1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

JB Weld and Ferric?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by lanternnate, Dec 9, 2019.

1. lanternnate

lanternnate

Nov 5, 2016
    I have a little non knife project I’m working on for an Xmas present. I forged a Damascus wine cork screw. To attach the screw to the handle I did a square end in square hole with a peened top for mechanical hold. There is still some play of the handle up and down on the shaft, so I plan to JB Weld it on for security and seal up any gaps. I am trying to decide if I should JB weld before or after the ferric etch. Before would keep any acid from getting trapped up in the gaps that will be tricky to neutralize, but I don’t know if the ferric will break down the JB weld?
    [​IMG]

Coy Ranch likes this.
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Just peen it properly. JB Weld will look bad.

AVigil, Natlek and Ken H> like this.
  3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I agree with Bill tat a good fit is better than a good patch. Soldering is also an option.

To answer your question, cured JB-Weld should not be affected by FC.

4. lanternnate

lanternnate

Nov 5, 2016
    In hindsight I should have ground in a step to give some backing when riveting the top or at least a more aggressive taper. Unfortunately I only put in a very slight taper, which combined with not having a proper vise caused some issues getting everything tight mechanically. I’ll give some thought to the solder option. I did harden it so as not to have the shaft bend or the screw uncoil in use, so I have some concerns about the temper soldering. I know it should be feasible to be ok because many solder on guards, but it’s not a skill I’m well practiced at yet. Thanks guys.

5. Cushing H.

Cushing H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Im not sure ... my initial thought is that JB Weld is impregnated with metal ... and so even if cured, the exposed metal on the surface of the resin might etch and look bad? Just a guess though.

i would consider soldering. If you have not done soldering in the past ( copper piping? Electronics? Craftwork?) then get some scrap pieces and practice getting a feel for getting the work piece up to temp so ad to get the solder to flow. Ithink if you are careful not to overheat you will be fine with the temper on the screw - especially if you wrap it in a wet cloth. But now that i think about it you might have issues with twisting at the junction with the handle ... so am not so sure?

6. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    JB-weld is an epoxy resin compound with inert fillers. You may be thinking of the old "Liquid Steel".

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Don Hanson III likes this.
  7. Cushing H.

Cushing H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2019
    No ... just bad memory on my part i guess. Sorry for the confusion

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2019