Johan's Pictures

Johan asked me to post these for him.

johan1.jpg

johan2.jpg

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Well, now, these are my very first pictures posted to GH Bladeforums, and I thank Craig most heartily for doing it for me, after receiving them by snailmail.

The big blade (if you're referring to the top one in my hand, Patrick) is a khukuri currently housed in the Fort (Military) Museum here in Bloemfontein. I sent a number of different photos of this khuk to JP, who said he would respond on GH Forum after returning home from his trip. My opinion is that it is a Nepalese villager. It's quite crudely made, and roughly sharpened, but very effective. Long slender blade like a sirupati. Crude steel buttplate. Wooden handle. Complete with karda and chakmak, and rather battered scabbard.

The second, lower khuk I am holding, did not come out clearly, which is unfortunate, because it is THE most fascinating khuk I've ever handled. Also housed in the Fort Museum. It's got such a sharply curving blade that it seems to describe a half-circle. It's totally exquisite, beautifully inlaid, and immaculately finished. We'll see proper photos of this one too, when JP returns.

The bottom pic is a kagas katne khukuri carved from elephant ivory, which I got in December 1999. It features a shouldered "fat" blade, has an overall length of a fraction under 6 inches and is well detailed with bolster, buttcap, handle rings, cho and engraved sword of Shiva. (Some artist's licence was however taken with the rings, which should have been in the centre of the handle.)

Once again, Craig, thanks.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Johan van Zyl (edited 06-22-2001).]

Here is a picture of one of the khukuris Johan talked about before.

This is a very nice example of an early 19th/late 18th century 'hanshee' probably of southern Nepalese origin with a beautifully done gold foliate design along the spine to the end of the double fullers at the shoulder.

Overall size of 15.75" would indicate this was a khukuri for a young man with status or even possibly from a ruling jat. The blade appears to be finely finished and highly polished which would be typical of something like this.

View

------------------
JP

Excellent blades, Johan. Thanks for the info!

Patrick

Sorry, some days I just can't spell!
Pat

[This message has been edited by Outdoors (edited 06-25-2001).]

Back