It's too big.

I have many years working with lithic (stone) technology and I can tell you that there is nothing sharper than a fine obsidian knife, and that includes modern surgical scalpels.

Perhaps, but there is a reason stone tools were supplanted by their metal counterparts. Stone may be able to get microscopically sharp, but they aren't as strong and durable as a steel blade. How is your knife technique? Mine could always use more work. I struggle with perfect form, and occasionally torque the blade during cutting. With the thin blade on a slipjoint, this sometimes results in a rolled edge. Do that with an obsidian blade and it'll chip out. Say good bye to your scalpel edge. Sorry, but I have little use for edges that fragile. It's the reason I don't use my straight razor as a pocketknife, despite it having the sharpest edge in my arsenal.

That's what she said.

Seriously though I really enjoyed the story. My dad guts all the deer we get with a small slip joint no larger than 3 inches. I always wanted a "hunting" knife but he taught me pretty quick what was actually needed to do the task at hand. Always better to have something with you then to have it left behind.

Perhaps, but there is a reason stone tools were supplanted by their metal counterparts. Stone may be able to get microscopically sharp, but they aren't as strong and durable as a steel blade. How is your knife technique? Mine could always use more work. I struggle with perfect form, and occasionally torque the blade during cutting. With the thin blade on a slipjoint, this sometimes results in a rolled edge. Do that with an obsidian blade and it'll chip out. Say good bye to your scalpel edge. Sorry, but I have little use for edges that fragile. It's the reason I don't use my straight razor as a pocketknife, despite it having the sharpest edge in my arsenal.
I wasn't trying to say that obsidian was better than steel. I was just trying to take out the surprise factor that stone tools could accomplish what that did. After all, there's always something better. Stone, metal, lasers, light swords, Harry Potter magic wands.

Have a link for those laser swords and Harry Potter wands? I've long been curious about those.

What a great story! Although I was never a scout, I always believed in carrying with you what you might need, while keeping the size and quantity to a minimum to keep things light. I always carry E15 on my keychain and always have at least one pocket knife with me as well as a zippo lighter (converted to butane). I keep a folder with me for general use and I also keep a modern single hand operation knife with me in the event I am unable to use both arms/hands. I work in a different city than where I live so I am on the highway a lot. Our winters can get pretty bad at times and you never know what you'll encounter. On an average winter day, there will be at least three cars in the ditch. If we ever end up in the ditch, I want to be prepared.

Great story, you gave that girl a night she'll never forget (and it doesn't have to do with the title :)

As always, thanks for the enjoyable read, Jackknife. I'm noticing that my recent knife choices have been for those that are smaller and easy to take with you all the time. I've had a few unexpected nights in the woods myself. It pays to be prepared.

Always good to "hear" your words of wisdom carl, and we all got a good story out of it to boot. Thanks

I admire folks with enough restraint to carry small.
I usually have a full size multitool, Sak, cr123 light, traditional and (when I'm at work) box cutter.
The thing is, I carry them all the time but I add about 3 lbs to my waist.

Maybe one day I'll be smart enough to trim down but it doesn't come easily for me ;)

Thank you, Carl, for taking the time to tell us this wonderful story. I love your stories and wisdom. This is another reminder for me to scale back on what I carry. Lately I've been carrying a Case Peanut, SAK Recruit, Buck 389 Canoe, Buck 303, Buck small Vantage Select, and a Fenix E05. Too much in my pockets! I need minimize.

Alex

Awesome story! I tend to follow a redundant carry setup. The extra weight isn't that overwhelming. Usually a modern folder or fixed blade about 4". A multitool or smaller traditional. I know your scout leader mentioned that big tools tend to be left behind by accident; I carry a backup in case the tool fails or is lost. I have never lost or left a tool behind while hiking/camping/hunting as of yet but there's always a chance. Many times I have extra items and usually someone in my group forgot to bring one so I'm prepared.
I agree that some items are just too big and not needed but like you said situations can change drastically. It's impossible to prepare for every outcome but I do my best to be prepared for what I can which is usually based on past experiences, the environment I'm in at the time, and the experience level of the group I'm with.
Thanks again for the great story [emoji106]

Thank you, Carl, for taking the time to tell us this wonderful story. I love your stories and wisdom. This is another reminder for me to scale back on what I carry. Lately I've been carrying a Case Peanut, SAK Recruit, Buck 389 Canoe, Buck 303, Buck small Vantage Select, and a Fenix E05. Too much in my pockets! I need minimize.

Alex

It sounds like you've already minimized! That's a pretty darn good list of small yet very capable pocket knives, and the Fenix is a great light. Sounds like you have a very good handle on things. :thumbup:

Thank you Carl, finding your story this morning has made my day! I'm in the process of reading all your stories here on the forum. I never read more than one a day, I'm savoring them. At a minimum I always have a small knife(peanut, medium stockman or SAK), Bic lighter, and a 1AA flashlight in my pocket.

I feel sure the young lady's father had a rather pointed discussion with his daughter.

Great story Carl.

You know, back in those days, I would have never dreamed of making a shelter of any kind unless it was raining. But, I have never spent a night in the woods that was not predetermined. It could happen tomorrow.

As I got older, I was more prepared for unpleasant scenarios, but for the most part, they haven't happened other than ankle twists and so forth in the woods and I hobble out with my walking stick. But, I can honestly say that I always had the necessities with me regardless of when it was. Often it was only some matches, a small folder, and sometimes a flashlight. The flashlight is something that I really only started carrying after my teens when I had my own money as was more attuned to possible things happening that I have little control over. I never carried a day pack on day hikes unless I was taking pictures and then it was for camera stuff. Water, not usually, but the store bought water bottles are quite handy now. Basically, I carry stuff that might minimize the "terror factor" and a light source and fire is critical for that.

The "It's too big" advice to kids is interesting.

Back