Javelina in my neighborhood...

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by cosmophonic12, Mar 4, 2011.

1. JohnnyMayhem

JohnnyMayhem

Aug 6, 2006
    Ok then, outdoor pet then. (I had a friend who had Cappybaras as pets. Now those things were cool!)

2. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    got bacon? found this picture on the net...

[​IMG]

3. ranchmanben

ranchmanben

Jan 18, 2011
    If someone could tell me how to post pictures, I have a couple of pictures of a pet javalina from our ranch in Az.

4. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    Make a photobucket account and place your pictures there. Then when your ready to post a pic here click the img code in the box that reads [share this photo]. That copies it ,then paste here. I use ctl + v to paste.

5. RandomAyes

RandomAyes

Oct 19, 2009

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  6. echo-7

echo-7

Aug 1, 2003
  7. merwin

merwin

Jan 26, 2000
    You'll notice the attacks typically involve the presence of a dog. Arizona Game and Fish puts out a pamphlet about the wee beasties that highlights this issue. They hate dogs.

8. Holmesmade

Holmesmade

May 8, 2005
    Javelina are tasty little rodents! Slow barbecued or pit roasted is the best way.
    Nasty, smelly, dirty hides, but a good blade fixes that!

9. BrianB

BrianB

Sep 29, 2007
    Snakes don't generally smell bad unless you give them a reason to musk you. (Those that musk, anyway.)

10. Stitch

Stitch

Oct 6, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Texas Slim

Texas Slim

Feb 12, 2007
    No javelina in my neighborhood but we have plenty of hogs. Snapped this pic while hiking in a city park on a snowy day last month. Walked up a couple of groups, maybe 8 or so in each group. Fortunately, they went one way while I went the other.

[​IMG]

12. PropThePolecat

PropThePolecat

Jan 31, 2009
    Dont nobody be talking bad about ferrets. They smell just fine (it dissipates fast):D

13. hatidua

hatidua

Jul 28, 2010
    I had a pet monkey as a kid - they really are rather dirty creatures.

14. K Williams

K Williams Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 17, 1998
    They hunt them all the timein Texas. Peccary aka javelina. Are you allowed to hunt them in AZ?

Answer to my own question: http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/game_javelina.shtml

Get yourself a compound or recurve bow, and a large freezer! :D

15. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Would you believe that I've never seen a javelina, even though I've lived in Tucson since '98? I smell them all the time, so I know they're around. See coyotes all the time, right in the middle of town. But never seen a javelina. My parents live in Vail (outside of Tucson), and javelina come by once in a while. They smell the water and try to dig up the sprinklers and pipes.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: