J P Peltonen Ranger knife m 07

Name:
J P Peltonen Ranger knife m07 (10470)
Also called the sissipuukko. This name refers to the use of the older version (m95) in the Finish special forces. The difference between the m07 and the m95 is only blade length and blade width. The m07 is 2-3cm shorter but 2.5mm wider.

SPECS.:
Blade length: 12cm
Cutting edge: 12.5cm (the to length is because of the angled transition from handle to blade)
Total length: 25cm
Blade thickness: 5.3 at the middle of the blade
Blade width: 26.5mm
Blade shape: Full flat grind, drop point and a long sweep.
Weight: 198g knife only, 274 with sheath, 294 with leather piece.
Spine: rounded edges.
Blade: Hand forged carbon steel with carbon content of .55-.60% .
Hardness: Differential heat treatment. The blade is ca. 58RC and the spine is ca. 45RC (?).
Sheath: 3mm black leather with a plastic liner and a unique rolling lock that gives almost to much retention of the knife.
Handle material: Hard thermo rubber - very similar to Kraton or Thermorun (seen in Fallkniven’s)
Price 86€ + 10€ (shipping) to Denmark from Finland. Available at www.brisa.fi
Made in Finland by Fiskars

Some Testing:
Date: 23/12-10
temp.: -3C
40cm snow
Aim: Firemaking

BATONING: The m07 did perfect but I had no thick, hard and knotty wood to baton. I could only some easy stuff. The m07 has good splitting thickness but will lack some length for splitting logs (make some wedges!).

CROSS GRAIN BATONING: No problem for the m07 but the relatively fat (5.3mm thick) blade is difficult to hammer through wood cross grain - e.g. the 2.5mm thick CS Bushman blast through wood in cross grain batoning.

CHOPPING: Tested the m07 against the ESEE4 and the m07 was way better due to better penetration and the handle of the m07 is perfect for chopping with partial grip and a lanyard around my wrist (Remember that this is still only a 198g heavy blade!). The m07 also chops better than the Cold Steel Bushman.

CARVING FEATHER STICKS:
The m07 is good at this! Better than my Enzo Trapper, Fallkniven F1, ESEE4, ESEE Izula, Becker Necker, Condor Bushcraft 4”. Only Frost Mora’s as always can beat the m07 in the carving tasks. (I do not show delicate feather sticks in the pics. The ones shown is some fast ones done with gloves on)

TIP WORK:
No problem - the tip is strong although its quite thin as the blade tapers done to around 2mm. By digging and prying the tip I went through a wooden board 1 inch thick.

CONCLUSION:
I bought the m07 today and went out for some testing in snowy conditions with a temperature of -3C. Along came the ESEE4 for reference as its quite similar (weight = 214g and length = 23cm). In general the m07 is compared to all the knives mentioned above.
The knife chopped a lot better than I had hoped for. I had already read somewhere that the m95 (which is 12g heavier, 2-3cm longer and has more forward weight) should chop out of its sized so my expectations was high.
The carving ability of the m07 was high. And the handle comfort was very good for heavy cutting. Good handle comfort may seem silly to some people but if you will be working all day with a knife it means a lot.
After all the cutting, chopping and batoning I noticed that the edge had rolled. I sharpened the m07 before the trip and had put on a quite thin secondary V-edge. The rolling was minor and I can always put a steeper edge on in the future. BUT THE GOOD THING: when a knife rolls in somewhat cold conditions this is a good sign for a well done heat treatment IME with all my knives.
I was overall very impressed with this knife and I recommend it. I think its a good bushcraft’er and taking into account the chopping and carving abilities then the m07 will be a good survival knife for building shelters and fire making in a combination with a folding saw. It might lack some length for splitting logs but so far using wedges for splitting logs has worked well IME.
Compared to similar knives its relatively cheap in EU but relative expensive in the US.

P1090386.jpg

P1090388.jpg

P1090389.jpg

P1090391.jpg

P1090392.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, a lot about the knife that we knifenuts need to know...now I want one. The photos are also great and you've come up with some interesting results. The IKEA content is also nice, mine is still in the kitchen, but it seems to work great outdoors. :D

... and I want its bigger brother the m95 but I dont know why (better chopper & splitter maybe)

Jes its the IKEA one.
It work really great for burning half rotten and partly wet wood.
With a vaseline soaked cotten ball (or just birch bark, if you have that around) you can get a little fire going from otherwise NOT burnable wood - which means that you can save same weight on heavy wood processing tools (the new "content" / "ordning"= the swedish name weighs 130g ~ 3.4oz).

To optimized air flow: I usely dig a long mini trench which the IKEA content is placed on. If digging is not possible it can be placed on 3 small rocks.

The stainless bottle is a stanley 24oz.

Nice review. I kinda want one, but there aren't a lot of stateside distributors that I found. If only Ben's carried this brand, I'd be all over it.

I think you can buy it directly from Brisa.fi ... I read somewhere that this site was the cheapest to get them from if you live in the US.

nice review dude. some time ago i bought the m07 and the m95. unfortunately i had to return them BOTH. i wasn't happy with the cutting edges at all (ok i could have used my lansky) but the ricassos were all messed up. even the first knife i made myself had a better ricasso and i'm not that talented that's for sure. haven't seen such a bad workmanship on any other knife i bought therefore i was pretty much disappointed.
since both knives sucked (in my opinion) i'm sure these "problems" occur at least on a regular basis...

Jfive: I believe you. Mine is OK but it acutally looks like that I am just lucky ? Allthough my good old file might see some work in the future.

Morales: It just came to me:
A month ago with a feet of snow I actually cooked some spine muscle parts of a goat on the "IKEA content" :)
I used 3 titanium stakes (crooked version) that was just put through the holes of the "Ikea Content"
For one person only its perfect (maybe not for the serious meatlover) but you can only grill one little piece at a time (thats why goat meat incedently is perfect: all the meat parts are so small :) ).
If you are in a little group just bring a couple of the "Contents". Its really enjoying time with barbecueing.

I've always loved the looks, design, and material of that line of knives. The only reason I haven't picked one up is the price of them in the U.S. Too much for what it is. If the prices come down, I'd have at least one of each.

buy the way. The tang is a hidden stick tang. But the tang is strong and is definately not the weakest part of the knife as the knife is full flat grinded which the tang is not.

A picture of the tang of the m95
knife_peltonen_sissipuukko_blade.jpg

Wow! Just saw this now. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

The Peltonen knives are extremely underrated.
I wish there were more variations.
Maybe he is too busy selling the existing models :)

buy the way. The tang is a hidden stick tang. But the tang is strong and is definately not the weakest part of the knife as the knife is full flat grinded which the tang is not.

A picture of the tang of the m95
knife_peltonen_sissipuukko_blade.jpg

Thank you so much for posting this picture.

Not wnowing the construction of the tang has always kept me from purchasing this knife.

Needless to say now it's on my list.

Thanks again!

-Stan

I totally agree that this knife is very much underrated.I like it.

It is lightweight but at te same time pretty tough.Mine is razor sharp.
Larger wider blades doesnt mean that they are persé tougher.

A sample of this truth is the Glock 81/78.
The Glock a bit similar in size as the Peltonen M95, did the "Noss knife destruction test" quite well .

I have a feeling that this Peltonen will do that test pretty well too.

But we'll never know till it happens.

The latest generation (this is a bump in november 2017) has a thinner blade, 4 mm, and a high saber grind instead of a full flat. My guess is that the grind angle is identical. Like the Terävä Jääkäri Puukkos (Jeager puukkos) from Varusteleka, the blades now come from Laurin Metalli and are 80CrV2 tool/spring steel. No more differential hardening, it is 58-59 Rockwell throughout, again like the Terävä. My guess is that it is the same blade stock as they are exactly the same thickness and width. Nothing wrong with that, it means that you have a choice of Finnish military style knives with stealthy black handles, now in sizes of 110 (terävä), 125 (Peltonen M07), 140 (Terävä) and 150 mm (peltonen M95), and a choice of grinds (high saber for the Peltonen, high scandi with secondary bevel for the Teräväs). All with interesting sheaths - the Peltonens still suitable for upside down or horizontal carrying.
I got my M07 yesterday and at first, thought the edge was not very sharp. But it sliced through typical Amazon-box cardboard like a lightsaber, doing just as well as my stropped Terävä 140. The maker must have polished and stropped the edge to perfect smoothness so it seems less sharp than it actually is...
EDIT: tested it, it is paper-cutting sharp and it shaves hairs off my arm, out of the box. Indeed, shaving sharp but very well polished. :)
Now waiting for nice weather for some outdoor testing. November. Hmm.

Last edited:
Some very light testing today, cutting points on a few sticks, splitting some wood etc. It does very well and the edge held up nicely after some cutting and chopping through one-inch hardwood sticks that had been lying in the mud. Of course it should, given the steel quality. BTW, the finish on this new version is excellent, the ricasso (what little there is to be seen, the edge starts almost immediately in front of the handle) is well done, symmetrical and sharply defined, the tip is nicely centered too. Maybe at some point the former maker of the blanks (Fiskars?) went too sloppy on quality control, who knows, that might have been the reason why Peltonen moved to Laurin Metalli for the blanks and chose the exact same blade stock (80CrV2, same width, same thickness) as that selected by Varusteleka for the 'homage' to his knives, the Terävä Jääkkäri Puukkos that also exist in a short and long version. Do note however that the Peltonen has a different grind - it is far keener and slices much better than the Teräväs. In fact I managed to slice nice thin slivers off a medium soft French cheese with the Peltonen, without 'exploding' the food. And I have never seen a knife that sliced that cleanly through a French bread (living in France I can compare). The blacksmith friend of mr. Peltonen who now does the grinding and sharpening must be an elf or something. This thing is really scary sharp. It bit me with that sharp tip, so now we are tied by blood. ;-)

Some additional remarks on the new version of this knife:
Total length 250 mm,
blade length along the spine/from ricasso to tip 120 mm,
blade width 26mm,
blade thickness (spine) 4 mm. No taper, same thickness all along the spine until it meets the main grind.
Grind: high sabre (17 mm from edge) or high flat with a secondary bevel (take your pick how you want to call it; my guess is that the actual grind angle has not changed compared to the old full-flat; it now simply intersects the shoulder of the thinner blade stock).
Weight of the M07 approx. 180 grams without the sheath, approx. 275 grams with the sheath. (I had approx. 5 grams worth of short lanyard attached when I weighed it; I subtracted that).
Steel: 80CrV2 high carbon (Krupp) tool steel. Used a lot in Finnish puukkos with blades done by Laurin Metalli.
Hardness/heat treatment: 58-59 Rockwell throughout, no more differential heat treatment.
Clearly the knife has lost some weight as the blade stock is thinner, but I'd guess this does not make much difference for its strength - the steel has been upgraded and the spine is now full thickness all the way to the tip. That spine, btw, still does not strike sparks from a firesteel. Maybe the Finn soldiers just use matches. ;-)
Note that given all these changes, many reviews out there of the original models (any before 2016?) no longer provide accurate information except on the general size and the sheath with that weird locking wheel, which has not changed. You would need someone who has both the old and the new versions to get a true comparison. In any case, you can't buy the full-flat, differentially treated version anymore I suppose.
I like this knife, it is perfectly balanced - the centre of gravity is precisely where you keep your index finger up against the guard. The grip must be very durable, harder than the slightly 'tacky' overmold of the Terävä Jaeger puukkos. The ribbed grip is needed to unsheath the knife from the very tight retainment system. It was a bit too tight for me, almost impossible to get in and out, so I took a tiny sliver off the finger guard and now it's perfect, I guess that Cpt Peltonen prefers to err on the side of 'a bit too tight' when he makes these sheaths by hand but once you adapt the handle it may be a bit too loose in another sheath.
Still looking for the best way to carry it and specifically to mount it in a hot-air balloon basket as my rescue knife without freaking out the passengers... ;-)

September 2022 report. Things may have changed. Own two. Quality is top notch. Have one sitting next to the computer as a "go to " unit along with a couple Kizlyars and an Al Mar unit.

I have to thank a lot S schwep as well as S Silent1 for their reviews and opinions on that specific knife. I have to add that I am very satisfied with 07 (latest version)!!!! Anyway, between Peltonen 07 and Terävä Jääkkäri Puukkos I prefer, slightly more, the later... (personal opinion, of course).

Back