JT Heat Treating Service

DustinY

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Okay guys, I don't know if this is going to be useful or not, but I have to say after receiving my package yesterday back from JT i'm immensely impressed and no longer question the price.

I sent him off I believe 8 blanks to be HT'ed, and surface ground. I had some other blades done by someone else - that assured me they were wrapped and i have a hard time believing them. The ones that came from JT are CRISP and clean, now i did pay from them to be surface ground but the edges are clean. The other knives i got are all covered in scale.

I don't know how JT makes money on any of this - his packaging job was incredibly nice - everything individually wrapped in brown paper to prevent scratching or shifting in the box during shipping. He also sent me a holiday card, which is a very personal touch to all of this. I know who i'll be using for all my knives, i truly feel like i got what i paid for - which in the end is all you want.

I used JT's blank service when he started offering it in AEB-L, the blanks were exactly as you describe. I'll be using him for this service and if I need to use outside heat treatment.

I got mine back from JT today. All I can say is DANG!!!! I totally agree with Dustin. They are incredible and I know where I'm going to continue send my heat treating. Thanks Jarod.

Michael

I too got a christmas card from JT. I only sent him 2 knives a few months ago, so I think it's nice that they didn't skip over their small time customers. Thanks Jerrod and Heather.

Same story for me. JT did a great job on the blades he did for me. I will use his services again in the future without question.

I sent 16 blanks to JT of different metals (AEB-L, S35VN and Pattern welded), they came back well done. He took care of warpage, left an awesome finish, contacted me throughout the process and shared valuable advice and pictures. For what I got the price was righteous.
Got a card too!
No doubt in my mind he will get my repeat business.
Thank you JT!

I would like to express my (our) deepest gratitude to all of you guys. We have enjoyed working with your blades this past year. It is truly amazing how much support and business we have received from this community. We very much look forward to what 2020 will bring and welcome back all our loyal customers with open arms. It has been a ton of work, especially the last 2 months. We have made some improvements to our processing and hopefully streamlined the website.

I must say when we started this business there where a few times we almost pulled the plug. I can remember the day everything changed and we knew we where on the right track. We where at the 2018 blade west and had lots of time to think things over. We decided that after the show we would pull the plug on heat treating. Up to that point it had been hit and miss. I guess you guys had other plans for us because immediately after blade it was as if someone flipped a switch and orders starting pouring in. I don’t know how, what or who triggered it but we will be forever great full to all our customers of past and present. With out all of you we would not be where we are today.

If there is ever anything we can do please let me or my wife know. We will be forever in your debt.
Thank you - Jarod & Heather Todd

I've only ordered one thing from you so far and I still got a Christmas card. Yay! lol :)

I can tell you are putting a lot of thought and care into your customers and business. I wish you guys all the best in 2020!

~Paul
My Youtube Channel
... (Some older vids of some of the older knives I made)

I put in a relatively large order from
Jarod and was extremely impressed. 130 ish blades cut, heat treated, hardness tested, 75 ish surface ground with a good turn around and shipped to the arctic. If I didn’t have to grind all the blades, I’d put in another order for sure . Heather does a lot of work too. Great service and good people.

My order of AEBL came back in great condition. The card is nice touch also. I'll have another order going out in January. Thanks for the great service.

It was because people saw you talking to me, and taking my two blades to heat treat...... I'm kind of a big deal.....

A trendsetter as it were......

I got a card from Jarod and Heather, too.

I have known jim by email and Shop Talk for a long time now. He is a mad genius at times. Sometime the accent is on the mad and other times on the genius. He loves to build things and create. He used to go at full tilt 24 hours a day. He has sowed down to a mild rush with the help of age and a good woman. His work ethic is wonderful and he cares about his customers. He is a good chap and deserves a little success ... he has worked hard for it.

Merry Christmas Jarod and Heather!

I have received several (3?) orders from JT - some plasma cut profiles, some profiles I generated and sent to him for HT. All came back in excellent shape, and (as others have pointed out) carefully individually wrapped.

Oh - and I also received a very nice Holiday Card!

Thank you JT! (oh - and I will have several HT orders coming your way early in the new year :)

I’m a fairly new maker and usually only do simple carbon steels but had some buddy’s who live in saltwater areas and needed stainless. So after joining this forum I saw Jarod posting and reached out to him. I helped me tremendously with my barrage of questions. So I sent my profiled blades to him. Great work and great people.

Just another shout out to JT for his heat treating, it's 1st rate, timely & a good guy to send stuff to for HT. Some day I hope to send him an order which I haven't screwed up on the details (no blade markings, wrong number of blades, no letter in the box to tell him how I need then done, etc. etc.). He's a good guy, honest & does quality work.

I agree 100%. I have purchased several of15n20 blanks that I have sent him drawings of and had them heat treated and ground. I sent in 10 knives to be heat treated 9 of them AEBL. They look great. Packing is top notch as well. I will be back lol

I found a spot where Jarrod messed up! I live near the border in Canada and when I had Jarrod ht a dozen blades I had them shipped to a receiving company on the US side. It's easier and less expensive to bring parcels across in person than ship across and pay brokerage fees and have things get hung up in customs. Of course Jarrod's parcel was perfect and the blades were immaculate. BUT a few months later near Christmas I got an email from the receiving company saying I had something there.

"?? I didn't order anything. Hey Katie...did you order something? Nope....hmmm the receiving company must have screwed up."

I arrived at Pic-it-Up which is a warehouse with about 5000 parcels......and one card taped to the wall beside the till for me! From Jarrod! Funny touch and even a smile from the border guard when I explained what I was bringing back to Canada!

Back