I've never been a fan of diresta's axe videos

Not for me either. I knew something was going to happen to that Double Bit.
Big shop and some serious equipment.

I love to watch him work and how he goes about stuff, but axes are definitely not something he should work his DIRESTA magic on.
Solid aluminum handle ?
Epoxied wenge handle ?
Polishing them up :mad:

I may be a bit snobby about it, but I feel than an axe MUST be kept traditional and to polish it up and remove patina looks SHIT and I swear I can smell it because it makes me sick. I so think non traditional handle shapes are ugly, but don't hate too much if they did alright by the head itself.

All of Diresta's videos where he's cutting up and mutilating good old tools make me a bit nauseous. :eek:

I want to see that printing press in action
I stopped by a little town here a couple years ago and walked into a old shop because I didn't know what it was. Turned out it was a local newspaper that had been in business since the eighteen hundreds and they where still printing a weekly paper on the original presses. I got the grand tour. It was fascinating and I gathered that the old guy just liked doing it and was going to continue to do it just like his father before him.
I love rural out of the way people and places.

well, does this change anything?

I just finished watching that earlier and also thought about posting it here.
Maybe I'm being too critical but anyone wanting to take an axe class should always watch an axe to grind first.
I noticed a couple things in this.
There was a guy filing a convex cheeked axe who didn't seem to even know what a banana grind was ( something one teaching an axe class should know and teach )
And he was filling into the bit of an axe without wearing any gloves or having a leather guard on the file.
If I was teaching an axe class, the first thing I'd teach was safety in all aspects from using to transporting to maintaining them.
I'd personally take everything the guy told me with a grain of salt.
I'm no expert, but I know all the basics and I don't think said teacher taught all of them.

I stopped by a little town here a couple years ago and walked into a old shop because I didn't know what it was. Turned out it was a local newspaper that had been in business since the eighteen hundreds and they where still printing a weekly paper on the original presses. I got the grand tour. It was fascinating and I gathered that the old guy just liked doing it and was going to continue to do it just like his father before him.
I love rural out of the way people and places.

Me too and what a great experience for you. You should venture back that way and check in see how he is doing.

I just finished watching that earlier and also thought about posting it here.
Maybe I'm being too critical but anyone wanting to take an axe class should always watch an axe to grind first.

Not to critical.
I agree, that video should just be watched by anyone who is interested in buying and using an axe for any reason.
I wish there were follow up videos or videos on other topics such as the historic building restorations.
But to stay on topic, an axe to grind is the video that all others follow.
That's my 2¢
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back