1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

I've been liking my Manix2

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by bdmicarta, Sep 22, 2013.

1. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I found a good deal on a Manix2 so I thought I'd buy it and try it out. When I got it my immediate impressions were that it is heavy and feels solid, it is fairly tall when closed, the handle feels good to me, the lock operates well and the blade deploys very smoothly, but I really don't like the looks of the hollow ground blade. That almost killed it for me and I was considering getting rid of the knife.

I didn't know how well the lock would work compared to an axis lock and I discovered that it took a thumb and finger to operate it, so I couldn't close it like an axis lock knife. I did discover that it is very easy to close by pointing it downward slightly then pulling the lock with thumb and forefinger. The blade drops most of the way to the closed position and then you finish closing it manually. This is actually very quick and easy to do, about as quick and easy as any other lock that I have. I also discovered that I can thumb-flick the blade open very fast- stick the end of my thumb in the blade hole and then flick my thumb outwards. Because of the way it operates I've come to like the knife more and more, despite the blade grind.

My wife and I are preparing to move and today I was packing boxes. I went to the close and thought about which knife I could get out to use today that would operate quickly and easily and I wouldn't worry about cutting cardboard and tape with it. I picked the Manix2 and it turned out to work well and be easy to use all day. I'm thinking I need to find one of the FFG versions to put into my EDC rotation.

2. Cereal_killer

Cereal_killer

Apr 4, 2013
    I have a question, and thank you BTW for the detailed explination of how it [the lock] works, I've had my eye on a manix for a while now but when its time to buy I always choose something else, one of the reasons being the axis lock has spoiled me so I'm not so sure about the BB-lock. Can you tell what keeps it from Being able to operate one fingered? Is it getting off axis and binding up or is the spring just to strong or what? Can you see any possible ways to moddify it to work one finger?

Anyway thanks for sharing, and glad its making you happy.

3. PropThePolecat

PropThePolecat

Jan 31, 2009
    The spring is too strong and the lock itself does not stick out so much, that you can get a solid grip with one finger.

4. BatCountry9

BatCountry9

Mar 31, 2013
    The blue lightweight was my first Manix model and I love it. Not long after, I got an all black XL. Haven't tried the hollow grind. Mostly cuz I'm kind of a nut for all the FFG Spydies. If you want to try the FFG, the blue or black lightweights are a great, cheap (about $70) way to get into them.

5. LostViking

LostViking Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    After my success with the Bushcraft UK, my first Spyderco. I grabbed a Manix 2 HG with G10 used but NIB from the for sale thread.
    My first folder in eons. And my first serious folder ever. Older than Schrades from the sixties and seventies.

It is a very impressive tool to say the least. Shaving sharp, solid as all get out, pretty to look at too.

So much so, that I just traded another knife for a NIB Tuff. After seeing the build quality of the Manix and the solid way it is put together, I can't wait to see what a heavy duty Spyderco looks like.

I can not believe I never really noticed the folder revolution taking place right under my nose.

Spyderco has impressed me a great deal. Not only with it's build quality, but also it's outside of the box thinking and designs. Maybe every one won't be a home run for them, but at least they have the guts to try new things.

In a little over a month, I have purchased three and I'm looking hard at #4. That says a lot, especially coming from an old fixed blade guy whose motto used to be "why would you buy a knife that is already broken?"

6. racer88

racer88

Nov 4, 2010
    The Manix 2 is a great series from Spyderco.

[​IMG]

7. LostViking

LostViking Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    The biggest danger I see with Spyderco is. There are too many of them and they're all nice.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$,

For some unknown reason, I really like the tranclucent blue one!

8. yoko

yoko Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 4, 2011
    I love my manix
    [​IMG]

9. testosterone325

testosterone325

Jul 4, 2013
    The manix is one heck of a knife. Currently my favorite folder with my paramilitary 2's close behind. As for the hollow grind blade, I wasn't a fan at first but I quickly realized that it's sharper than any other knife I own. I tried getting that type of edge on my other knives with my sharpmaker but no luck. I need a more aggressive sharpener to bring the angle steeper. Got an edge pro apex on the way so that should take care of the problem. My other knives can easily shave hair but my manix is ridiculously sharper. I can only attribute it to the grind. So I'm quickly learning to love the hollow grind.

10. MaxFactor

MaxFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 26, 2012
    ... attaboy.

I've been lusting after a CTS-XHP and an M4 Manix for some time. I fully intend to acquire the two, just need to find some reasonable deals.

Yup. Pretty much. The lock on my Manix2 lightweight is definitely more difficult to operate than the Axis on my Contego. But should you be more concerned with how your knife closes or how it performs when it's open?

At any rate, you really can't go wrong with the Manix2 lightweight for that price. The FFG slices beautifully and, to be honest, I can't see why you'd want any other grind.

I use my Manix primarily at work to quickly cut the tops of off grain and flour bags. I work in the bulk section of a natural foods co-op at the moment... the hippies scatter when they see my blade shimmering.

11. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    I recall Seelow flat convert his Manix. Maybe you can ask him for a mod job ;)

12. Ridgeback08

Ridgeback08

Feb 10, 2008
    Have to love the Manix2, great write-up for a great knife. Only have a FFG sprint version so far, the thing holding me back on the standard model is the grind but I'm trying to decide if I should just get over the aesthetic issue I have and see how it performs. Maybe Spyderco will switch it over to FFG being standard, time will tell. Either way a great model!

13. bdmicarta

Feb 16, 2012
    I don't think there is anything slow about the operation of my Manix2. I've been using mine all day to help with my boxing and packing activities, and this requires completely one-handed operation. The way I've explained the operation, I shift the knife in my hand slightly, operate the lock with thumb and finger, gravity closes the blade most of the way very quickly, my fingertips close it the rest of the way and I'm done.

14. MaxFactor

MaxFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 26, 2012
    I didn't intend to say that it opens or closes slowly. In fact, I'm pretty sure I operate mine exactly the way you described your technique.

The point that I was really trying to convey was that I value a knife's cutting/edge performance over anything else; granted, I recognize the immense value in a knife that can operate effortlessly and cut well. That being said, in my opinion the Manix2 meets all of those criteria.

15. FW JSB

FW JSB

Dec 28, 2012
    I have a Manix 2 on the way from KC and I'm looking forward to using it. As for the Axis lock on my Benchmades, I've always used my thumb and forefinger to operate it anyway, so I'm not sure what the issue would be with the Manix. The axis operates much more smoothly using two fingers, so it just seems the most natural way to use it.

16. FW JSB

FW JSB

Dec 28, 2012
    Every grind has its strengths and weaknesses.

17. TwoRavens81

TwoRavens81

May 2, 2013
    I can easily just grip the knife, pull the lock back, and flip the blade open and closed just like an axis lock...you do def need two fingers though, but it works great...my fav spydie

18. testosterone325

testosterone325

Jul 4, 2013
    Absolutely I totally agree. After getting the hollow ground manix, I'm starting to see the advantages (and disadvantages) directly related to blade geometry. I'm still fairly new to the world of knives and prior to acquiring my hollow ground manix, I was an FFG guy all the way. That's why I got a PM2 and a Manix lightweight beforehand. My ignorance and closed mindedness wasn't letting me benefit from having a possibly more functional and desirable tool depending on the cutting task being dealt with. I was totally and unreasonably biased. I still am I suppose, because I really want to make my PM2 have an edge as sharp and steep as my Manix 2. But I realize by doing so, I would be ruining the advantages of that blades particular geometry. That being said, I'm definitely open to other options now because as you mentioned, each type of blade grind has its own set of strengths and weaknesses which possibly better suits it to certain cutting tasks over others, which I'm now going to try and take advantage of.

19. bdmicarta

Feb 16, 2012
    I've been cutting more boxes and tape today.
    I noticed that I do the final blade closing with my thumb, not my fingertips.

20. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    Just curious, which manix do you have, the lightweight?