Jeff or Anybody..What the Heck is This ?

I was working on two new vises today. One to hold octagonal barrels and one to hold knife blades. While going through the junk box I came up with this. I run across it once in a while and remind myself to find out what it is. I think it is an accessory for a mill but I have no idea what it is. The slide on the top is spring loaded like a scroll saw......Might be an end of the world scroll saw attachment :confused:

Any guesses?

mill1.jpg

mill2.jpg

Does look a little like a scrollsaw, except there's no lower arm :confused:

Kind of looks like that one end goes in a fixture so it can swivel (the big post thing on the end) and the other end has a foot on it like it would hold a peice down flat the way a bench dog does.
Could it be some kind of fixture for a punch or stamp?

I don't know Matt. All I can really tell you is that it was an accessory for a knee mill. I'll be able to make something out of it or trade it for something, I'd just like to know what it is first. :D

I thought pie in the citys were around $100.00 and that's not a woopie pie either :D

peter nap said:
I was working on two new vises today. One to hold octagonal barrels and one to hold knife blades. While going through the junk box I came up with this. I run across it once in a while and remind myself to find out what it is. I think it is an accessory for a mill but I have no idea what it is. The slide on the top is spring loaded like a scroll saw......Might be an end of the world scroll saw attachment :confused:

Any guesses?

mill1.jpg

mill2.jpg

Sorry I'm so late getting on. Somebody went ballistic in the router room and knocked my ethernet cable out of jar in the socket. Took me all day to figgure out was was up. FINALLY!

Hey that piece does not appear to be of anything related to metalworking. It looks too lightweight and skinny. I'm thinking maybe something in the leather trade? Maybe box and carton trade? A rivet setter maybe? What ever it is, Don, it looks lie a better boat anchor than anything else! :D

indian george said:
In your neck of the woods I bet you get them cow pies for NO. :confused: :barf: :p

we call them cow flaps this so you flatlanders will not be eating them,
while up here hunting. of course we have to put signs on the cows saying we are cows not deer :footinmou :D

Actually Jeff, I posted it on a machine site and it turns out it's an overhead arm for a South Bend Die filer.

Back