Janich-- Making It Stick

Janich's article on throwing in tactical knife magazine got me into the hobby, but lately I feel like I can't progress. Have any of you seen the Making It Stick video he put out and is it any good?

Vicks,

I have not seen the video. There are enough experienced people on this list to give advice. Just reply back with your specific problem and I'm sure you will get 3 to 5 pointers to try which may move you ahead in your throwing.

What you are striving for is a smooth, consistent throwing motion. In order to stick the knife consistently, everything must be as close as possible to the same with each throw. That means your grip on the knife, your release point, the velocity you impart, etc.

If you try to throw harder, the knife will arrive at the target too early, and it will generally arrive "blade up".

Pick a distance that gives you a good, point-first impact with either a 1/2 or full spin, and work on a smooth release.

I'm older, and take longer to warm up- so I find I have to adjust my distance as my arm/shoulder warm up and everything gets going.

I liked the video. I don't think it's necessary though. Like Bikewer
said, developing a consistent, duplicatable throw (practice) is the key. Most advisors recommend locking the wrist to eliminate spin, and following the throw through. Also, the pointers that if the handle points up move up to the target; and if the handle points down, move back to get the right distance. This is basically what the video says - along with some focussing on offensive applications of knife throwing which I found mildly interesting though largely irrelevant.

Kalisti

Check out the great throwzini website, you will get a newsletter, lots of tips and Scott even has detailed everything you need to know to master the sport. Use a cheap bowie style knife in the one lb. weight to get started. You can get real cheap ones from Bud-k to get started. If you get one with a bird-beak pattern handle, grind off the bird-beak. you want a straight handle. Don't worry about the scales coming off, you can wrap it with duct tape, or grind the edges smooth or even do a para-cord wrap. The large cold steel throwers are excellant. It doesn't matter what you use for a tool ,as long as you aren't afraid to bang it up. Start out at 5 of your paces, adjust backwards by one foot, or 6 inches ,whatever , if you are hitting blade up. Conversely, adjust closer by 1 foot or less if hitting blade down. Practice , same stance, same release,same distance,,, practice until your consistant. 5 paces is for a turn and a half. Then, when you are consistant, you can go for distance. 2 turns, 2.5 turns,,, it's up to you. It's fun, have fun. It also raises eyebrows! Mike

Back