Photos Journey to a Lost World rainforest

Wow! just WOW! ... thanks so much for sharing the adventure. I would've been freaking out internally in those boulders- and the ants, no, that's the end of the line for me too- can handle snakes, crocs, furry critters and lizards but insects? ants and bees- nope, no way.

Hell of an adventure! Those boulders were insanity! Easy place to get stuck, wedged in rocks.... wow, that took balls. What a trip man, what a trip!

^-- I agree with L63 - wow, that was an amazing journey! :eek::cool: Thank you for sharing!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I do hate snakes and spiders though, especially poisonous ones and Australia seems to have plenty of those.

Last edited:
Loved reading about your adventure. Thank you for taking the time to document and share with us. Great selection of Busse & kin, too!

Cheers Mate!

Holy crap awesome trip mate!!! What an adventure!!! Getting stuck in amongst all those boulders was certainly a heart thumper for sure! Bloody hell. I would have been quietly sh#tting myself the whole time. But wow, something you will never forget. And those bloody green ants!! They're bastards!! Thanks for sharing your trip mate :)

What are those ants exactly? They're so damn aggressive! o_O Thankfully we don't have anything like that down south

When it comes to ants I've got a phobia about those. I've read a library of Vietnam books and one common theme for the men who stomped the bush were ants, specifically fire ants, they were all enlisted as NVA and VC. The description you gave of how they reacted was quite familiar. Fire ants built condos in the trees, shrubs and elephant grass and when disturbed it's like the sirens went off at the fire station and they all attack the intruder en mass. Individually they are a nuisance, en mass they become their own reactionary fighting force. One thing these ants were capable of is eliminating any amount of modesty you might have because guys came out of their clothes in a jiffy while his buddies pulled them off - and then the swelling and welts flourished :D Those were some big ants, made my skin crawl.

What are those ants exactly? They're so damn aggressive! o_O Thankfully we don't have anything like that down south

I spent a good deal of my childhood in PNG and they occupied just about every large leaf plant there. They were known there as 'green ants' and I've always known them as that. I got swarmed by them many times climbing mango trees. As you said, one sting is ok, maybe even two, but when 600 of them swarm on you, PHWARK!!!!! They're not that common here on the Sunny Coast, but occaisionally see their nests in the bush.

Awesome adventure. If you ever go again, some rope and a titanium grappling hook might be a good addition. You sure took a nice assortment of blades with you! I thought a yowie was following you through the rocks for a bit there. lol.

Sure but I don't go to Cape York every weekend :D
....you don't ???It's only what 2.5days drive each way.... ;) ;)

And I have to say that when you were in the rocks there I kept thinking...."Ouch...127hrs - INFIdu to the rescue" :D

I managed to keep both my arms, which I always consider to be a successful trip. :D I've never watched that movie I have to admit. There are some things I just don't want to be thinking about when I'm running around in the bush.

Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to put this together. Awesome!

Wow, what an adventure. Looks like a once in a lifetime kind of adventure. Thanks for sharing and the pics. Really great you didn't have any more of a "Situation" being out in the middle of nowhere all alone.
Thanks again,
Surfsidemel

Awesome thread mate, it's put some ideas in my head of giving this area a crack some time in the future

Back