John Carter of Mars

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
Anyone seen it yet?

Dejah-Thoris-Lynn-Collins-.jpg

Last edited:
In the theater now. Bout to check it out in IMAX. Starts in 1minute.

Slow in the middle ... but enjoyed the beginning and the end.

Overall, I got my money's worth.:)

Of course, I'm so old I practically REMEMBER Edgar Rice Burroughs.;)

Not bad not great either. A lot of great looking blades - barongs, eneps, & tapangas etc.
Mostly a special effects extravaganza. Acting and writing were both sub-par.
I'd give it a solid 7.5 outta 10.

Saw it last night. I really enjoyed it and thought it played out really well. I liked how it had a little humor. Good movie.

Almost all the critical reviews have been quite good. There are complaints about how the film is being marketed.... Yesterday, on CNN, they noted that as far as Disney was concerned, you'd never know the thing was based on an Edgar Rice Burroughs series and that it dates back almost to the turn of the century.
Many science fiction fans have been waiting many years to see these on the screen; likely only possible with modern CGI.

Almost all the critical reviews have been quite good. There are complaints about how the film is being marketed.... Yesterday, on CNN, they noted that as far as Disney was concerned, you'd never know the thing was based on an Edgar Rice Burroughs series and that it dates back almost to the turn of the century.
Many science fiction fans have been waiting many years to see these on the screen; likely only possible with modern CGI.

Better make that "loosely based" on Burrow's work. They took a lot of liberties with the storyline and the characters. Of course, I just reread "A Princess of Mars" for the umpteenth time.

Worst ever!!!! I'd rather watch wickerman again than sit through 5 minutes of this crap.

Well compared to "Cloverfield", "John Carter" is a masterpiece. It depends on your point of view, I guess.

I cut my reading teeth on all the Edgar Rice Burroughs series and was looking forward to the movie which I saw last Saturday. Yeah, they took a lot of liberties with the storyline and the characters, but I was expecting this and went with the mindset I was going to be entertained and I was. IMO a lot less liberties than most of the Tarzan movies over the years ("Cheeta"? WTF, it was little Nkima! I could go on for days).

PS: Loved Woola! :D

Last edited:
Fortunately, I couldn't care less what the critics and other moviegoers think.

I enjoyed it. Good enough for me.

Yes, liked the toad-dog!

I saw it over the weekend and liked it. I found my old copy of Princess of Mars, and have been poking through it. Yeah, a lot of liberties were taken, but I think they did a good job. I hope that the sequels can be made, but the way the box office is looking, I think whoever green lighted the movie might be in for some bumpy seas :(.

Disney now says they might lose $200M on the movie.

Yes, it's going to be rough seas for the producers and director on this one.

Sad.

I'm one of the people who have been waiting half a century, literally, to see "A Princess Of Mars" on screen. My opinion is, it was well worth the wait. I would, and have, recommended it to all of my friends without hesitation. I didn't expect to see everything in "A Princess Of Mars" in the movie, but what WAS there was quite satisfactory to me, and I truly hope thet the other two of the trilogy will become movies in my lifetime.

I went in expecting yet another CGI mess like the latest Conan and was pleasantly surprised. This is a good movie; it would have been a great movie if they had tone down the flagrant violation of physics (this is a late 19th century piece trying to imagine the kinds of feats that we saw our astronauts perform on the moon -70 years later), but the story did hold together, the plot did move at a brisk pace, and there was an undercurrent of humor throughtout. It is not a Star Wars, Avatar or a Lord of the Rings, but I would say it is better than any of the 3 Star Wars prequels. I would give it a solid 7 out of 10.

n2s

Back