JK Pack Knife review

I've had this little knife called the Pack Knife from JK Knives for a few weeks now and figured I would do a mini review. I am comparing it to my favorite EDC knife the JK Ewok.

Pack Knife has a 2.75" blade, 6" OAL, 1/8" thick O1 steel and Scandi blade with black canvas micarta.

Ewok has a 2.5 blade blade, 6" OAL, 1/8" thick 1095 and a flat ground with convex edge. It has a maple handle.

The Pack Knife is small and thin enough to justify it for nearly all EDC type chores. It is even thin enough to use as a neck knife in my opinion. I used this knife for many thing some which were food prep, fire starting, and wood work. The Ewok is similar sized, but nearly twice as thick as later pictures will show.

Food Prep

A tomato is one of those foods where a sharp knife is necessary for perfect slices. I didn't have very good tomatoes as they were not as firm inside. They both cut nicely. Ewok was a little better since it was recently sharpened where I didn't touch up the edge on the Pack knife.

Pack Knife
P5180034.jpg

Ewok
P5180032.jpg

Next test is an apple. This will test the ability to both penetrate into the apple and notching a wedge out. The Pack knife did very well in this since the Scandi grind wedges the slices out very well. The Ewok has some drag since it didn't wedge the apple away from the blade. Also, the Pack knife has a straight edge; the slight recurve of the Ewok can sometimes take a chunk of core if not careful.

Since the tomato wasn't too firm, I decided to tests slicing ability. I wanted to get it as thin and uniform as possible. Ewok did better since it didn't have the steep Scandi grind as does the Pack Knife. I thought the Pack Knife would do worse, but not bad for first time.

Ewok
P5190058.jpg

P5190059.jpg

Pack Knife
P5190063.jpg

P5190064.jpg

Wood working

I did some more notching on some wood(I used a baton). It was some Pine that has been drying for months but somehow still very sappy. I was hoping for a little "fatwood" in the center but found none. Both knives did fairly well for the task. The Ewok was definitely more comfortable to use with a baton. The Pack Knife is definitely more comfortable to use with a baton compared to a skeleton knife however.

Pack Knife
P6010124.jpg

P6010128.jpg

Ewok
P6010134.jpg

P6010138.jpg

I also used the points for drilling a hole but didn't get any good pictures of that. The Pack Knife was very good at this once you get the initial angle down.

Fire Making

I also created fuzz sticks and the Pack Knife was great at that also. Once you get the correct angle down it makes great fuzz sticks. The Ewok has a better belly to make the fuzz sticks though. Both worked equally well with firesteel/flint. They both can shave magnesium equally. I didn't have camera when doing this.

The Pack Knife may be replacing the Ewok as my favorite EDC Knife. It is a knife that you have no excuse not to carry on you. It isn't too big nor too small. It can be pocket carried, neck carried, or even on a belt. It isn't as uncomfortable as a skeleton knife and not as thick as a regular sized knife. To me that makes it a great EDC knife!

Check out John's forum for more information
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=830

Also here are some shots of them next to each other.

P5190095.jpg

P5190074.jpg

Also left out the picture for the baton and fire kit pouch I got from John. It has a bic lighter, magnesium with flint, and my custom designed tin knife. Was hoping to add fatwood that day but didn't get any.
P6010147.jpg

Nice review. I got my pack knife from John last week and I really like mine also. Mine is not a scandi grind. It's my first JK but not going to be my last. Thanks for the review.

Great review. That pack knife looks really thick compared to the EWOK.

Great review. That pack knife looks really thick compared to the EWOK.

Pack Knife thickness is ~3/8 while Ewok is ~7/8. I don't have any good side by side shots. The blade on the Pack Knife looks much thicker due to the Scandi blade. The blade is probably a couple thousandths thicker than the Ewok. The high contrast between the blade and handles don't help either.

P5170031.jpg

If you look at the blade near the handle you can get an idea how tall it is.

Hi Mr. Sogetsu -

Excellent review and pictures -

Thanks for posting it!

best regards -

mqqn

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to do it. Your Pack Knife is one of only two with the scandi grind, most, including my personal one, are my convex grind. I`ve been carrying mine instead of my normal pocket knife for about a month now. There will be a passaround of this model in the near future.

Back