It's not much...

Nice profile on that one Snow, very stylish, I like the patina and the shape a lot. Not sure about the XXXL though :D seems sort of modest compared to some of the cleavers I brought back from the Labeck Metzgereien in Germany. Had one that they used to half pigs. Yes, that really is what they guy called it, of course my moderate German linguistics might have failed me a bit. But I am sure that is what they used it for I saw it is use. Swipe and 1 pig carcass becomes 2 half carcasses. Reason I think of it is that it looked a whole lot like the same profile as this, only about 10X the size.

Nice profile on that one Snow, very stylish, I like the patina and the shape a lot. Not sure about the XXXL though :D seems sort of modest compared to some of the cleavers I brought back from the Labeck Metzgereien in Germany. Had one that they used to half pigs. Yes, that really is what they guy called it, of course my moderate German linguistics might have failed me a bit. But I am sure that is what they used it for I saw it is use. Swipe and 1 pig carcass becomes 2 half carcasses. Reason I think of it is that it looked a whole lot like the same profile as this, only about 10X the size.

I see what you are saying, but cleavers are in a class of their own and I don't think this chopper is meant to compete in this class.

It is more along the lines of the Ontario SP8 or the Silky Nata. Except it's handmade and all the awesomeness that comes with it.

Hehe, Oh, I know, I was just reminded of that cleaver a lot when I saw this. But the XXXL did make me smile a bit in comparison. Like I said, I love the shape. And the patina/steel pattern is really awesome. Not as sure about the grip, maybe that is what is making me less enthusiastic about it than I could be, what is it made from? Might just be the pictures making it appear sort of flat like it would generate hot spots on your hands across the edges if you used it for a while. I certainly wouldn't return the box if it wound up on my doorstep someday, and I am certain I would order one if it didn't have to compete with my other sharp metal loves for funding :D

Hehe, Oh, I know, I was just reminded of that cleaver a lot when I saw this. But the XXXL did make me smile a bit in comparison. Like I said, I love the shape. And the patina/steel pattern is really awesome. Not as sure about the grip, maybe that is what is making me less enthusiastic about it than I could be, what is it made from? Might just be the pictures making it appear sort of flat like it would generate hot spots on your hands across the edges if you used it for a while. I certainly wouldn't return the box if it wound up on my doorstep someday, and I am certain I would order one if it didn't have to compete with my other sharp metal loves for funding :D

:D

Here's the mensuration
- OAL is 17" with 12" flat ground blade
- Steel is 1/4" thick 1075 triple quenched & tempered to ~58rc.
- Handle is contoured black paper micarta on a tapered tang.
- Finished with a mustard patina.
- Sheath is Wickett & Craig leather with a belt loop and O-ring with a dangler

"it appear sort of flat like it would generate hot spots on your hands across the edges if you used it for a while."
Well it is not as angular as it looks on the pics. As a matter of fact it is quite ergonomic. But I wouldn't use it for an extensive period of work either. It's nose heavy and probably not as efficient and more tiring than a Kukri design of equivalent weight and length. Not many Kuks (unless your are looking at a giant SEAX) have a straight edge and that is mainly what made me fall for it.

Btw I really like your comments. You know what you are talking about and I always appreciate your point of view. So keep em coming regardless of the topic at hand. :thumbup:

Looking at JW's latest Parang... I thought I would share another hybrid I recently aquired.

It's from Michael Stevenson and he call it a Tanto (for obvious reasons). I see it more as an extremely interesting cross breeding between a Tanto a Parang and Pure american blood.
I absolutely love the handle, weight and balance on this "cross-over" genre.
IMG_20140824_142353_edit.jpgIMG_20140824_142426_edit.jpg

Quote from the maker:
It's 15" overall and weighs 20 oz.
The blade is 1095 spring steel 10" X 1. 1/4" and 1/4" thick.
The fittings are 1018 steel WELDED
to the full tang.

The handle is 4. 3/4" long with scales of light (natural finished) Curly Maple.
There is a lanyard hole in the pommel (no lanyard incl.).
The sheath is 10 oz. leather with black steel rivets and a
black steel snap.
It's cemented at the spacer and hand stitched
using doubled waxed nylon saddle stitching thread making for an
extremely rugged, rough use sheath.

The rough beveled blade is reheated in the forge to glowing red
and quenched in strained used motor oil. After it's cleaned of slag
it's brought back up in temp. until it can be struck with a file.
I leave the file marks showing. I like a handmade knife to look
handmade.
This is how I harden / temper my blades. They hold an edge
extremely well.

Another one I like most of. The tip transition isn't quite as smooth as a true tanto, I don't like what Americans have done with the tanto-point making it flat like a chisel or an extreme kareru kissaki, I prefer a slightly rounded kissaki like what you would see on a true Japanese tanto. This is a decent adaptation though except the yokote, I am not fond of the abruptness of that. As for the rest, very appealing knife and I am beginning to love curly maple. I hadn't seen much of it but lately seeing a lot and on knives I like the look of. I don't know what benefit you gain from welding the fittings to the tang, I guess you wont ever need to take it apart for cleaning. But it allows for an area behind the maple that you can't ever de-rust, maintain, I don't know how he finished the metal of the tang under the wood, but that might become an issue in a generation or 3 not so much an issue until then though. Is that a gap between the guard and the bolster, or just looks like one in the photo? All in all another one I would certainly encourage someone to send me if they wanted to give me a present, another really nice looking profile :D

I'd like a micro version of that same knife. Like the look. Make it about 8" long and I'd dig it.

Actually I dig it the way it is but kind of big to tote around.

Maybe I'm obsessed with "little" things?

(...) Is that a gap between the guard and the bolster, or just looks like one in the photo? All in all another one I would certainly encourage someone to send me if they wanted to give me a present, another really nice looking profile :D

Good eye Shavru. You are absolutely right about the gap. I was thinking of filling it with a waxed string or a waxed leather lace to seal it and prevent "infiltrations".

Most of my rigs will never see the light of work. The are just pretty objects I like to collect. So the next generation will see them just as they are right now.
Although for this one, I have an urge to try field work with it. It is begging me to take it out on the trail.

I think the leather would look good with that curly maple and the grey metal.
I definately understand the collecting part. I basically have 2 different collections users and ones I am caretaking for a next generation or 2 if I live that long... Sometimes I love to take out one of the Nihonto and put on the koshirae just for the pleasure of working with them. Then I spend a bit of time just looking and holding and trying to imagine the history of that particular piece based on the known providence. Or I take out one of my HI's and polish it gently just enjoying the feel of the polish running over the steel. These are the blades that I collect for the collections sake. Then there are the ones like my BVCAK that I take out of its sheath occasionally just to look at but usually it is too busy cutting anything and everything.

That has a fighting golok kinda look to it. The golok loka I used to teach with had a similar set of curves to it.

View attachment 465970View attachment 465969

Got me a bankung from the Philippines! It's brand new, made from spring steel. The skin on the scabbard is goat. Looking forward to testing it in the yard.
Both are very nice! The Indo looks like a parang nabur-I had one the same shape long ago.
I nabbed a binangong like the new one a few shows ago-thought I had a pic but not. I'll take one later.
Gehazi-mine is old but the binangong/bankung as a rule are pretty nimble in my experience-mine has quite a lot of distal taper.

Hey Blue! Thought it appropriate to btt this thread. I got a few swords since you last posted here so I thought id post a few quickie shots.
First this one: 1869 French Yatagan Bayonet that was used on the Chassepot rifle. Its very light compared to most HI knives and has no edge. Not vary rare but still cool. It even has inscriptions on the spine. Ill have to brush up on my French to translate them tho. Dont hold your breath waitin for that tho:D
a530b7101851163c55c9ab0b417fa613

And a couple HI blades. A Rajkumar Manjushree! My grail sword finally lands in my collection:thumbup: Thanks brother! You know who you are;)
Also a Yuvraj Wajisaki. Very cool short Katana:cool:

dc20b6e2a163deeb6f0126f46d504a4e

Ill get better pics soon. The carvings on the Manjushree are very well done.

10b6ce533711817bb232962e879dc33e

Niiiice! The spine of the Chassepot probably says when and where it was made, either St. Etienne or Chatellerault. The one I've got has a German made blade, but it's stamped by the hilt rather than along the spine.

Love the carvings on the Manjushree

Back