John Weiss & Son (London), History

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member
Earlier today, a cutler I know, asked me, by email, if if I could give him some information on an old knife he had. The knife in question bore the name of the famous London surgical instrument makers, John Weiss & Son, though, for various reasons, I think it was very probably made in Sheffield.

bpt1MOt.jpg

For those who might come across anything made by Weiss, I thought I'd paste in the part of my reply which deals with the history of the company. Hopefully, it can then be found by those searching for information:

John Weiss & Son was founded by John Weiss, who was born Johann Daniel Weiss, in Rostock, Germany in 1773. He was the son of Georg Bernhard Jacob Weiss and Anna Elizabeth Wamcross. After moving to London, Weiss, a third generation cutler, established the company at 42 Strand, London, in 1787. Weiss soon moved into the production of surgical instruments, and is credited with the invention of a particular amputation saw. He married Mary Kirby in 1805, and they went on to have both a son, Frederick Foveaux, and a daughter, Mary. Between 1811 and 1822, they were at 33 Strand, and listed in trade directories as a maker of surgeon's instruments and razors.

The following year, 1823, they published their first catalogue, and were at 62 Strand, where they were listed as a cutlers, in addition to a maker of surgeon's instruments. Within two years, the John Weiss & Son catalogue ran to 126 pages. John Weiss naturalised in 1826, though he still maintained strong German connections, being recommended as an Honourary Freeman of Rostock that same year. He also won Royal acclaim in Britain, and was designated 'Razor Maker to the King' under William lV (1765-1837). He also supplied officers of the British Army. Weiss additionally had an interest in veterinary instruments, producing a new type of fleam, for example.

vDUp35P.jpg

In 1831, John's son, Frederick Foveaux joined the firm, taking over, after his father's death in 1843.

Weiss & Son exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851, their central exhibition piece being in the shape of a cross, and containing 1851 Weiss instruments. It is similar in appearence to the great exhibition pieces produced by the likes of Joseph Rodgers of Sheffield. The company won a Prize Medal at the exhibition. Weiss also exhibited at the 1862 International Exhibition, and their fame was such that they are mentioned by name in the Sherlock Holmes novel 'The Adventure of Silver Blaze'.

61VFT-H4idL._SL1000_.jpg

In 1868, the company moved to 287 Oxford Street, where they had workshops, as well as a showroom. This was above the famous London showroom of Mappin & Webb of Sheffield. In 1856 they moved to 17 Wigmore Street, London, which was handy for the Harley Street trade. At the same time, their workshops were moved to Bowling Green Lane in Farringdon. Weiss & Son became a limited company in 1899.

the_start.jpg

In 1971, John Weiss & Son Ltd was acquired by Clement Clarke, and the two companies became part of the Haag-Streit Group in 1989.

the famous London surgical instrument makers, John Weiss & Son, though, for various reasons, I think it was very probably made in Sheffield.

Thanks for the research, Jack!! Great cutlery story!!
I have a question about the catalogue page near the top!? Plate 11 has three instruments; nos. 12, 13 and 14. Is there any description for them in the documents that you have??

Thanks guys, I wasn't really expecting any replies, just thought I'd put this up as a future reference (particularly as I read a lot of inaccurate info in relation to this firm) :thumbsup:

Charlie waynorth waynorth , there are quite a few Weiss catalogues available to download, free of charge online, including here, where I got that image :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi May be boring, may be interesting: I used to go into John Weiss shop, Dixey Instruments, Keeler etc in that area to buy instruments. The knife at No. 14 is a graefe knife for eye surgery. Named after an eye surgeon. These knives in stainless steel were replaced in the 1970's with knife blades made from diamond. The only source I knew of for these knives was in Antwerp. Clement Clarke were the suppliers of Wright peak flow meters.

Hi May be boring, may be interesting: I used to go into John Weiss shop, Dixey Instruments, Keeler etc in that area to buy instruments. The knife at No. 14 is a graefe knife for eye surgery. Named after an eye surgeon. These knives in stainless steel were replaced in the 1970's with knife blades made from diamond. The only source I knew of for these knives was in Antwerp. Clement Clarke were the suppliers of Wright peak flow meters.
Thanks for that info Taisho :thumbsup:

Back