JRE stone and Strop Bat

So I am new to the whole hand sharpening bit... I ran upon JRE stone and Strop Bat... Has anyone used one of these? And do you recommend it?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks

I have one and it's nice. I'm not sure I like a strop with 4 sides because you want to keep the strop compounds and surfaces clean but when you lay it down, there is always one side touching the surface you are laying it on.

I use and carry almost always, the knivesplus strop block:

http://www.knivesplus.com/KPSTROP.HTML#49

It's all I've needed for years now and gets my knives shaving sharp if the edge is good in the first place. I highly recommend it. I keep one in my BOB in a big zip lock and use it several times a week and have for about 4 years now.

Good luck!

Thanks Reeek... I didn't even think about the fourth side getting dirty. Thanks for the knivesplus link.

Thanks Reeek... I didn't even think about the fourth side getting dirty. Thanks for the knivesplus link.

I have a home made 4 sided strop bat, and indeed, it can be an issue with the side in contact with the table getting dirty.

I also sharpen, and reprofile with sandpaper which really = grit on the table! It has not kept my sharpener from being useful however.

I am sure that theirs is 100 times better than my self made one!

The next strop I am making will be a one sided for just this reason.

I just keep my JRE strop bat on a clean piece of paper. Then, after I strop my knife, I cut that poor piece of paper to shreds. Then I replace it with a new clean piece of paper.

Thanks everyone for the Replies.

What kind of Stones do you all use?
I was trying to get a Norton but won't ship to an APO address.

Back