J.B Moore Mini Trapper

nifrand

Custom Knife Forum Mod
Waiting for me when I got home from Oregon.
2 1/2 clip,2 3/4 spey, D2 steel,Green Bone.
J.B 's knives are crisp ,clean and a good bargain.Made me this one from the Las Vegas Show which was in Feb.Love it.
What do you think?

nifrand, I can imagine what your knife looks like. I have a JB Moore trapper (ATS-34 blades w/jigged bone scales) and the fit and finish on it is, imo, top drawer. I happen to like JB's clip point profile over that of other makers' designs. My trapper is fairly hefty and I always wonder how a smaller version would compare for EDC duty. The mini-trapper must have been on your mind for some time--Nice Score!

Thank's nifrand! The reason I asked is that I met Jim Moore at one of the first custom knife shows I ever attended, back around 1995, at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. I bought a little trailing point hunter fixed blade from him, which was very affordable and, since I did not have any idea of quality or design in customs at the time, seemed to be an attractive bargain. As I learned more, and bought more custom knives, this little hunter has become one of my favorites! The quality of the workmanship and the absolute comfort of just holding it continue to amaze me.

At the next year's show Jim not only remembered me but he recalled which knife I had bought! He was all sold out on Saturday afternoon, so we had a long chat about this and that and I was struck by what a nice guy he was. I was determined to buy another knife from the next year, but, though he was scheduled to attend, he never showed up. There was an empty table with his name on it, but no J.B.Moore. This situation recurred the next year, and since then I don't think he has attended any shows in this area.

I have always wondered what happened to him and I'm glad to hear that he is still around... and making attractive folders now too!

John,
He is now recovering from knee surgery.(his second in a year I think)
Real interesting guy.Used to be a State hunter.That would give him a heads up on what to use in the field.Makes great knives.I plan on a couple more purchases from him.
Randy

nifrand, it may be coincidental but soon after you posted about your JB Moore mini-trapper I noticed the asking price of one of JB's knife that is being sold through an internet dealer increase by $25 without explanation. Someone there must be watching these forums. ;)

Back