different circumstances while still keeping safety number 1.

But then again, I might have been all wet too as just yesterday I watched him hack through the cardboard packaging and zip ties on his 1 year old daughters birthday present with a pair of cheapo kitchen scissors cause he didn't have a pocket knife. Sigh. :)

I started small with everyday things, encountered in everyday life. Like when they got old enough to be interested in doing things for themselves. My daughter was about 5 or 6 when I was going to open a new box of serial for breakfast, when I said other to take the knife and slit open the bag inside the box. I showed her how to hold the knife, and cut away from her. My son John got to open my mail at my desk when I was doing paperwork, paying bills, whatever. He used a little Vic classic I would hand him, and later some other pocket knives. Everyday things with a small pocket knife taken out for that job. LIke after some yard work we were bundling up the cut branches, and as the jute twine got wrapped around the stuff, one of the kids would be handed my pocket knife to open and cut the twine loose from the ball of the stuff.

Later, they would get assigned jobs on hikes or campouts by cutting their own hot dog sticks. Cutting some twine loose to tie down the tent tot he tent pegs. Breaking down a box after a shopping trip. After a while they learn. They watch us, then we hand them a knife and closely supervise so no little fingers have to be stitched, and they learn.

Hands on with close supervision is the best way.

Victorinox has a great 'first knife' for a child (or adult). It's a red plastic handle single blade which is sharp but the end is perfectly round, no tip at all. When children hold a knife it's most often the tip that causes a problem poking into something it shouldn't (like his sister). Fewer injuries are from the blade edge.
I have 4 children and what i have learned (somewhat too late) is to not 'push' a child into something because i am interested in it. But when they have an interest in something, then the teaching/learning goes much better.
A child can be interested in using a knife at age 6 or maybe not until 15, so the knife parent needs to be patient.
None of my children (oldest is 38) are particularly interested in knives, but they do joke how for every birthday they always got a knife from dad. And dad replies, "ya, but it was always a decent knife !".
kj

Great job teaching you kids! :thumbup:

I've always stressed to my kids to not consider a knife as a weapon. Some day that may change for them but hopefully only if they are in law enforcement or the military and they are properly trained.

With that being said, I've worked in and been involved in auto repair my entire life so I have been taught how to use and maintain tools properly, I've (hopefully) gotten my kids to maintain theirs well and put things back where they belong when finished with the task. I've found that the putting away part is not their strong suit, the best teacher is the fact that the tool isn't there when they need it the next time. Sometimes they have to learn the hard way!

A mechanic with busted knuckles is a bad mechanic and doesn't know how to use tools properly. He may be working hard, but he's not working smart.

I think these tool rules apply to edged items perfectly.

Knives, axes, hatchets, etc. must be used in a way that doesn't result in injury to the user or people nearby. When that axe misses its target, be sure it ends up somewhere safe! :thumbup:

I also stressed the "knife is not a weapon" to my daughter, and have just helped her along with way without really setting aside a dedicated "knife lesson" time.
If she did show more interest in camping, etc, I would set aside some time with more tools before I set her free:)

I basically followed the guidelines from earning the Cub Scout Whittling Chip on both boys. Making sure they cut away from themselves, or are aware of the follow through of the blade was stressed. Also being aware of everything around your immediate area that was within knife reach - Blood Circle. Also taught them how to sharpen on a stone and preventative maintenance. Pointed out that a knife was for cutting, not prying or a make shift screwdriver. As we went on camping trips I'd show them the various ways I used a knife in the woods. Then when I felt they grasped how, I'd let them do it while supervising them. I'd point out that the knife was a tool to help them accomplish various tasks, or make other tools to accomplish those tasks.

I also understood they were young boys, so didn't get upset when I caught my oldest off by himself waving his knife around. Sure it's not responsible, but in his mind he's just pulled Excaliber from the stone and is fighting off dragons :)

Victorinox has a great 'first knife' for a child (or adult). It's a red plastic handle single blade which is sharp but the end is perfectly round, no tip at all. When children hold a knife it's most often the tip that causes a problem poking into something it shouldn't (like his sister). Fewer injuries are from the blade edge.
I have 4 children and what i have learned (somewhat too late) is to not 'push' a child into something because i am interested in it. But when they have an interest in something, then the teaching/learning goes much better.
A child can be interested in using a knife at age 6 or maybe not until 15, so the knife parent needs to be patient.
None of my children (oldest is 38) are particularly interested in knives, but they do joke how for every birthday they always got a knife from dad. And dad replies, "ya, but it was always a decent knife !".
kj

:thumbup::D

When my six-year-old grandson took an interest in whittling, I gave him one of my old Opinels. I showed him how to open and close it safely, to cut away from himself and think about where the blade will go if it slips, and most important, never take the knife to school.

Quote: "never take the knife to school."
Yes, very true now. Kid would get in serious trouble with a pocket knife in school.
I was in elementary school in the 1950's. Many of the boys brought a pocket knife to school. We would play 'Stretch' on the dirt playground. Only got in trouble if you got caught carving initials into a desk.
kj

Back