Just Bought a 8cr13mov Knife - What's your take?

If that is all you can afford, or want to pay, go for it...

A point I tried to make is that while this logic may have applied in years past, things are changing. Within the last year, I bought a Tangram in Acuto 440 and a Ganzo* in D2. Both were under $30 and both have performed admirably. I've looked at some decent Ruike knives using 14C28N in the $30-range. The Civivi knives using 9Cr18Mov in the $40-range are excellent. I think those Civivis are probably the best knife for the money right now, if you can excuse a little blue or gold accenting.

* I realize Ganzo is controversial. Some of their designs borrow a little too heavily from other companies. However, the FH11 I purchased is an original design and their use of D2 has been independently confirmed. I have taken mine apart and messed around with it. The construction is excellent and the action is very nice. I basically bought this one to abuse and it has held up remarkably.

* I realize Ganzo is controversial. Some of their designs borrow a little too heavily from other companies. However, the FH11 I purchased is an original design and their use of D2 has been independently confirmed. I have taken mine apart and messed around with it. The construction is excellent and the action is very nice. I basically bought this one to abuse and it has held up remarkably.
They don't borrow. They are proven thieves. Didn't we just go over this in another thread?

I only have one. A Kershaw Injection 3.5 I got new for $15. Couldn't pass it up, and for what it is, it is perfectly acceptable. In fact it is a heck of a knife.

Nothing wrong with 8cr13mov when it’s done right just like almost every other steel. Plus Byrd’s serrated knives are pretty dang good.

I don't know about that.

I have a BMW335i and MB ML350 in the garage but mainly drive my Chevy Bolt. I also have lots of M390/S110V and other premium bladed knives but am carrying an Ontario RAT1 w/an AUS-8 blade right now.

You sure that's not a Chevy Volt (not Bolt)? Can't go wrong with a RAT1.

No more 8Cr for me. Too many better steels that don't cost much more. Too often when I really need to cut stuff they just get dull too quickly. VG-10 is fine. I generally don't like to carry anything with less edge retention. It's not most days that 8Cr and other steels won't work well. But on the few days I need to do more cutting I don't want to stop and sharpen.

Last edited:
I sold my only spydie in 8cr13; it took a very keen edge but didn’t hold it as long as the typical spydie. As long as Ontario sells knives in d2 for $35, and Buck has 420hc knives for $25, there isn’t a place in my collection for blades made with 8cr13.

I carry the Cryos quite a bit and BladeHQ is running a sale on their G10/D2 exclusives this weekend.
I bought 4 yesterday lol! Hey, free shipping.
They’re actually a dollar or two LESS than their 8CR counterparts right now.
There is literally zero downside going 8CR > D2 in this case - only upsides.
So I guess I may retire my 8CR Cryos..

I sold my only spydie in 8cr13; it took a very keen edge but didn’t hold it as long as the typical spydie. As long as Ontario sells knives in d2 for $35, and Buck has 420hc knives for $25, there isn’t a place in my collection for blades made with 8cr13.
Yep. It sharpens nicely. Just doesn't hold an edge for me. I may try Spyderco 8Cr to see if it's any better. Maybe they push the hardening more?

Agree on Buck 420HC. The Large Vantage in 420HC doesn't get nearly the recognition it deserves, imo. It has a fantastic blade that holds an edge longer than you would expect. Not a great knife, but at $30, U.S. made and that blade it's a bargain.

I carry the Cryos quite a bit and BladeHQ is running a sale on their G10/D2 exclusives this weekend.
$33 is a great price for that knife. I still prefer the Large Vantage to this one (China + assisted), but this is a nice deal.

Last edited:
If you like it who cares what other people think. Some of my favorites have steel others would turn their noses up at, but they’re missing out. Got lots of AUS 8, 1095, 440c. Love my SAK and many would say it’s junk steel. Thought about getting an atmos myself. (Also before someone hates on AUS 8, try a Moki fish owl.)

I own a lot of knives, very high end pieces as well as many budget blades. If you use your knife for basic EDC chores, budget steels will work just fine. Also-Once you learn how to sharpen your blades, you will find less of requirement for exotic steels. The best knife is the one you like and you carry everyday. Remember, people have been using basic steels for many years before powdered steels were even invented(Nice to have but not a requirement)

I only have one. A Kershaw Injection 3.5 I got new for $15. Couldn't pass it up, and for what it is, it is perfectly acceptable. In fact it is a heck of a knife.
Me too. I like the Injection. Got mine for 15 too. Great deal.

My take is that it’s shite, but it’s (slightly) better than a blade made of dog turds. Sharpens up to a wickedly sharp edge, then dulls rapidly. If you use your knives a lot, it’s nice to go at least a month or two without sharpening.

Far better steels can be had for not much more money.

Back