"JB Weld"

Soldering (or cleaning the knife up afterwards) is one of my least developed knifemaking skills. I have produced a couple of blades using JB Weld to attach the guard instead. They look great, very clean.

I am wondering about the strength. I figure that JB Weld should actually be stronger than solder? and that the guard is supported by the steel shoulders in the front and handle slabs in the back. Doesn't the solder mainly act as a sealer between guard and blade anyway? (It should be a tight fit no matter which material used.)

I have yet to do any destructive testing. Would plain epoxy work just as well? Has anyone else had experience with this method?

Lotz a folks use JB weld. Fit your gard up good than use JB for thr water seal! I have heard horror stories of hi dollar knives corroding because of solder flux leaching out years after!

Doug

What are the relative merits and demerits of jb weld compared to acraglass? anybody have experience with both? is jb weld more for metal to metal and acraglass more for metal to wood? I'm gonna quit using 2ton and am looking for a better sealer for guard/bolsters and slabs.

I recently started using a product made for custom golf club makers, which they use to affix the head to the shaft.
The name of the stuff is "Shaft," and comes in 2- pint squeeze bottles. kinda like the old ketychup & mustard bottles. Makes it easy to dispense. It's a lot cheaper than Lusol also.
The guy I bought mine from has made drivers for years, and has never had one come off, so I guess it's pretty durable.
Check with the local golf repair places, they should know where to get it.

Back