Japanese sword ID

My wife's grandfather passed away a while back, this was among his possessions.
My father in law says he thinks it was brought back from WW2 (which I take with a grain of sand as I looked up his service history and he served on the European front)

I assume it is nothing special, possibly a tourist sword, however if it is worth something I'll get it restored, the rest of the handle parts are supposedly around somewhere

Thanks

IMG_3662.jpg

In order to offer any information, you will have to provide additional photos. Impossible from one photo which shows approximately 2-3" of the sword, sorry.

You need to remove the handle and get a photo of the entire tang and "in focus" close ups of any inscriptions which may be carved into it. Blade tip, full length photo.

Here are a few tips or recommendations for posting photos of Japanese swords(or any swords) for identification. Following these tips prior to taking or posting your photos will greatly assist those attempting to help you. It will result in faster identification as you won't have to be asked to provide better photos.

Try shooting the photos against something other than a white background. The camera focuses on the bright white background and results in a dark subject.

Try photographing it in a brightly lit area like by a window, but not direct sunlight. Raise the blinds (no shadows) or go outside and place it in a brightly lit spot, again not direct sun light. Natural lighting works great. Artificial light works well, but avoid incandescent bulbs as they throw off yellow light.

Use a single colored background like a dark brown, green or even black towel, cloth, table, wall, etc..

Crop you photos ! This alone will allow for more sword in the photo and remove distracting and unnecessary background clutter.

Be sure your photos are in focus !!! It is a complete waste of time to add blurry, out of focus photos.

Provide full length shots of both sides of the entire blade, close ups of both sides of the the entire tang, close ups of both sides of the tip, more close up shots of any inscriptions which my be on either side of the tang. Do the same for fittings/koshirae/scabbard, if that is what your question is about.

If submitting a photo of the signature, date, etc., orient your photos correctly. They are read vertically holding the sword tip up, tang down.

The inscriptions need to be shot straight on and with no flash or reflecting light.

Check your e-mail.........

Thanks guys
I have been traveling for the holidays and having issues posting photos with my phone, I would have waited to post until I got home if I knew it was going to be an issue
I have better photos that I will post when I get to a real computer this weekend
Happy New Year!

Looks like a wakizashi, or short sword. Nanban tsuba. Blade is probably Shinto period. More pictures, more info possible.

hageyama@mindspring.com Email this guy. He runs nihonto.com one of the best sites around for dealing with this. He should be able to help you or atleast point you in the right direction. Again you will need more pics than that.

Back