Johan vanZyl

Discussion in 'Gurkha House Forum' started by Lt. Dan, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Johan van Zyl

Johan van Zyl

Oct 11, 2000
    No offense taken, of course, about the khuk/rifle combo! I would LIKE to dig up an older vintage khukuri someday to go with the Martini-Henry rifle, age-wise (which is c. 1877-1881), BUT.... where, o where, and how, o, how? My first priority expense right now is a bullet mould (of my own) for the M-H. Costs R500 in Johannesburg, w/o handles. (At the moment I am getting bullets from fellow re-enactors.)

Quote from Lt. Dan: "The Cadet model.......mini Mauser action over the large.......heavy bbl Sharps buffalo rifles.....Remington rolling blocks.....Creedmore matches..... Do you have a favorite brand of powder?"

My father-in-law used to have a .22 cadet with bull barrel. I know the mini-Mauser only in .22. I have the rare interim B-type Oberndorf Mauser .22. I handled a genuine Sharps in Cape Town about a year ago. I owned a Rem. rolling block many years ago, but in poor condition. Heard of a Creedmore, but never seen one - only the pictures of guys firing in all kinds of weird positions.

I shoot the only kind of black powder we can get in SA. Elephant brand, Ffg; under very strictly controlled regulations. Ffg means I can't get 40 grains into my .45 Long Colt SAA.

Carried my WW I khukuri on my belt to the range the other day. It caused a stir, 'cause the re-enactors realised it's not proper Anglo Boer War attire! But I did get a lot of praise also, because we appreciate "show-and-tell". My own dress is "veldschoens", white corduroy long trousers, off-white shirt, tan corduroy jacket with brown elbow patches, delapidated wide brimmed hat with one side turned up, bandolier with cartridges, revolver in holster on left side, and Martini-Henry. (During re-enactments, our non-existant trusty horses supposedly stand by our side!)

:D

2. Outdoors

Outdoors

May 24, 2001
    Drooling:eek: :eek:

Pat

3. Johan van Zyl

Johan van Zyl

Oct 11, 2000
    Quote from Pat: "Drooling..."

Wipe, wipe....