Jackhammer questions

I've really been struck by the styling of the jackhammer.

Can someone help educate this newbie on the varieties of jackhammers and its history?

I am very curious about the purpose of the ridges along the blade of this and other busse knives. Do these act as fullers to give the blade increased strength?

What finishes were applied to the JH? The sites I've visited list only Competition grade

I'm also interested in numbers. Does Jerry release the production numbers on different models?

The Jackhammer is just a highly modified verson of the Satin Jack TAC

Only other release was in conjunction with the Les Baer package a while ago.
I pesonally am not a fan of anything with TAC handles.

The only Jackhammers that have been released so far have been the competition finish/ 2008 special edition from Blade '08, and the ones from the Les Baer/ Busse package.

The competition finish Jackhammers are probably the only ones you are likely to see. I have one, and it's one of my favorite Busse blades. It has black canvas micarta handles.

Here's a link to the Les Baer package:

http://www.lesbaer.com/busse.html

If you want one of those, it's gonna cost ya! Les Baer says that the handle is canvas micarta, but that looks like tan/sage G10 to me.

What is it about the TAC handles you dislike, Uncle Jarvis? I don't have any comparison point. The only other largish busse I have is an SAR5 with Micarta grips

Les Baer makes a Grail Gun, for sure. You probably out to set one of those aside for your new baby, MoonWilson. That might pay for college if he can't carry it there:)

Were all of the 2008 JHs released with the same grips?

What is it about the TAC handles you dislike, Uncle Jarvis? I don't have any comparison point. The only other largish busse I have is an SAR5 with Micarta grips

L

I think the TAC handle looks unsightly and find it quite uncomfortable. I prefer the older generation handles like the BAIII or SHSJ. The only problem is that they are hard to come across and prices have been getting pretty high lately. It all really comes down to personal preference..
Here are some examples.

Picture403.jpg

Picture404.jpg

Here are some comparison shots I dug up.

The only TAC handle I owned. Used only a few times.
DSC04140.jpg

SHSJ handle...... EU handle.......... TAC handle
DSC04126.jpg

Thank you; I can see the difference.

I agree that the older handle is better looking.

Do you know why the handles were changed so dramatically?

I personally love the Tac handle. I have large hands and the thumb ramp is in the perfect location. Its one of those knives that as soon as you pick it up, your hand is in the right position. To each his own.

DSC00794.jpg

Sheath made by me.

Last edited:
I am with InFAlable! The Hammer is my grail! Wicked! Wicked - WICKED!!!

I have one and just love it- feels excellent in my hands! (and I have owned Euros, Fusions, Es etc....) If anyone does not like theirs' let me know - I would love to have more of these!

Its not a chopper - its more of a fighter and all I can say to the Zombies is ..

BRING IT!!!!:D:thumbup::D

Keep in mind that there are small but significant differences between the Tac handles. Thicker micarta and thicker blade stock, or thinner or... The Tac handle on .220 stock feels a good bit different than Tac handle on .197 stock. I prefer the .220 stock feel myself, but I don't see my Badger getting away any time soon.

There also seems to be a difference between the TAC handles on the Badger and the Jack. I had a BATAC with micarta mags and hated the handle as it was too tall and hard to get a good grip on. I was handling a G-10 mag handled SJTAC at the Eugene show and liked it so much I bought it and sold the BATAC as soon as the Jack came back from Okuden. I have not had much chance to use but so far it had been a joy to use. And don't ask cause I'm not parting with it. Ever!

Here it is.
IMG_0937.jpg

The TAC handle is not my favorite, but it does have some good attributes. For one, it's a great handle to choke up on for light/detailed use, or back for light chopping and leverage. While I like other handles more, I think this one has it's place. My favorite TAC handle is the one on my Badger Custom. Bigger, rounded off, and contoured (wood handle):
DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

I think the TAC handle looks unsightly and find it quite uncomfortable. I prefer the older generation handles like the BAIII or SHSJ. The only problem is that they are hard to come across and prices have been getting pretty high lately. It all really comes down to personal preference..
Here are some examples.

Picture403.jpg

Picture404.jpg

The knife that is directly in the middle (third to the right), what is it called?

Back