It's Time (Hults Burk)

It’s not Hults Bruk but your Emory oak and splitting conversation in general crossed my mind.

6-D9751-F2-904-F-43-A5-A6-E9-9-CB9258-BB8-DE.jpg

I saw and read those specs and thought that sounded soft for what I want out of this axe. If it doesn't preform the tasks the way I want,
I'll remove the handle and reheat treat it. Bumping it up some higher so it can handle hammering a wedge. Thanks for the input. DM

The eye walls are relatively thick so they might handle light sledge duty as is. I'd be damn careful about messing with the temper. If you must then I'd keep the bit cool the whole time by tying a wet rag around it and squirting it with water the whole time the poll and eye are heating. And I would immediately give it a couple tempering cycles right after quench.

Good advice. So, you think the bit is about right. The poll area may need to be harder. I'll find out once I give it a test drive. Thanks, DM

The flat head fire axe is designed to cut thru roofing with the poll, which never gets stuck like the bit can.

This guy isn't the most skilled I've seen. Experienced firefighters would do this in 1/4 the time. But it gives you an idea how the axe is used.

some others

This guy rocks it with the bit.

Thanks Square Peg for looking up these videos.
Agent, thanks for the photo of a strong looking wedge. DM

Just look at this oak, it has some good knots in it and splits like a miser parting with a dollar. There are 3 sticks of pine in this load that I'll
split further into kindling for fire starter. Have a warm Thanksgiving. DM

Yes, like you enjoyed the workout. My 6 lb. Council is scheduled for delivery today so, I'll put off this morning splitting until I get it. Thanks, gents for the comments. DM

Back