JK Kephart arrived! Pics inside :D

Hi all. New member but old fan of JK knives. JK made this Kephart for me recently, and I love everything about it. The first thing I did as soon as I took it out of the box was test the edge with some hardwood batonning. I batonned a few good-sized logs of dried hardwood and tested the edge afterwards. Edge held up perfectly. Heat treat spot on! There is even a very attractive and visible hamon on the blade. Spine is nice and square, threw some serious sparks with the ferro rod.

For the next part, I should state outright that what I need from a knife maker is a perfect knife (good steel, good heat treat, good handle, good workmanship), not a perfect edge. I do that myself. :D So the next thing I did--which I do with all knives--is put my own edge on it. I don't expect John--or any maker--to put this kind of edge on a knife for me. I'd have to pay twice as much for it if he did, since it takes a lot of time and is all freehand. I started with the DMT Duosharp blacks to completely reprofile the edge. Of course, John's edge was perfectly useable out of the box; I just have a ridiculous obsession with putting my own edge on knives. Call it a hobby.

The blacks (apprx. 200 grit) set the profile I wanted. I spent the better part of an hour on that. Once I had the edge worked out and my scratch pattern established, then on to 400, 600, 1200 with the Duosharp diamonds. Then on to the Spyderco ultrafine (apprx. 2500 grit). After finishing the polish with the ultrafine stone, is bringing the angle up to establish my microbevel. Then the final step: stropping on the Strop Block (leather strop loaded with high chrome rouge/olive oil).

Here is the result. Making feathersticks from my own hair. :D :D :D

5365ps.jpg

evb1i1.jpg

mijfr8.jpg

125hyeo.jpg

I love this knife!

- GD

Dang, I'd cut myself so bad with a edge like that it's a god job I'm not able to produce one, :p thanks for sharing

Hair popin'!Good job on the edge.GttD.
Love the Kephart too,great all around knife!
And John's treatment of 01,my favorite knife steel.
You should try a Phoenix,scandi grind sweetness & about the same size as the Kep.

Congrats G -

Thanks for posting your pictures and impressions -

best

mqqn

Looks good and awesome job with the edge. Thanks for sharing.

My sharpening skills aren't up to that level, gonna have to work on that.

Back