James H Mann Co Axe

Picked this up at a estate sale this weekend.

I found a little bit about the Mann Co on the web but not much about James H.

Can anyone tell me something about this axe as to age, etc.

thanks

axeee 001.JPGaxeee 002.jpgaxeee 005.JPG

That link posted is primarily for the Canadian connection of Mann -

The Mann story overall is long, perhaps the longest in the American story lines of axe manufacturers.

The James H Mann story to my knowledge goes a little something like this - and this as of right now is still up for continued research and discussion - but will get us in the ballpark.

James H Mann was the treasurer of the American Axe and Tool Co, which was the combination of roughly 14 axe companies into one giant one, aimed at axe/edge tool market domination. This was in 1889, and James H was elected treasurer in 1890. Not long after, in fighting lead to some members breaking away, this including James H. Joseph was the first to leave, in 1891(didnt last long) and he built a company you might of heard of - Mann Edge Tool Co out of Lewistown Pa. James H, resigned his post and built his own independent axe company in 1902. This company was in business until around 1923 when Collins bought them out, but continued to use some of his axe labels such as Red Seal and Old Time Axe, which its name was actually switched to Old Timer Axe once Collins bought it out.

James H and Robert Mann, once seperated from AATCo made axes, but no where near what Collins, Kelly, or Plumb was doing, and all the Manns would succumb to the competion except for Joseph with his Mann Edge Co. The Robert and James pieces arent too common, so that is a nice find. I have one Robert Mann piece, a 505 single bit. I also have one James H Mann piece - some of you axe heads have seen it before -

SAM_0721.jpg

The Mann story is a great one no doubt, and has so many family members, owners, managers, sons, buy outs, consolidations, labels, etc it is mind blowing. I have been thinking of a Mann Edge thread, but it would take 6 months to complete.

Guess I better get busy.

Hope this info helped!

yes, that was the link I found square peg.

thanks bear hunter!

Operator 1975 thanks a bunch for the history lesson. That's a much nicer logo on your axe.

Any idea as to when my example was made?

Do you think the red paint on the head and handle is original?

Thanks

Back