Just a thought on handle size

For my use, the handles on the Izula, ESEE 3 and 4, are much too small to be comfortable. I realize that many folks find them just right.
I know there are aftermarket handles available to help rectify the problem, but I wonder how much difficulty for ESEE would be involved, if those type of handles were available as an option from the maker. It seems like a simple fix from my standpoint.
The handle would just extend to the end of the tang, or maybe even a half inch beyond. A simple hole to accommodate the use of a lanyard would be simple to have.

Just picked up a 4 and an Izzy II. Great knives. Like them a lot.

But, small handles were the first thing that hit me too - mainly on the 4. Izula is a small knife, kinda' figured it would have smaller handles. I don't have huge hands (large size glove) so figured others had the same issue.

No worries - I made some wood handles and extended to the end of the tang. Doesn't sound like much, but the extra 1/2 - 3/4 of inch really made a diff. Plus larger diameter - Hand doesn't bunch up anymore.

picture.php
[/IMG]

A custom scale-maker could do this fairly easily......or someone who orders some thick micarta, has a bandsaw/scrollsaw/hacksaw and some sandpaper/files/4x6 bench sander.

If you have $25 to $50 and the above tools you could try to fashion yourself up more than a couple of sets of handles. I think ESEE will stick with the slimline for their smaller sized knives, but there's definitely room for you or someone else to make you some custom handles.

Check out the Tinkering, Embellishing and Knifemaker's forum for tips on making micarta handles. It is pretty easy.....you can even try to make your own micarta if you are adventurous, but I'd suggest to just buy some so you can get started quicker.

There are times when I wouldn't mind a more contoured handle or at least something a little thicker that fills the hand a little better. However with thicker slabs of micarta and more contouring, the price goes up. I really like the way the flat scales carry on the belt though.

yeah, I know all that. My point is that it would be a fairly easy factory option to provide thicker, longer scales on the knife.
ESEE has other options, such as adding a jump proof Molly back sheath, or not. I am not suggesting that ESEE provide this as a free option, but I sure would not mind paying $20-$30 more for a larger handle.
Heck, even McDonalds will 'super size' it for ya. :D

i was all set to but a rat4. then i got one in my hand. i dont have big hands. my shoe size is 8.5. and yes is have heard all the jokes. sorry thing about the jokes, they are not just jokes, they are all true! ok, back to the knife. the 4's handle was just too small for me to feel comfortable with. so now i am rat 5 bound. now "that's a knife"!

Sure they cost about $50, but The Knife Connection offers thicker, longer, contoured, handles for the 3 and 4.
They come with the hardware and install/fit very well. Like mentioned before, thicker material, more contouring, and the fact that they cover the pommels add to the expense. But, the fatter longer handle makes my 4 feel like much more of a knife!

Why are the handles so short? I have seen quite a few posts concerning this, so it's not just me (and my RC-3). Is there a particular reason for this?

Doc

The short handles are the reason I didn't buy a 4. My 6 has just the right handle size.

Sure they cost about $50, but The Knife Connection offers thicker, longer, contoured, handles for the 3 and 4.
They come with the hardware and install/fit very well. Like mentioned before, thicker material, more contouring, and the fact that they cover the pommels add to the expense. But, the fatter longer handle makes my 4 feel like much more of a knife!
exactly my point foxx. I don't see why ESEE can't offer a similar product as an extra cost option when you order.
I am going to have a custom maker re handle my ESEE 4, in Bocote wood. He is currently putting a new handle of that material on my Busse CABS, and for the same reason. The Busse handle is too thin, too short.
His cost is $40 + materials. He can do almost any material.

Personally I love the handle on the 4. I wear a large glove size, so average size hands I would guess?

Here is my thinking on the subject. With the forefinger snug against the guard, the part on the back of the handle that curves down as it approaches the end fits perfectly and comfortably against the heel of the palm, with the pommel nesting perfectly in the pad of your palm at its bottom corner. This gives you a very secure and powerful grip against your palm. If you do a straight-armed push cut, you get a lot of power and stability this way without using much hand or arm strength at all, just enough to keep the knife secure against the palm. If you ask me, that's a GREAT design. If the handle were longer, the pommel would rest outside the palm, requiring more hand strength, leading to more fatigue, and probably a bigger likelihood of slippage/injury.

Each one of the ESEE/Rat knives are made for specific tasks. There's alot more info on their web site as far as descriptions why that specific knife was created and the tasks it's intended for. But like you suggested, it would be nice if there was more handle options from ESEE directly.

Back