Just A Picture - Traditional Picture Show

OVnmpds.jpg

Tell us more about your relic....wow !!!!??
Well seeing as you ask Gevonovich...I've recently taken a job as Services Manager in a museum which celebrates the industrial and transport heritage of the South of England. It has a bric-a-brac shop with a tool department in which old tools are donated to raise money for the museum. Of course I've let the guy know I'm into old folders and sure enough he came up with this one which he sold to me very cheaply as he's not allowed to sell knives to the general public. He seemed a bit surprised that I'd want something so old and beaten up, but for me it tells a story of some guy who kept this thing by his side throughout his working life over a very long period of time. It's clearly had a great deal of use and maybe got passed down over the years from father to son, maybe lost, found reused by someone else and eventually sold to me to raise money for a great cause. Point is it's had a life and it bares the scars to prove it, but it remains useful and still functions as intended. Even the damage on the other side of the horn handle is, for me, testimony to its history and is all the more interesting for it. This knife expresses everything that is intriguing about collecting old knives, it speaks of days gone by when life was simple but hard and when this basic tool was essential in everyday life. As I've said before...If only these things could talk...but I guess, in a way they can.
Untitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr

Last edited:
Blake I second what Paul has said! Knives like this intrigue me. All the indications and signs of usage are all just part of a visual record of a knife that was up to the task and has lived to tell about it. New traditional knives are great but this one and others like it have a history that connect us in an almost visceral way to the past and a yet resonate in the present!! Thanks for a nice story—love it:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed my post. Nice to know I'm not the only one who appreciates old folders for their history beyond value and perfection. I guess you could make similar observations about anything old, but folders are so personal and self contained. History somehow emanates from them in a special way.

Well seeing as you ask Gevonovich...I've recently taken a job as Services Manager in a museum which celebrates the industrial and transport heritage of the South of England. It has a bric-a-brac shop with a tool department in which old tools are donated to raise money for the museum. Of course I've let the guy know I'm into old folders and sure enough he came up with this one which he sold to me very cheaply as he's not allowed to sell knives to the general public. He seemed a bit surprised that I'd want something so old and beaten up, but for me it tells a story of some guy who kept this thing by his side throughout his working life over a very long period of time. It's clearly had a great deal of use and maybe got passed down over the years from father to son, maybe lost, found reused by someone else and eventually sold to me to raise money for a great cause. Point is it's had a life and it bares the scars to prove it, but it remains useful and still functions as intended. Even the damage on the other side of the horn handle is, for me, testimony to its history and is all the more interesting for it. This knife expresses everything that is intriguing about collecting old knives, it speaks of days gone by when life was simple but hard and when this basic tool was essential in everyday life. As I've said before...If only these things could talk...but I guess, in a way they can.
Untitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr
What Paul so eloquently said ! Thank you !!!

Back