Jared Oeser Tengu Flipper is Here!

This seems strange to me... I did a search on this forum for “Tengu” and nobody’s mentioned it for months. Maybe it’s just not that interesting to most people but I’ve been checking the Benchmade site fairly regularly, signed up for the email notification and can’t find any news on when we might see it. I think it’s at least a month or more overdue. I’m afraid to preorder at this point because I don’t want to drop the cash and find out they didn’t make enough in the first run, but I really hope I can pick one up. Anybody heard anything?? 9974BC6C-1CCB-4C0F-A7B9-55FB13B718BC.jpeg

i would assume that the release has been delayed due to covid 19. from what i understand, (can’t remember where i came across it, facebook maybe?) bm is running with a smaller staff at the moment, along with devoting part of their time to producing face shields.

maybe give them a call, i’m sure they can give you a better idea on when the release date will be.

Yeah, I considered that but it seemed like the release was scheduled right before things got crazy with COVID here in the US, so I don't think that was the cause of the initial delay unless there were parts coming from overseas where it was having a greater impact. I suppose they may have seen that it was gaining speed and didn't want to have to be in full production if the virus hit hard. I'm not surprised that they aren't going to release it during the middle of this pandemic, I was mostly questioning the reason for the initial delay and wondering if anyone heard of a new target release date so I can quit thinking about it for awhile. I was also surprised that nobody else was talking about it after it had so much hype right after Shot Show 2020. I think I'm just focusing on it more because there's not much else to do right now while sitting at home! Maybe I should just preorder and get it over with :) In the meantime I've managed to get my hands on an Olamic Busker, Boos Smoke and 940-1 so I should probably be content...

My uncle works for benchmade and I saw some samples on his desk one being a tengu. They are pretty smooth. He said they are working in split shifts so everything will take twice as long to get out.

Good information! I asked the Benchmade customer service chat and she said they are shooting for a mid-May release now.

Just got an email yesterday from Benchmade that the Tengu is available. I hesitated for about 2 seconds and pulled the trigger. Should be here this week I believe. I hope its worth it since I paid them the retail to order direct from the factory. I looked at BHQ and a couple others that still showed it as a preorder but I didn’t know how long the line was so I just took the hit.

I’ve been wondering about the Leuku and for some reason never even thought about COVID19, but that makes sense. Hopefully it becomes available soon. Also, I’d love a Tengu without a tanto blade!

Received my Tengu today, and extremely pleased with it. Obviously a departure from standard Benchmade styles - but my initial impression is that the Tengu is a great custom design gone production piece. Detent and action is amazing, free dropping close. Was a bit worried how easy access would be to the liner lock without any cutout, but find it disengages naturally without any extra effort. Fit and finish are amazing. I knew the handle length would likely be a bit short with the placement of the flipper tab, and do find that my natural grip is 3 fingered with locking my pinky on the bottom of the handle, but I find it very comfortable. Would most definitely recommend for anyone interested in the style.

Thanks for the first look review! I’m expecting delivery on Friday and hoping it lives up to my expectations. I enjoy smaller knives and the mini Grip 556-1 is one of my all time favorites. I recently bought a used small Sebenza 21 with beech inlay and love the solidness of it, but miss the free-drop I get with my Benchmades. I guess that’s why variety is important and I think the Tengu will be a great fit in the watch-pocket of my jeans when discrete carry is needed.

Just received mine and on the blade it is a numbered edition. 0XXX/1200

was this supposed to be a numbered edition? I bought mine from an authorized dealer

BTW it is nice & smooth. My only initial gripe (if you can even call it that) is that the shield is a little sunken in - that is - it is not completely flush with the G10 handle. Yeah...small gripe that for a $185 knife is meaningless. Overall it is a very sweet knife. I think it will be received favorably. And I am a big fan of a nice linerlock over a frame lock.

Last edited:
Just received mine and on the blade it is a numbered edition. 0XXX/1200

was this supposed to be a numbered edition? I bought mine from an authorized dealer

BTW it is nice & smooth. My only initial gripe (if you can even call it that) is that the shield is a little sunken in - that is - it is not completely flush with the G10 handle. Yeah...small gripe that for a $185 knife is meaningless. Overall it is a very sweet knife. I think it will be received favorably. And I am a big fan of a nice linerlock over a frame lock.

The numbering should be "FIRST PRODUCTION XXXX/1200". Is that what you are seeing?

Got mine Wed. Nice knife but mine was tooooo haaaaard to open. I sent it back to the good folks at K nife Works and waiting fr another Tengu to try. Happens sometimes but disappointed.

RKH

Got mine today and the action is great. It has a really different feel to the flip than I’m used to. I think it’s the pivot placement being lower but it works! Drop shut smooth as well so no complaints there. It does have a little side-play but not much. I haven’t actually had a super close look yet so I’ll add comments on grind, centering, etc. later if needed. I ordered mine direct from Benchmade so I got excited when I heard I might have a chance at the first production run but I guess those went to the dealers. Oh well, now I feel like I can use it rather than just set it on the shelf. Glad it’s finally in hand!

I am happy to hear that Myztro. I have ordered one from Benchmade myself. I have not given up on Benchmade. Hope this one is better. btw, the one I got originally had np plastic bag or cloth bag so maybe a display model?
RKH

View attachment 1346005 629083D0-47BF-4790-AD8A-216743DFFA7A.jpeg 9606BE0F-9F11-41C3-9877-48F413FF2F7B.jpeg F73A67B8-BD9C-4EA7-88CE-CA2246B1A2C7.jpeg I posted above and carried and used it all day today. Overall I am liking this knife but I will say that the grinds are off on both the swedge and Tanto edges a bit comparing side to side. Nothing that effects performance but it is noticeable if you’re looking for it. The centering is off just a little as well but again not really serious. As someone previously mentioned, mine didn’t come in a cloth bag like all my other Benchmade knives but it did come in a sheath so I’m guessing that’s the “bag” for this model which is good by me. It did come razor sharp. I’m also liking the action and the “pop” it makes when opening is satisfying. At first I was concerned it might sound plastic like the standard Griptilian FRN scale but it’s more solid than that and has its own unique snap. Anyway, I’ll be keeping this one!

They look really nice I just wish they went with a front flipper model from Jared.

Back