Just bought a D'Allara Rescue Plain

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by kr1, Aug 24, 2007.

1. kr1

kr1

May 30, 2006
    I have been looking for a knife to replace my dragonfly that I proudly just passed onto my youngest son. I really thought very highly of the Dragonfly as an EDC knife. I have ordered the D'Allara Rescue Plain knife. I am looking forward to seeing if it as good an EDC knife as the Dragonfly was. It is supposed to arrive on the 28th.

Anyone have any opinions on the knife?

KR

2. proguide

proguide

Mar 26, 2004
    I am on the hunt for one as well.

3. xdshooter

xdshooter

Apr 18, 2007
    I have one, and although it is not my EDC, I really like it. The contour grip on the handle feels very good, but takes up too much space in my pocket. I like the flatter standard rescue for EDC (or rescue JR).

If you can live with the thickness, I think you will love it. Too bad they didn't do one in PE. Or did they?

4. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Are you talking about the D'Allara Rescue (serrated sheepsfoot blade) or the D'Allara Drop point? Or have I completely missed a model?

Both the D'Allara models are rather wide and fairly thick, as well as being HUGE compared to a Dragonfly. If you work in an office environment, I think you will want to look for something else. They are great knives for outdoor occupations and the like, but I find them a tad bulky for every day carry, and I carry a lot of knives.

Just for comparison, here are some pictures of the D'Allaras with an Endura 3 and Endura 4 for size comparison, and a picture with the Dragonfly and Endura 4 (bottom, second from right) to give you an idea of how they compare to the D'fly.

5. 3mptin3ss

3mptin3ss Banned BANNED

Nov 7, 2006
    they arent that big. a little wide, but i have no problem carrying it around with me everywhere. i carry my dallara drop point for self defense cause the ball lock lets you flick it out very fast. its a good knife, underrated inmop.

6. xdshooter

xdshooter

Apr 18, 2007
    I was talking about the sheepsfoot one, I had the drop point for a day, but sent it back because I wanted the sheepsfoot and was accidentally shipped the drop point. I prefer the sheepsfoot, but if you need an occasional slicer, the drop point was very nice. Holding the rescue model today, it occurred to me that the length of the handle is longer due to the design, with the front of the scales built on more of an angle than the endura. You can see this in yablanowitz's first picture, the top side of the handle is noticably longer.

7. Bungwrench

Bungwrench Banned by Moderators Banned

Dec 21, 2006
    Hopefully you realize that It's abut twice the size of the Dragonfly. :)

It is a good knife but it is very wide when closed (spine of blade to bottom of knife handle). :D

8. kr1

kr1

May 30, 2006
    Thanks everyone. Yep, I know its bigger but I think it will be manageable for EDC. I was originally looking at the mini Manix as a possible EDC. That would be bigger than I think would be comfortable. And yes, I am talking about the D'Allara drop point.

Nice collection of Spyderco's yablanowitz.:thumbup:

KR

9. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Thank you. That is an old pic, from before I really got rolling on the accumulation. I think I would need a ladder to get them all in the frame if I laid them out on the floor now. ;)

10. Psydotek

Psydotek

Mar 30, 2005
    Wait, what?!? Plain edge D'Allara rescue? Where can i buy one? :D

[i've got the SE rescue and drop point and love 'em both]

11. xdshooter

xdshooter

Apr 18, 2007
    someone with more knowledge can chime in here, but I don't think they made one. However, I do think Sal SHOULD make one. then again, I think he should send me one for free for thinking it up!! just kidding.

12. kr1

kr1

May 30, 2006
    Just received it. I LIKE IT! I think this will be a perfect replacement of my dragonfly as my EDC.

KR

13. A.P.F.

A.P.F.

Mar 3, 2006
    Enjoy your new knife, KR, as it is one of the best values in the Spyderco lineup. :thumbup:

14. kr1

kr1

May 30, 2006
    Thanks. I went back and forth between the Mini Manix and the Captain for months, both of which I was worried were too big for me for EDC. I was especially concerned because of the expense and I have never handled either knife. Then I saw the D'Allara rescue knife and liked it but I already have the Assist II and didn't really need another sheepsfoot blade. I really wanted a point on the knife and then I saw the drop point version and that was it.

So far I am very satisfied. It looks like its going to be a perfect EDC for me.

KR

15. kgriggs8

kgriggs8 Banned BANNED

Jan 28, 2002
    I think the VG-10/FRN Spydercos offer the most bang for the buck. VG-10 is really good steel and I think Spyderco does it well. FRN has grown on me over the years to where I regard it higher than just "plastic".

One of my all time favs is the Centofante 4. It is VG-10 and FRN. I also liked the DP D'allera and think it was one of the best larger folder for the money.