Jimislash signed a deal with Cold Steel

Jimislash is a very nice guy. He will be a spokesperson for Cold Steel, which will sponsor his chopping competitions. He also will design knives and have his own signature series.

I don't know what this news could possibly mean, or even if it has any meaning, but I decided to bring it here anyway.

Congrats to Mr. Jimislash! I’ve viewed a couple of his vids and enjoyed them, particularly when puts a knife through some hard use reviews. My only request is that he gives us his honest assessment of what he thinks about a knife…good and bad. Other than that, looking forward to see what CS has coming for 2022…

Jimislash is a very nice guy. He will be a spokesperson for Cold Steel, which will sponsor his chopping competitions. He also will design knives and have his own signature series.

I don't know what this news could possibly mean, or even if it has any meaning, but I decided to bring it here anyway.

He will add to the brand a lot of personality. He certainly can help with design of new models as he knows what he likes and does not, also he is an enthusiast, he gets it.

iu
Jimi. :thumbsup:

Congrats to Mr. Jimislash! I’ve viewed a couple of his vids and enjoyed them, particularly when puts a knife through some hard use reviews. My only request is that he gives us his honest assessment of what he thinks about a knife…good and bad. Other than that, looking forward to see what CS has coming for 2022…
Quirky sense of humor , decent reviews . :cool:

Just have to wait and see on the knife designer aspect .

At least he's a true enthusiast knife guy .

Quirky sense of humor , decent reviews . :cool:

Just have to wait and see on the knife designer aspect .

At least he's a true enthusiast knife guy .

Ditto.

I'm a bit surprised that GSM is planning to make new releases instead of just exploring the existing portfolio.

And the guy is fond of big knives, which is even more intriguing.

It's good to have in mind that Jimi will design new knives, not new locks... It's not brutally difficult if you're a true enthusiast.

I have nothing personal against him, he seems like a nice guy. That being said it seems odd that a relatively unknown YouTube guy not only gets endorsed, but gets his own signature series solely based on being a fan and knife reviews.

Is he a custom knife maker? Has he done design work for anyone?

Last edited:
Perhaps fronting someone with a better sense of the current knife online zeitgeist is a smart pivot…

This could show a move towards understanding the ever-evolving mass-market knife game.

Last edited:
id like to see more of Mike Wallace's designs myself.

good for Jimi and hope all goes well and all, but last I heard cold steel already had a great knife designer in Mike already.
The "New" Cold Steel can coast for awhile on existing designs , but will eventually need to develop new products .

There's probably room there for at least several good designers to have input .

I have to say LCT and Demko are impossible acts to follow. Lynn is fond of saying that people trust their lives to his knives, and I believe in his promise to earn that trust. Demko is a mechanical whiz and his knives have great ergonomics.

Cold steel has to move forward somehow, but I hope there is some merit beyond internet fame to the designers they choose.

Last edited:
I have to say LCT and Demko are impossible acts to follow. Lynn is fond of saying that people trust their lives to his knives, and I believe in his promise to earn that trust. Demko is a mechanical whiz and his knives have great ergonomics.

Cold steel has to move forward somehow, but I hope there is some merit beyond internet fame to the designers they choose.
I totally agree. For instance, Demko brought something major to the advancement in the Cold Steel product line. The contribution of designing/inventing the Triad Lock, had all other makers of folding locking knives be in a position of needing to "catch up".
The owner himself, Lynn Thompson, brought so much to the table. He not only was not afraid to go against the grain by bringing items to the market that were taboo to other firms, but was also one heck of an enthusiast of historic knives that he drew from to bring us some modern day made renditions with that LT twist to them.
I'm sure that this new spokesperson/youtuber is a nice guy, in fact, I have stumbled and watched a few of his videos. But... I don't feel he's what's needed in helping to keep Cold Steel viable.
Their new main spokesman seems to be "Stickman", and he too seems like a heck of a nice guy. But... nope, he just does not, at all, capture the Cold Steel magic.
If this is a sign of their new strategy, I don't feel it will be panning out for them very well. For now, their sales should be pretty good, with folks grabbing things that may be the last of what they've always felt CS to be. But, that will fade, and then what they themselves do will determine their future.

Sometimes a company can transfer ownership and not be, in any way, a big deal.
On the other hand, Cold Steel has been so much of one man's brainchild, (Lynn Thompson's), that a separation from that ownership can be a huge hit to the company. He simply WAS Cold Steel. It was not just a company that afforded him a good means of prosperity, which funded his lifestyle, but also an outlet for his creativity, and his baby that represented his name's place in history.
It simply was more than just a means to make money for him.
Maybe if Lynn had a son or daughter, one that was totally into the business. Maybe one that had inherited a lot of dad's traits, including his quirkiness... Well, that could have made for a great transition into a new chapter for Cold Steel. But, this here, the company being sold to a business that just buys and buys a ton of companies to add into their portfolio... In my gut, I simply don't see Cold Steel ending well.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of YouTube videos since the beginning of the pandemics and followed several scientists and medical doctors. Of course I had to had some fun and I also followed channels related to other interests, among them blades and sharpening. I'm not a youtuber myself, but based on my experience I would say the following:

1. Being a well known youtuber does not qualify or disqualify someone;
2. Being an obscure youtuber does not qualify or disqualify someone;
3. Being a youtuber does not qualify or disqualify someone.

Also, I think that every knife designer in the world had zero work to show until he/she made his first design. Therefore, I think that we could kindly give some credit to Jimislash until we can judge his work as a designer.

I don't see a brilliant future for Cold Steel, and I totally understand why so many people isn't optimistic about the direction of the company and about the deal with Jimislash.

At the same time, I think the guy deserves some credit and I think that GSM, although clueless regarding the uniqueness of Cold Steel, at least did something to keep contact with its fan base.

Maybe its cheaper to get a boob tuber to design knives than custom knife maker.Nothing against jimislash, but is this what knife companies are coming down to ; using people off youtube and other social media sights to join them ? Just like knives w the nutnfancy logo or Nick Shabaz knives w that diamond logo? Im waiting for Ford to sign that lanky dork from hoovies garage to design the next Mustang. Its turning into a circus....

Back