JAB Prototype "Survey"

I just saw this video interview with Steve Johnson at Blade.
That new prototype "Piggyback XL" looks sweet for sure. But I have to say, in my opinion the steel choice (440A) is a bit disappointing.
I would like to hear some other opinions about this. What would be a good, affordable, stainless steel for this knife.
I think they want to keep it affordable, stainless and easy to maintain.
I would put AUS-8 and 440C out for consideration. In case, it is not necessary to be stainless, then 1095CV or D2 would be my choice.
So, let's hear it!

I'm not a fan of stainless steel in knife applications with the exception of dive knives for obvious reasons. It's hard to beat 1095CV IMO...D2 is a solid steel as well. If it has to be stainless, I'd say 440C only because I'm familiar with it. I don't know much about AUS8.

154cm seems to be a good stainless from what i hear. dont know whta that would cost. me i would go 440c or 420hc i have lots of time with them and they have held up well for me.

Hey there Im new to BF but not to the knife world. If it has to be stainless my vote is AUS 8. I've found it fairly easy to get a good edge on it and hold one as well.

the question is: will it hold up to Steve's animal partitioning and processing? if yes, he's happy.

udder wise, inexpensive is better to start. later, they can do a premium steel maybe.

at a guess.

What, no more opinions...?
Oh boy ... I can hear the complaints (already) about the blade steel, later on ... :D

I'm buying it when it hits the market. No flies on 440A with a Kabar heat treat. I would prefer 1095 or D2, but they'll sell at least... 2 ...of them to me.

Very willing to test prototypes as well

I am thinking about ordering the Potbelly soon from Walmart and it can be picked up in their stores (order it online) for $79 which is one of the lowest prices I've found it at. The piggyback would, in theory, make a great 'second' attachment knife to the sheath.

I'm new to knives and have not yet read anything positive about 440A except that it is a cheap metal to AVOID. The piggyback is, I believe, going to continue being made in China so I suspect that it will have a different heat treatment and quality-control than Ka-Bar's made in America knives. A 440C piggyback would be more acceptable to me. I would prefer the piggyback to use 1095CV or even D2 would be interesting. If it was made in 1095CV or D2 and made in America, then I would not mind paying extra for it. When out in nature, it is no place to rely upon third rate metals.

BTW, Switchblade I read your review of the Potbelly several months ago way before I joined Blade Forum. It was the fist time I learned of the knife and it inspired me to learn more, and now I'm about to purchase it. Thanks.

Last edited:
BTW, Switchblade I read your review of the Potbelly several months ago way before I joined Blade Forum. It was the fist time I learned of the knife and it inspired me to learn more, and now I'm about to purchase it. Thanks.
You're welcome! :)
Let us know how you like it, once you had it for awhile.

I *love* this "Biggyback". I would prefer it be given the premium treatment: 1095, removable scales, great sheath. But if they're not going to go there, then let's keep the price so low that it's not a problem to buy a bunch to have thrown here and there.

Anybody have any pics of this proto knife? I watched the youtube vid and liked what I saw, but wanted to see more. 440A wouldn't be my first choice, but if it keeps the price really low it might be okay. I would rather see 1095 if made in USA, AUS8 if they make it overseas.

Dax

Honestly I'd be perfectly happy if they used the same 1085 they're using in the Cutlass, Warthog, etc.

Switchblade & gang.... My apologies for being absent until today...I'm finally getting a little catch up done... I am in the beef business by day and it's grilling season....okay, enough excuses from me... I appreciate all of the input on the different blade steels, and while I will admit I am a BIG D2 fan, the 440A prototype blades cut well and hold an edge nicely in all of the testing I've done with them since BLADE.

To cover a few of the comments that I saw above.... first and foremost the "Biggyback" (that one made me grin) WILL BE MADE IN THE USA. It is 440A with a KA-BAR heat treat. Far as 440A vs 440C...... we're talking a few tenths of a percent carbon content.... Guys, I'm a pragmatist, while there is a SLIGHT molecular difference - few tenths of a percent less carbon in the 440A - this does not make 440A "junk" steel. I do heat treat in my shop at home and a poor heat treat can turn the best piece of crucible D2 into junk. 440 got a bum rap because of people with a lack of integrity using off shore manufacturing to make a quick dollar....I'll bet a lot of the blades stamped 440 were a different steel entirely. In my mind this is a lot like watches.... a guy can find a cheap, off shore Rolex knock off that will fool most folks from 10 feet.... heck, it may even be made from some of the same metals as a real Rolex, but the only place you can get a real Rolex is from Rolex. Rolex knows how to make a watch and KA-BAR knows how to make a knife. It transcends to the KA-BAR folders that are made overseas, Toooj works closely with them to make sure that the quality is what it needs to be and that folders aren't coming in with mild steel blades. Okay, enough of my 440A rant. :) The prototypes cut great and using 440A is going to allow us to put a knife on the market that treats guys right in the field and at the cash register.

The upsize Piggyback prototypes from BLADE are cutting like a boss and I am very impressed with them in general. I am so friggin stoked that I bought an Antelope hunt in Wyoming and I'm giving it away on my Facebook Page. An upsize Piggyback will be part of the package the lucky hunter will take home with them, maybe, MAYBE even one of the prototypes.... swing by facebook.com/adventureblades if you're interested in winning a hunt and some gear. I'll be posting more details every few hours.

Let's keep this discussion going, I really value you opinions and we still need to name this knife as well....just sayin' (grin)

Hope you guys are all having a great 4th of July holiday and I look forward to catching up with y'all soon.

PS: Dax - I'll get some pictures coming NLT this weekend - on the road at moment.

If the 440A is decent and the price is what good 440A should be then I'd have no quarrels with it. With that being said when it comes to a harder use fixed blade in stainless a lot of the "super steels" don't fair too terribly well for harder fixed blade use. I'd assume have 154CM if they would offer it.

440A is a fine steel when it has a good heat treat. It is hardly junk, and has superb toughness. Condor uses it in their stainless machetes.

In fact, 440A is very easy to sharpen and does hold a good edge with a proper heat treat. I find it comparable to 8cr.

Cool, all this works for me. Got me some JAB blades in my future.

Gimme 440a with Kabar heat trat anyday of the week.

The kitchen cutlery side of Cutco figued out 440a long before most of us were born, thats enough for me.

Moose

Back