Ivory Micarta

I believe RMK used to offer this material as a handle option but now discontinued. Any body know of the reason(s) why? Does it get dirty or stained easily?

Thanks,
Barnaby

In an April 1992 Randall Knife Society newsletter #14 we find.

The Randall shop has been experiencing problems with their white micarta handles for the last three to four months. It seems that the micarta's color is very washed out -- a stark white -- and also tends to check and crack. Gary says that several knives had to be rehandled due to cracks. This micarta is made by Westinghouse for computer boards, but is used by knife makers for knife handles. Westinghouse is the only producer of this material.

Then in the December 1994, newsletter #24 we find.

More from the Randall Shop on the ivorite (ivory micarta) handle material. Ivorite (part number IM3) has been discontinued on large bowie knives and Randall asks their customers to consider other handle materials. This was done due to black specks in the material.

Not long after that white or ivory micarta was discontinued altogether due to this black speck problem and not being able to find another supplier. //// Rhett

Thanks Rhett. I only have one Randall for now (#16) and is thinking of another one, a more practical user with a custom handle. I use my #16, but I don't need to chop a tree down everyday, if you know what I mean ;)

Barnaby

Hi Barnaby,

A higher grade white micarta is available from some of the knife
supply houses. You might check with a few of them if you are
interested in this particular handle material. I don't know which
ones carry what so I can't reccomend one. The shop will put material
supplied by a customer on a knife handle but there is an extra charge
and the shop will not assume liability for the material if it is
damaged. You can check with the Randall office at 407-855-8075 (or
email at grandall@randallknives.com) to find out the
specifics.

Dwight

Thats too bad that it has been discontinued. I have a beautiful little Randal dagger, stainless blade with the ivory micarta that is three to five years old I think. It has had no problems yet. It is not used much, but it is a good looking kife.

Back