ivory paper micarta

Hey guys, let me preface this with saying I have checked maybe a dozen of the suppliers in the sticky and ebay, but where can I find some ivory paper based micarta? I think I have settled on this because I can't afford real ivory and it seems to be the closest looking from what I can tell. This is going to go on the Gentleman's Bowie I am working on currently and maybe some NS bolsters. If anyone has a link that would be great.

-Xander

Now how in the hell did I miss that?! Well thanks! I must of just skipped over them in the list, but I could of sworn I checked them along with the others. I guess this is what happens when it gets close to your birthday.

Thanx-
-Xander

Patrick, thanx for that link. I saw that and was a little curious about it. Good to hear that someone else likes it. Do you have any idea what it is made from? I may go with that, but do you have any pics of it on finished knives? And what is the recommended finish for it?

-Xander

Imo by the way, I don't use it as a substitute for ivory. It's not very similar really. I use it for what it is- I like the look of it just fine. And it'll never split on you like ivory may.

Sorry I dont have pics, its turns out really nice. Just sand to 1000+ I did not put any other finish on, its some type of plastic.

Cool, thanx Patrick. I may try that out.

Salem, I know what you mean about it not being a replacement, but I guess I was trying to say I want something that is close in color and smooth to the touch.

Thanx everyone
-Xander

www.usaknifemaker.com has it too, and the owner is a knifemaker and bladeforums member.
To chime in with the crowd, it's not going to fool knife collectors (not that you're trying to), it's just similar. And like some of the others above, I like it pretty well on its own merits.

Does anyone know where to get ivory paper micarta in liner thickness (~1/32")?

Masecraft has the thinnest I've seen at 1/16", but I was wondering if there's thinner stuff anywhere. Unfortunately they also have a $50 minimum order.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is that what most places call "ivory" micarta does not actually look like ivory. The stuff that I have found that more resembles actual ivory is called called "antique linear" paper micarta. I get mine at Sheffield Supply.

Here are two pics to show the difference in colors.

"ivory" paper micarta

720b0599.jpg

and "antique linear" paper micarta

file-27.jpg

The color/type J.Oser is talking about is called "Antique Linen" Micarta. I like it,too. It would work well on a bowie.
There are several suppliers who carry lots of G-10 and Micarta products. Alpha Knife Supply has a large inventory and size selection.
http://www.alphaknifesupply.com/micarta.htm

I have used several of the ivory simulants, and a few look pretty good. The negative is that the are basically plastic. Micarta is a handle material of accepted status all by itself. Don't consider it as looking like ivory, but as an alternate to it.

Final note......White paper Micarta is very hard to get a good finish on. Actually, all paper Micarta is hard to finish. It stains and smudges easily. You almost have to hand sand it under water. I stopped using it a long time ago. I use linen and canvas Micarta or G-10.

Stacy, the antique linear paper micarta I used is actually a paper based micarta, not linen. I have only found it at the one place. I also use antique linen and I agree that paper based micarta is very difficult to keep clean while sanding.

White paper Micarta should be wet-sanded, then buffed with green compound on a loose buff. It will pick up buffing compound, but a good scrubbing with dish detergent mixed with baking soda (form a thick paste) will remove the discoloration. When dry, wax.

White paper Micarta should be wet-sanded, then buffed with green compound on a loose buff. It will pick up buffing compound, but a good scrubbing with dish detergent mixed with baking soda (form a thick paste) will remove the discoloration. When dry, wax.
Have you tried Zam or any of the tin oxide or white rouge compounds? That's what I use (with dedicated buff wheels) when working bone or ivory.

I use Zam, but don't use dedicated buffs. Hence, the cleaning suggestions.
Never had any luck with white linen Micarta. It's just too porous.

Back