Junkyard question?

draftpick

Gold Member
what is the difference in the junkyards from Galyean and the junkyards from Kershaw other than the price. Kershaw has several with premium steels at a much lower price. just wondering what the extra cost gets you?

what is the difference in the junkyards from Galyean and the junkyards from Kershaw other than the price. Kershaw has several with premium steels at a much lower price. just wondering what the extra cost gets you?

The CPM 154 CM used on Tim's pro series Junkyard is a more expensive steel than any used on the Kershaw Junkyards. Tim's knives are also made of Titanium whereas most of the less expensive Kershaw Junkyards are stainless steel with g-10 scales. Titanium is expensive, but as strong as steel and really light. Tim's pro series knives (Junkyard included) also employ the IKBS ball bearing system in the pivot, Kershaw knives don't have this. This system doesn't belong to Tim so I'm assuming it costs him to be able to use it, but IKBS is supposed to be incredibly smooth and durable. Finally, Tim's Junkyard knives are semi-custom, which means they are not rolled off of the assembly line but hand finished to incredible tolerances. This is expensive to do and very time consuming, but it ensures that each knife will have perfect fit and finish with a perfectly smooth action while opening and a rock solid lockup.

To me the cost is more than justifiable.

No I don't have one of these yet, but yes I do want one. :thumbup: :D

Last edited:
Tim's Pro-Series knives have extremely high quality fit and finish. The blades are thick, flat ground, CPM-154. The IKBS system is fantastic and offers one of the fastest and smootest flippers I've ever owned or handled. The clip is also different in design and can be switched from tip down to tip up. IMHO this is a huge upgrade. I would say that these Pro Series versions are for someone who has already owned a JYD design from Kershaw and like the design so much that they want the MidTech version.

The Kershaw versions are very good. The Composite Blade version with CPM-D2 is an extremely nice design for the price and makes a great EDC. Kershaw's Ti/SG2 version is also a great knife. It's such a great knife that I own two and have had them switched to deep pocket tip up carry by STR. The only thing is that the SG2 blade has an extrememly thin grind. I wouldn't use it for heavy duty cutting, but would put the Pro Series model up against just about any task.

I own all the JYD models except for the custom pieces. It's my favorite knife design of all time. Everything about it makes it perfect for me. From the extremely comfortable handle, to the flipper, to the wide blade makes it a great EDC knife. I would suggest the Pro Series models to anyone looking for a high quality, high end, Ti framelock knife. If someone was tossing the idea around between a small Pro Series JYD and a small Sebenza, I would suggest the JYD. It's that damn good.

All I can say is the Pro Series is definitely worth the money. I've owned some Sebenzas, but the ergonomics, or lack thereof, just turned me off them, as well as the thin hollow ground blade. My JYD Pro Series has a beefy blade to match the beefy handle, but weight is still reasonable thanks to titanium. Incredibly comfortable in the hand and great balance. That IKBS system isn't a gimmick, it works, I don't think you'll find a smoother or faster opening flipper without any side to side play whatsoever.

All I can say is the Pro Series is definitely worth the money. I've owned some Sebenzas, but the ergonomics, or lack thereof, just turned me off them, as well as the thin hollow ground blade. My JYD Pro Series has a beefy blade to match the beefy handle, but weight is still reasonable thanks to titanium. Incredibly comfortable in the hand and great balance. That IKBS system isn't a gimmick, it works, I don't think you'll find a smoother or faster opening flipper without any side to side play whatsoever.

Yep, that sums it up pretty good!!:D

The larger JYD Pro Series is amazing, and the IKBS truly makes for one of the smoothest opening folders I've ever seen.

It's my favorite knife design of all time. Everything about it makes it perfect for me. From the extremely comfortable handle, to the flipper, to the wide blade makes it a great EDC knife. I would suggest the Pro Series models to anyone looking for a high quality, high end, Ti framelock knife. If someone was tossing the idea around between a small Pro Series JYD and a small Sebenza, I would suggest the JYD. It's that damn good.

+1 My favorite design as well.

Back