Jephco Warwood, how do you finish it ?

I saw some of this handle material on the internet, and was curious, how makers finish it. I've heard it's akin to paper micarta, sort of. Anyhow, I think I want to try some, but am curious how you finish it, as in what grit, and compound, it looks good at or performs best at.

I've only used black and have sanded it to 1000 grit and left it like that. It looks bland, but feels pretty good. I've also bead blasted it and it feels good that way also.

This is the black Warwood hand sanded to about 2500x. It feels good. It's actually a bit more glossy than it appears in the photo but I think you'd need a buffer to get a high luster out of it. It also has a subtle visual grain to it which is more noticeable in the lighter colors. It works well like a paper Micarta but I have noticed that when center punching on the end grain side of a block it is susceptible to splitting if not careful.

Slick knife!
I've just treated warwood pretty much like micarta, handsanded to 600 and lightly buffed with white rouge it gets pretty glossy, handsanded to 400 and lightly oiled it's matte and pretty grippy.
I agree, be careful drilling it and milling it too, the edges can chip. The holes will also shrink a little after you drill them, as the material is much like a very hard rubber.
I was working with some green warwood tonight, I like the stuff.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll try some, and see for myself how it turns out. BTW i4Marc, that's a superb looking knife, very cool.

Can warwood tolerate a scotch brite belt, if you're going for an sb finish on the spine/tang?

Yes Warwood can handle a scotch brite belt. Just a secret to the finish add a bit of oil base wood finish while it doesn't soak in like wood it seems to lube it up enough while polishing to give it a great finish. I like Oso for all my wood.

Jeff, are you offering any of your materials in 1" or wider thicknesses yet?