I've been missing out with the FRN models...

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by jstn, Jan 24, 2019.

1. amateur blacksmith

amateur blacksmith

May 19, 2018
    FRN will get me to buy a Para 3. PM 2 with FRN is a no brainer. I cant wait!!! Especially for a salt version with the signature yellow scales. Light and durable. plenty of grip. Takes some crazy abuse to break.

Lapedog likes this.
  2. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    Most of mine are FRNs. :D

vba, jstn and Lapedog like this.
  3. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    That's what I'm really holding out for. Either Para 3 or PM2 with LC200N and I will be thrilled.

4. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I'm afraid I have to agree. FRCP was conspicuously absent from my list of “likes” up above.

That said, I still like the M2 LW in spite of the FRCP.

vba, Chris "Anagarika" and Kreyzhorse like this.
  5. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Jstn,

A pretty common problem of judging by eye instead of using your brain and hands. It is just my opinion, but I believe that if most knife afi's would get more out of their purchase if they would try to experience the whole knife before making decisions. "Experiencing" the design, feel, weight, balance, cutting, sharpening, carrying and any function that was built into the design. Kind of a communication between the designer and the individuals that actually made the knife, for you the end line user. Our Golden knife-makers are very proud of their achievement to build these tools. I'm sure our makers overseas share the same passion. Look at the knife as a sharing between you, the designer and the makers.

FRN is an exceptional material for knives.' Blackie Collins first brought it to market with Gerber's LST which he designed.

sal

vba, MolokaiRider, Boxer .45 and 3 others like this.
  6. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Thanks for the reply, and the sage advice, Sal. And thanks for consistently putting out innovative and functional knives. Spyderco really does seem to excel at building knives that perform, and I think that is part of their beauty!

vba likes this.
  7. luke86

luke86

Mar 29, 2015
    I used to steer clear of frn as well. Thought is was cheap and flimsy and wouldn't hold up. Preferred all the more exotic/higher end materials. Finally gave frn a true shot and now its all I carry. Lightweight and very functional. Not to mention the models are usually cheaper leaving more funds for more knives.

vba likes this.
  8. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    I had zero interest in the Para 3 until the lightweight announcement. FRN/FRCP is really great stuff.

sliceofaloha likes this.
  9. DShiflet

DShiflet

Jan 25, 2013
    My very first non "budget" folder was a Native Lightweight. Since then I've picked up a newer Native 5 Lightweight, 3 Enduras, 2 Delicas, 2 Delica Wharncliffes, a Salt Wharncliffe, a Tasman Salt, a Sppderhawk Salt, 2 Manix 2 Lightweights, a Dragonfly, a Ladybug, a Ladybug Hawkbill, and a Manbug, as well as a Byrd Cara Cara 2 and Byrd Hawkbill, all with FRN. My next purchase will be a Native 5 Salt, and I'm definitely planning on picking up the Endura Wharncliffe when it comes out so...I got no issues with FRN.

vba and Chris "Anagarika" like this.
  10. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    This FRN talk has me drooling over 4 spyderco knives and crying at the site of my wallet.
    Manix 2 LW Maxamet, Native 5 Salt LC200N, UK Penknife LW S110V, & Para 3 LW BD1N

11. Sharp Guy

Sharp Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    All 4 are fine choices. I have several of Spyderco's FRN/FRCP models and I enjoy them all. I'm looking forward to adding a Para 3 LW to the collection.

12. Gizler00

Gizler00 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I have always liked Spydercos FRN. I had an endura way back in the early 90’s. It was my first Spyderco, and first time with frn. I carried it for years and years, until I reluctantly sold it for more spydercos. Now my frn Spydercos consist of a few delicas. I have found that it is an amazing material for all sorts of work/uses when needing a knife. When it’s cold it grips, when it’s hot it grips, when it’s grease covered it grips.......you get the point.

Damnit.....now I need a new frn spidey! Maybe an endura4 or a KWL manix......maybe both!!!! I hate this place!

vba likes this.
  13. Shane77

Shane77

Aug 23, 2018
    I felt the same way, I prefer G-10, but I am so glad I tried my first frn model. They definitely aren't what they seem, much much better in person.

14. TRfromMT

TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    My first FRx was the Maxamet Manix 2. Instant, hard pass. I can squeeze the handle and flex the plastic. I'm not going to find out how durable that is over time. As such, I'm now not at all interested in any other FRx model.

So, my perception is my reality. Message from the designer aside, and maybe I am truly missing out, but my brain said "This thing is cheap!" and I became convinced of it instantly. The knife went back up for sale at a substantial loss. Oh well.

Fortunately, there are about a thousand other models my brain says, "Must try!", including the Manix 2 4V from Fradon.

15. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I agree. On inexpensive and small knives, FRN/FRCP are fine choices as handle materials. But on knives like PM2, Military, and Manix 2, I definitely prefer G10 or CF. Had two light weight Manix 2 and sold both. The handles are not as comfy as G10 and feel cheap. On the other hand, Delica handle feels great.

16. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    I have two hap40 delicas. One wharny in frn and a standard blade pattern in pakkawood. I vastly prefer the frn scales. It’s lightweight and contoured perfectly. To me it’s like a mora. It’s not going to win a beauty contest but when work needs to be done it’s where it’s at.