Jure first impressions

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
The mailman just dropped off my new Kumar made Jure model, and I have to say that I am impressed:) Kumar must have a Vulcan mind-meld with me or something. Everything I have of his fits me perfectly. Being an HI regular, I was expecting something "dinky" so to speak from the Jure. Something "lightweight" by HI standards. I wanted a Jure for the sake of having one of the neat little buggers. I figured it would get a place being an oddity of a cheese knife or maybe a gardening tool for my wife.

Here is a pic of the 3-23 DOTD. Mine is not this one, but my wife has hogged the digital cam for the week, so this is the best pic i can muster right now.
3-23-06-5.JPG

However, the Jure has more substance than you would think when you heft it. Mine came in at right at 11" in length and I'm going to guess it weighs 12-13oz. The spine thickness is pretty uniform at 1/4" thick for most of the length of the blade. The handle is finished very well with a really well done bolster. The inlays are neat and even. The scrollwork is perfect. Probably the neatest I have seen. I would imagine that a blade of this shape would be a little tricky to take on, but Kumar was spot on. The blade edge is neat and even, and his markings are very crisp and clean. The grip has a very subtle swell to it to keep your hand from moving forward. I really like the butt of the handle as well. It's rounded and comfortable enough to cup with your off hand to put downward pressure on the blade if you are cutting into something tough, like watermelon.
I got a little curious and took the little Jure out back and tried a few chops with it into some skid wood. This thing is a Pen Knife Lite:) It chops way better than it ought to. It has a multi-function edge that could do a lot of chores pretty well. It's comfortable in the hand with no rough spots. This sucker is STOUT even though it is a partial tang knife. I have no reservations using this blade hard.
In conclusion, I couldn't be happier with the little Jure. I would think that an ultralight hiker would like it for a chopping/smashing blade. The upturned tip would be great for turning steaks or chicken. It's blade is wide enough to flip burgers, and it has a built in bottle opener;) (Don't worry, i've seen Dave's review. I know enough not to try to use it as a bottle opener;)) I think this would make a great little jack-of-all-trades knife. It would work out well in the garden pruning and digging, it would be great in the kitchen for hacking through meat and slicing veggies, and it would fill an excellent role as a light camping knife. Hefty enough to chop small wood, light enough to pack, and "cute" enough not to scare fellow campers.
The Jure is in, Steely approves;)

Jake

Great review Jake. I like that handle a lot. I guess I missed Dave's review. Why would that not make a good bottle opener?

aproy1101 said:
Great review Jake. I like that handle a lot. I guess I missed Dave's review. Why would that not make a good bottle opener?
Thanks, Andy:) Dave did this to himself...twice i believe.
jure2.jpg

I manage to gouge myself with the dull screwdriver tip of my SAK when i open my beer bottle enough:) I might put on some heavy gloves and give it a try before i sharpen it.

Jake

Jake, the pictured knife is the one I got and I couldn't agree more with everything you said. It was a very nice surprise, indeed.

Dick

I always use a cigarette lighter to open my beers. (Very few decent beers have a screw off top IMHO.) When I bartended it helped out a lot. Plus you had to have a lighter handy anyway to light ladies cigarettes. Its just that that nook looks perfect for the task also. Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

I dunno. I don't seem to have a need for that one, despite the fact I have knives for cutting Zombies that have had salt-water exposure as well as knives for those who have ONLY been exposed to FRESH water. :foot: Dry zombies can be cut with certain others.... depending on the situation.

I bet the Jure has some specialized use in Nepal we may not know about....that 'lil point on the back, for example. They might use it to cut open okra or something.

Mike

Ad Astra said:
I dunno. I don't seem to have a need for that one, despite the fact I have knives for cutting Zombies that have had salt-water exposure as well as knives for those who have ONLY been exposed to FRESH water. :foot: Dry zombies can be cut with certain others.... depending on the situation.

I bet the Jure has some specialized use in Nepal we may not know about....that 'lil point on the back, for example. They might use it to cut open okra or something.

Mike

What if the zombie is holding an unopened BEER?

aproy1101 said:
I always use a cigarette lighter to open my beers. (Very few decent beers have a screw off top IMHO.) When I bartended it helped out a lot. Plus you had to have a lighter handy anyway to light ladies cigarettes. Its just that that nook looks perfect for the task also. Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

It is actually the official AA knife...
It uses negative feedback to discourage drinking...
Every time you open a bottle you cut your finger... Repeat enough times and your body will start to have negative feelings about even the idea of taking a drink, even in situations where you do not have to open it yourself...

Back