It's still StuntDouble's fault!

Once upon a time, I was a knife Knut.

There, I said it, and I'm not holding a candle. But its all on StuntDouble's door step. I used to be a real knife nut, carrying sometimes various number of knives. Opinel's, Buck knives, stockman knives, Barlow knives, even a sodbuster now and then.

But then came that post by StuntDouble on just multitools. I admit that once in a while I carried only a multitool, backed up with a smaller multitool. Lots of SAK's over the course of a lifetime. I think I've carried a SAK over most of the world's hemispheres. Germany, England, France, Libya, (in the pre Gadafi era when Wheelus Air Force base was in operation.) And even Vietnam for a tour.

BUT...that little three letter word...there was always some "real" knife around. In Vietnam my Buck knife. On the job in the Army engineers a Mercator K55 in Germany, sometimes a well worn Douk-Douk, whatever. But as I got older, the SAK started taking over. But I always hedged my bets, and there was that shallow one dimensional knife close by.

But...its all changed. More and more the SAK was starting to reign as my sole EDC. Up until this past year, there was a little Christy knife or Opinel number 5 in one of the pockets. But then StuntDouble got me to thinking of how often the SAK was my sole EDC, many times far from home like on vacation in Key West, and the world kept on turning, the sun still rose in the east, and I survived. A humble little classic fixed a motor scooter in Key West, fixed a defective gummed up fishing reel, fixed an electric trolling motor on a Maryland lake saving me a long paddle back. Coutless times having a screw driver handy fixed the situation.

Its been a while now since I've bothered carrying one of those one dimensional knife things now. In my pocket is an alox bantam, or cast, or my old war horse the Wenger SI. If I need pliers, the Leatherman squirt is on my keyring. But for quite a while now all my cutting has been done with a SAK of some sort. Including un boxing the big sofa my sister in law ordered online, and was cocooned in layers of cardboard. In fact, it was mummified in cardboard and packing tape. They must have held stock in a cardboard company. Yet in spite of people saying how SAK's don't hold an edge, I unpacked and then broke down about 10 square miles of cardboard without sharpening. Okay, maybe not 10 square miles, bu tit felt like. Once, the blade started to seriously drag, and thought I was going to have to touch it up on the little diamond hone in my wallet, but on close examination, it was just a build up of glue on the blade. Some Purell hand sanitizer on a paper towel clean dit off and I kept on cutting. At the end of the job, the tinker was still cutting clean. So much for lack of edge holding.

Soooo, here I am an old fart in the winter of my years, and I no longer carry a shallow one dimension knife. A one trick pony. Since I no longer carry then, I'm seriously thinking of giving away my few last remaining knives. If I'm not carrying or using them, why should I bother keeping them stuffed away in the back of the sock drawer? I'll just be a pure SAKist. When my shelf life is finally up, they won't find anything but SAK's in the sock drawer. Oh, the one well used Leatherman squirt will be there.

It'll be all StuntDouble's fault!;)

I think you'll probably have a minor change of opinion here and there.
At some point you'll probably think about how you have the squirt on you with it's tools and want to simply with a modest little dedicated knife for a bit.
You may find a cause to go back to the Christy knife or some other small pocket knife, maybe switch to using the squirt as your pocket knife.
We all go back and forth, we wouldn't be on this forum if we didn't have that tendency.
You are winding down but you're still a knife guy, you know exactly where your knife journey is going and you're certainly getting there but aren't quite there yet.
I'm willing to bet that you will always probably have at least a couple knives, and there will be a place for some kind of small dedicated pocket knife as well as a multi function knife from Victorinox.

As much as I'd like to take credit, I think you probably influenced me to take part in my little experiment in the first place. It was something of a life changer, in that it really did kill the knife knut in me. I sold off most of my dedicated folders, paring down to just my favorite ones to use as well as a couple sentimental pieces. The urge to buy anything else is gone, and I really do feel content with what I have now.

sWDv9gih.jpg

Those 5 are the main ones I carry now. The Leatherman gets left in the truck console most days right now, mainly because it's inconvenient to carry without a belt. The David Boye serves as the work knife, and once I'm off one of the SAK's goes in the pocket. I've still got a couple decades to catch up to you, but I don't know that I see myself adding any more to the accumulation unless it's very compelling.

I will probably never reach your point, Jack, but I will say that your musings on Maximum Minimalism have directly impacted me and my carry. This whole last week, I've carried only a Police 4 and a SAK in the pocket.

I always say, whenever people realize they only need a couple knives and sell all their Spyderco, Hinderer, ZT, whatever and just keep their SAK, I say "Do it, absolutely, get rid of those 8 PM2s if you need to, but if you have 100 total knives, 70 of which are Spyderco Delica value or above, you should at least keep like... an Ontario RAT or two, an Opinel or two, something like that, AROUND, just for tasks, for others, for whatever.

If I had a financial crisis and had to sell all my knives, I would still have a RAT and an Opinel. No reason to get rid of those - they're just good, not worth a re-sell.

Since I no longer carry then, I'm seriously thinking of giving away my few last remaining knives.
There is nothing more liberating than getting rid of unused stuff. In my part of the world, the humble SAK is king and emperor all in one. Over here, a 'pocket knife' is not a traditional pattern, but a SAK. That is why I have always been used to the tools on a SAK and I would not want it any other way. Even such a simple thing like the SD tip on a Classic is just so handy.

If I ever got a Christy knife, I would carry it for a given amount of time and try to do all my cutting tasks with it an an experiment.

Also, it is a virtue to give, lots of beginner knife-folks could use some nice sturdy knives like a Buck.

As much as I'd like to take credit, I think you probably influenced me to take part in my little experiment in the first place. It was something of a life changer, in that it really did kill the knife knut in me. I sold off most of my dedicated folders, paring down to just my favorite ones to use as well as a couple sentimental pieces. The urge to buy anything else is gone, and I really do feel content with what I have now.

sWDv9gih.jpg

Those 5 are the main ones I carry now. The Leatherman gets left in the truck console most days right now, mainly because it's inconvenient to carry without a belt. The David Boye serves as the work knife, and once I'm off one of the SAK's goes in the pocket. I've still got a couple decades to catch up to you, but I don't know that I see myself adding any more to the accumulation unless it's very compelling.

You put that very well; it killed the knife nut in me. I do feel very content with the few SAK's I have now, and the Leatherman squirt. They do all I need. When I need more blade, instead of a dedicated knife, my alox bantam does the cutting, or my cadet. They are my steady carry, with my old Wenger SI standing by for the heavy/dirty jobs. If I need a dedicated knife for real messy, like cleaning fish or camp cooking, the old Buck 102 woodsman is my go-to unfolding knife. Or the Victorinox serrated paring knife with the matching red plastic blade cover.

Yeah, contentment.

There is nothing more liberating than getting rid of unused stuff. In my part of the world, the humble SAK is king and emperor all in one. Over here, a 'pocket knife' is not a traditional pattern, but a SAK. That is why I have always been used to the tools on a SAK and I would not want it any other way. Even such a simple thing like the SD tip on a Classic is just so handy.

Never, but NEVER, under estimate the SD tip of the classic nail file. I've long lost count of how many Phillip's head screws I've dealt with over the decades with that SD tip. And the tweezers can open police issue handcuffs.

Getting ready for our twice a year trip out to Mission Viejo California, and its going to be an all SAK trip. No other knives will be along. My Wenger SI is going to be my main pocket knife for the duration of the trip, with the Leatherman squirt along in case of plier/wire cutter/teeny flat tip tiny Phillips need. Cadet will be on emergency standby in duffle bag.

My carry has been influenced by you and your great stories. I am content with the peanut my kids gave me. It has been an everyday companion for almost 6 years now. My vic pioneer has become my favorite sak. It is thin and simple and has just what i need for tools. I still carry my squirt and just last week got another classic to replace the one i lost a year ago. I have been on vacation this week and my classic has seen the most use. I used the scissors and tweezers the most. I have bigger leathermans i use from time to time. My st300 gets used for the heavy outdoors stuff and for now my skeletool is in a carry bag i keep in my vehicle that has medicine and some other handy things i use regularly but dont want to carry on my person. My peanut and my saks are enough for me. I am content.

My carry has been influenced by you and your great stories. I am content with the peanut my kids gave me. It has been an everyday companion for almost 6 years now. My vic pioneer has become my favorite sak. It is thin and simple and has just what i need for tools. I still carry my squirt and just last week got another classic to replace the one i lost a year ago. I have been on vacation this week and my classic has seen the most use. I used the scissors and tweezers the most. I have bigger leathermans i use from time to time. My st300 gets used for the heavy outdoors stuff and for now my skeletool is in a carry bag i keep in my vehicle that has medicine and some other handy things i use regularly but dont want to carry on my person. My peanut and my saks are enough for me. I am content.

Mike, my hats off to you! :thumbsup:

You've been so steadfast to your peanut that you deserve the Royal Order Of The Legume. Six years with a knife has to be some sort of record among those on a knife forum. Real loyalty. But it just got to show, how far you can get with a small pocket knife. A tip of the hat to Maximum Minimalism.

Mike, my hats off to you! :thumbsup:

You've been so steadfast to your peanut that you deserve the Royal Order Of The Legume. Six years with a knife has to be some sort of record among those on a knife forum. Real loyalty. But it just got to show, how far you can get with a small pocket knife. A tip of the hat to Maximum Minimalism.
Less bulk to lug around and i have found what truly works for me. I still have knife knut moments where i see something i like but after a bit i come back down to reality and relize those things dont do that much more then what i already have and they dont have the sentimental value my peanut has.

jackknife, before you get rid of those knives that survived at least two of you big purges, might we please have some photos and maybe a story behind them. Also, if you ever feel inclined to showcase the "Never getting rid of sentimental knives from friends etc" I reckon that'd be an automatic sticky post

Back