Journey of a Randall 18

It started about 1970. Purchased to accompany my father in his duties during the Vietnam war. He volunteered for the Army and qualified for Special Forces (Green Beret).
After the war, and right before I was born, the family moved from Miami Florida to Colorado. Being a bow hunter and avid outdoorsman, this knife accompanied him on all of our outdoor hunting and camping adventures.

At age 45, with all his children out of the house, he decided to move back to Miami and live with his parents, to help out in their old age. He decided to make this trip via kayak. He took various waterways to the Mississippi River, then down to the Gulf of Mexico and along the coastline of Florida, all the way to Key West. The knife kept in close reach strapped to outside of the kayak for the entire 3 month journey.

His days of outdoor adventures being over, he put the knife away. He didn't clean it, oil it, or even remove it from the saltwater soaked sheath. I went to visit him a few years later and he showed me the knife. I almost cried. "it was supposed to be stainless" he said.
(pro tip: stainless steel is rust resistant, not rust proof).

2017 he succumbed to cancer, and the knife came to me.

This was the state of the knife when I received it.
IMG-0791.jpg

After cleaning it with a wire brush
IMG-0814.jpg

I wanted to find the same fishing line he used to wrap the handle before removing it. Scouring the internet for vintage fishing line, this was the closest thing I could find.
IMG-0828.jpg

With the handle wrap removed.
IMG-0862.jpg

In this state, I sent the knife to Randall Made Knifes for refinishing, and to obtain a new sheath.

This is what it looked like when they returned it to me three weeks later.
IMG-1401.jpg

New sheath and old sheath
IMG-1400.jpg

I re-wrapped the handle.
IMG-1403.jpg

Ready for it's next adventure.
IMG-1404.jpg

Thank you Randall Made Knifes for the expert refinishing of this functional piece of artwork!

Thanks for the story of the knife and your father. You have a wonderful keepsake, he will be remembered each time you use it. Kudos to you for bring it back!

That’s an awesome story and knife. I can’t begin to imagine a kayak trip like that! Thank you for sharing.

A most wonderful read A Ancap , I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Your style of writing is refreshing, it captivates; naturally appealing. I like it a lot.

Last edited:
Amazing journey, amazing knife...........Thanks for sharing that.👍:cool:

What a great way to honor your father. Well done!

And what the shop was able to do is pretty remarkable as well.

I love that your father used it like a tool and it worked well for him for years as it was meant to. Thank you for sharing a bit of your family history, your dad sounded like a cool guy.

It started about 1970. Purchased to accompany my father in his duties during the Vietnam war. He volunteered for the Army and qualified for Special Forces (Green Beret).
After the war, and right before I was born, the family moved from Miami Florida to Colorado. Being a bow hunter and avid outdoorsman, this knife accompanied him on all of our outdoor hunting and camping adventures.

At age 45, with all his children out of the house, he decided to move back to Miami and live with his parents, to help out in their old age. He decided to make this trip via kayak. He took various waterways to the Mississippi River, then down to the Gulf of Mexico and along the coastline of Florida, all the way to Key West. The knife kept in close reach strapped to outside of the kayak for the entire 3 month journey.

His days of outdoor adventures being over, he put the knife away. He didn't clean it, oil it, or even remove it from the saltwater soaked sheath. I went to visit him a few years later and he showed me the knife. I almost cried. "it was supposed to be stainless" he said.
(pro tip: stainless steel is rust resistant, not rust proof).

2017 he succumbed to cancer, and the knife came to me.

This was the state of the knife when I received it.
IMG-0791.jpg

After cleaning it with a wire brush
IMG-0814.jpg

I wanted to find the same fishing line he used to wrap the handle before removing it. Scouring the internet for vintage fishing line, this was the closest thing I could find.
IMG-0828.jpg

With the handle wrap removed.
IMG-0862.jpg

In this state, I sent the knife to Randall Made Knifes for refinishing, and to obtain a new sheath.

This is what it looked like when they returned it to me three weeks later.
IMG-1401.jpg

New sheath and old sheath
IMG-1400.jpg

I re-wrapped the handle.
IMG-1403.jpg

Ready for it's next adventure.
IMG-1404.jpg

Thank you Randall Made Knifes for the expert refinishing of this functional piece of artwork!
Wonderful keepsake to remember him by. Glad you were able to get it so nicely cleaned up. What is the black piece near the screw on buttcapp to the handle?

Holy crap that is a awesome story and knife!!! Very cool and thanks for sharing. I have always wanted a model 18 but as a hunter mainly I just never could justify it as it is not the ideal knife for hunting. But man this makes me want one even more again!!! That fishing line looks perfect too. I sure wish there was pics of his journey to that would be icing on the cake. That knife is a real family treasure imo

Last edited:
Nice backstory.....well done :thumbsup:

That Cortland line reminded me of fishing in the early 60's with a baitcasting reel. Spent many an hour picking out backlashes until I learned to thumb the spool.

Back