I've been cloned! (trying to take it as a compliment)

I got a heads up this morning on IG that one of my chop mods was being counterfeited and sold on Ali. Checked it out, and sure enough, there's a 'Jufule 535 mini-chop' being sold that is an exact copy of my modded Benchmade Ti Bugout, which was a one-off mod that I gave away on IG as a 1k giveaway prize a couple of months ago.
Here's a pic of my chop:
pEYSrm9.jpg

Here's a vid w/ more angles/details:
https://imgur.com/95P8NZF

Here's the clone:
IgyJG9a.jpg

Not sure how I feel about this. It's definitely shady and unscrupulous, but I also think that they're inadvertently helping me advertise my work, and not infringing on any of the small profits I do make from modding. The mini Bugout was a one-off, and I've never had any requests to chop anyone else's (versus Smocks and Bugouts which I chop constantly). I'm also just cracking up imagining this big factory recreating my backyard dremel tool/budget HF grinder antics...

I would personally take that as a compliment. It's kind of like the old saying in advertising "call me anything you want, just call me!" In other words, I thg think they are helping get the word out on your design. Knife guys will forever look at that as a clone, and since knife guys will no doubt be your target audience should you decide to pursue your grinding, you haven't lost a thing.

You could change the name of your model to "The original mini-chop" so if someone searches for that knife yours would show up too.

I have a friend of mine that lives in Houston and he constantly goes to the TSA Warehouse to buy knives out of bins. He never pays much for any of them and very occasionally he will wind up with a real gem. As a dedicated tinkerer he has been modifying knives of all sorts for years. He buys a few confiscated knives and he starts grinding and cutting. He actually started by repairing knives for his friends that were damaged from use or abuse. Now, he has done so many knives for so many people ground up so many on his own for sale or fun that no knife is safe! Nearly anytime I pull out a knife around him he has to take it from me and study on it. Then he likes to say " you know what you could do with this..."

I cringe and take my knife back!

Robert

It's probably 3Cr13 or 5Cr15 but I'd take the dubious honor. You must be making a splash if some shady factory on the other side of the planet is mass-producing a copy of your one-off mod.

Too funny. Did you buy one though? ;)

Looking at it now, maybe it was some of your best work? What a great design!

Regardless, not much you can do but laugh and appreciate the fact that your design is now in production. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: Maybe team up with Benchmade on this?

Cool knife. Very nice (your knife)!
You are helping to feed extremely poor people in a third world country. Who here can say that?
Thanks man, that cracked me up - I think an internal organ failed me I was busting up so hard!!!

To the OP: You have a great attitude!
Thanks Billy!
Take it as a compliment, 'cause it is. Ever wonder what the BM designer thinks of your "chop". :)
Thanks brownshoe! Yeah, I'm definitely curious. I tend to think most designers aren't super excited to see me mess w/ their designs, but who knows?
It's probably 3Cr13 or 5Cr15 but I'd take the dubious honor. You must be making a splash if some shady factory on the other side of the planet is mass-producing a copy of your one-off mod.
Thanks Chronovore - I'm hoping that's the case (splashing, that is)!

Last edited:
Too funny. Did you buy one though? ;)

Looking at it now, maybe it was some of your best work? What a great design!

Regardless, not much you can do but laugh and appreciate the fact that your design is now in production. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: Maybe team up with Benchmade on this?
Thanks AZ, much appreciated brotha! Let me go down the line and answer:
- Yep, couldn't help but buy one! Really curious to check it out.
- I would definitely love to team up w/ Benchmade for anything!!!

I here you on " trying to take it as a compliment"
On the one hand, your work is now considered by many to be profitable.
That's a big deal considering how hard it can be to make a profit in such a saturated market.
You gotta really stand out when there's so many standing next to you if you wanna make it.
On the other hand, copying someone and taking credit for their work is a strange way to be complimented.

It's probably 3Cr13 or 5Cr15 but I'd take the dubious honor.
No way, but it says it's D2 marked as S30V! Suuuurely they wouldn't lie about the steel twice! :rolleyes:

Also, I didn't know these chops were a thing, but now I'm tempted to get my mini Bugout done...

Last edited:
Back