Japanese "hatchets"

Always wanted to try some of the Japanese axes but havent yet.
They do look useful and well made.
You should get one and let us know how you like it......

I have a Satsuma Yoki (Japanese Tomahawk/Hatchet). Its a real quality tool and can actually chop unlike a lot of the cheap Hawk's that we can get over here in Blighty.

You may hate me for posting this link as the site has lots of tasty sharps (if a slightly dodgy name!!)

http://www.dick.biz/dick/product/710821/detail.jsf

The kind of 'Nata' or cleaver type tools that you're refering to are used primarily for splitting wood, quite similar to a tradtional billhook in this respect. I seem to remember there being a review of one by Old Jimbo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far.

I did buy one. And it does look good.

$45 for a well-made tool with a high carbon edge laminated between stainless seems pretty reasonable.

I'll give it a workout and then post.

I once almost bought one, I should have. I hope they become available again.
I think the way the edge runs in tilt makes them good splitters (you know, less edge hits the log the more pressure it sets for it)..

As far as availablity, I just walked into Hida Tool and had my pick of about 6 different ones. They will be a few dollars more than the place in CO, but they are available now.

john....i have one and it is great....however alot of japanese knives....and in my case my hatchet came to me not finished....the user is expected to put on his own edge.....there are alot of issues in sharpening single bevelled japanese knives.....while these r not truly single bevelled they are similar......i had a friend of mine(who specializes in japanese sharpening) redo mine and now it is a wicked performer.....he made the front convex and flattened the back some and put on a small microbevel sort of.....it has alot of mass behind a super sharp edge....makes for great trimming and chopping in my yard......if it seems not to perform the way you want the isse might be how it is sharpened.....ryan

Ryan,

Thank you for all the info. I picked up a double beveled version to avoid some of the issues you mentioned.

Also, what size did you get? I believe mine is right in the middle with a 16.5 cm edge. There are a 18 cm, which is finished better, and nearly double the price, and a 13 cm, which is substantially thicker.

john...without going to measure it i think mine is around 18cm.....it is pretty thick...probably at least 5mm....maybe more.....i would suggest to convex the entire bevel on each side if it is double bevelled.....ryan

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking as well. Being a Japanese tool, it already has the good beginnings of a full convex edge. Straight from the store, it looks rather like certain Japanese swords--convexed but with a slight diamond cross section. The only problem is a very hard line where the two angles/bevels meet in the middle. This transition should not be too hard to smooth out.

I like the hatchets..but I like the "AXE" under the woodworking section better... $250.00 price though

Back