Japanese Stainless Mystery Steel

sodak

Gold Member
Or I should have titled this "Old Dog Learns Old Trick".

I have this knife that I purchased about 40 years ago, probably at a Target or Walmart. I've used it for all misc tasks, including cutting sod when I was putting in a backyard. I seriously doubt that I paid more than $5 for it, so I never took it very seriously.

Back in the early 2000's, I was experimenting with Juranitch's method of sharpening, i.e., putting the entire grind down flush on a coarse stone to thin the edge, then finishing on a fine stone at a slightly higher angle. You can see the wear marks from that at the top of the hollow grind. I used it in the garage for all these years, and never thought much about it. It feels like a fairly high HRC when I sharpen it, it is certainly harder than my Victorinox kitchen knives.

A couple of weeks ago, my wife grabbed it and used it in the kitchen. It works surprisingly well, and I'm surprised at how long it holds its edge. Kind of puts my Victorinox's to shame for edge holding. This is forcing me to re-evaluate the types of knives and hardness levels that I prefer in the kitchen.

This just goes to show me that when I think I have it all figured out, I don't. All due to a $5 knife.japan2.jpegjapan1.jpeg

Back