Just bought an Impinda, what can I expect? (Question to Impinda owners)

So today I just bought an Impinda and I was curious as to what current or past Impinda owners think of the knife. I have seen the review that Nick Shabazz posted, where he didn't like it, but for the most part other reviewers genuinely seemed to enjoy the model.

Unless you’re a die hard slip joint traditionalist that is imbedded in materials of old, then the Impinda may spoil you from other modern slip joints. It has that CRK quality that you’ll recognize once you handle the knife. It’s tight and smooth at the same time. Other than a T.A. Davison, the Impinda is the only other modern slip joint that I carry On a regular basis.

Unless you’re a die hard slip joint traditionalist that is imbedded in materials of old, then the Impinda may spoil you from other modern slip joints. It has that CRK quality that you’ll recognize once you handle the knife. It’s tight and smooth at the same time. Other than a T.A. Davison, the Impinda is the only other modern slip joint that I carry On a regular basis.
I like slip joints in general, but as for the modern take on them I haven't tried too many outside of the Spyderco UKPK, Benchmade Proper, and the Hinderer Slippy. I have collected a few GEC knives though.

I really enjoy my impinda
I have removed the pocket clip, I put a lanyard on it and carry it in the leather pouch that comes with the knife.

it is a very functional knife and can do everything you need from a basic light edc knife

you will have to give it a break-in period for the action to improve and get even better

unless some SAK I was usually not really into slipjoints but the impinda is something different and I like to carry and use it

If I had to sell all of my CRK's and I was only able to keep one... It would be the impinda. It's just so damn good.

3RPXi8H.jpeg

Just got my Impinda in hand today. It is gorgeous. The handle is more ergonomic and comfortable than the Small Sebenza or Small Inkosi. The blade is thin behind the edge, equal to a Small Sebenza Drop Point. The fit and finish are perfect, like all slip joints, it has a semi-gritty action right now, but over time I assume like with all slip joints it will wear in beautifully. Honestly could not be happier with this, and it will probably become my new favorite CRK.

The Impenda makes me sad inside. I'll be okay. Chris Reeve Knives going to an outside designer? It seems like the beginning of the end for an amazing, innovative, unique, company. I'm sure the design is fine, and the quality is probably impeccable but if I wanted a Spartan 3.25 I'd buy a Spartan 3.25. If I want a Chris Reeve then I want a Chris Reeve knife; designed by Chris Reeve or an evolution of his design.

9Xyf2XP.jpg

That isn't really a true/genuine statement; there are quite a few collaborations between Chris Reeve and Bill Harsey - The Yarborough, Green Beret to name a few. Not at all the "beginning of the end."

No question that the Spartan and Impinda are similar, I think that speaks more to Mr. Harsey's distinct style however.

Ti Lock ?? Hawks ....Collaboration ... It's way under rated... Best blade to handle ratio ever! Fun, and so unique... always a convo starter! Sleeper CRK...

The Impenda makes me sad inside. I'll be okay. Chris Reeve Knives going to an outside designer? It seems like the beginning of the end for an amazing, innovative, unique, company. I'm sure the design is fine, and the quality is probably impeccable but if I wanted a Spartan 3.25 I'd buy a Spartan 3.25. If I want a Chris Reeve then I want a Chris Reeve knife; designed by Chris Reeve or an evolution of his design.

9Xyf2XP.jpg
After owning an Impinda for awhile now, and Spartans, I disagree. They are both completely different beasts, and while the Impinda inherited a lot of Harsey's DNA, much like with the Pacific, and Green Beret, and other collabs... the CRK genes seem to be the more dominate ones. Easy disassembly, a build that will last a lifetime, simplicity, s35vn blade and spring bar, a blade ground as thin as a small sebenza. Even in the video for when Tim Reeve said he was making this, he said he changed a lot of the design that Harsey originally put out to him.

No matter. This is far from the first collaboration between Chris Reeve Knives, and it will not be the last. In fact one of the most sought after Chris Reeves at the moment, the Ti-Lock was a collaboration.

Reactions: 353

9Xyf2XP.jpg
Also there will have to be new designs or the company will fall stagnant. Chris Reeve is not in the company anymore. Tim Reeve, his son, has taken up the metaphorical torch to continue the flame of his father's ideals. I think with the Impinda he has done that well, while introducing the first non-locking folder by the company. If you want Chris Reeve designs, just buy with birthdates before he left the company. I do think it is offensive and harmful to Chris Reeve Knives as a whole to say that only designs by the founder can be used or accepted. They can do so much more and go further than Chris ever imagined over time, but they cannot be shackled by the past.

Impinda is a slipjoint folder, and a damn fine one. Spartan is an awfully nice framelock. Different knives, sharing a little designer blood. No reason to be "sad" over it, it's definitely not the signal of demise for CRK 🤣 The sign of that will be when they come out with a butterfly or some lame karambit... one old guy's opinion ;-)

Don't pay any attention to me, I'm probably being too negative. The OP wanted to know what owners thought of the knife, I looked at it briefly, but it didn't appeal to me so I didn't get one.

I like that Chris Reeve Knives are unique, the Impinda looks very ordinary. Plus I don't understand why you'd want a slip joint Delica size knife with a pocket clip. But if you like the style then I'm sure the Impinda is a well put together knife. It'll be interesting to see the upcoming Les George/Chris Reeve. Or Shirogorov/Chris Reeve? Ooohhh, or maybe a Greg Medford/Chris Reeve!! The possibilities are endless.

Don't pay any attention to me, I'm probably being too negative. The OP wanted to know what owners thought of the knife, I looked at it briefly, but it didn't appeal to me so I didn't get one.

I like that Chris Reeve Knives are unique, the Impinda looks very ordinary. Plus I don't understand why you'd want a slip joint Delica size knife with a pocket clip. But if you like the style then I'm sure the Impinda is a well put together knife. It'll be interesting to see the upcoming Les George/Chris Reeve. Or Shirogorov/Chris Reeve? Ooohhh, or maybe a Greg Medford/Chris Reeve!! The possibilities are endless.

Shiro has already done a collaborative with Chris Reeve, and it is beautiful as it is expensive.

SCDUNIHATIONGRn.jpg

Another question is, why would you want a slip joint in the same size range as the delica. While they are different knives, I see your point. For one, the slip joint style of knives is a time tested design. There are old traditional knives that are 100 years old and still work, some even older. This is one of the reasons why I chose the Impinda over the Inkosi or the Sebenza. While I don't think a lock-bar on a Chris Reeve will wear out in my lifetime, I like the idea of the S35vn spring bar being heat treated to the same HRC as the blade. This makes it so they wear extremely low on each other, extending the lifespan further.

Another reason for this knife in particular is disassembly. Some slip joints are very hard to disassemble, or impossible to disassemble due to pins. In fact, even the Delica I would say would be harder to disassemble when compared to the Impinda. This is a big reason to get any Chris Reeve knife, ease of maintenance. Another reason is the blade shape of the Impinda. Like I said, this comes down to a behind the edge thickness equal to a Small Sebenza. Making this blade have thin edge geometry. To add to the tip, they have also made a swedge along the top-side of the Impinda that makes the tip very thin and great for piercing, yet stout enough as to not break easily. This is a similar idea to the Insingo's swedge.

Another reason to get this slip joint in particular is the mechanism they used for the spring bar interacting with the blade tang. While it is not going to be as strong as a locking knife, the detent on the Impinda is strong enough that I have done everything with it, that I would normally do with a locking blade. The detent is noticeably stronger when open to stay open when compared to other slip joints I have used. (GEC, Benchmade Proper, Spyderco UKPK, Case Knives, Buck). While this is still not going to be a knife you should stab something into and move the knife in the direction of the spine, it will close much slower and take more force than other slip joints.

Another reason why I would choose a slip joint over a locking knife, is the people friendly nature that it has. I am not just talking about using it and opening it in front of knife scared people. Although that is a factor, it is not a very scary knife to use in public. But I am talking about the operation of it. Most everyone knows how to operate a slip joint, so if you hand the Impinda to someone they will know how it works, although might say it is stiff or smooth depending on how much you've broken it in. This might not be a factor for some people, but as someone who hands their knife out regularly for work to others, this comes in handy.

I also have never been in a situation in which I needed to open my knife one handed. I have tried to look for areas or situations in my life that required it, but I have never encountered one. I'm sure that there might be a time in life when a one handed opening knife is needed, like a construction job or a harder use job, but I have not had one happen in my daily life. If you think about it, the slip joint was one hand opening for generations, and they faired fine. I am sure if I ever encounter a Special Operations Tactical-Style scenario in my life, I might need a knife to be one hand opening, but honestly using a knife in a self defense situation is almost never a good idea.

The operation itself is very nice, and almost meditative in a way. I doesn't have any drop shut action to speak of. It also has no half-stop. The knife started off feeling very gritty and tight, but over time it has worn into being the hydraulic smooth action that I feel most CRK have. It has a unique action, in that the knife starts to feel more resistant around halfway to being open, but then snaps open with authority. The knife closes in much the same manner, but with opposite resistance obviously. The knife's bias for closing starts at around a 40 degree angles, and alligator snaps shut. I like this in comparison to a lot of half stops, because I feel like it is safer. Also because of this biased to stay closed, like with lock backs, the knife will pretty much never accidentally open. If you drop, say an Umnumzaan or a Sebenza on the ground, which I have... the knife has a good chance of deploying from impact. The Impinda has hit the ground and tile flooring fairly hard, and has not even opened in the slightest. This gives me a lot of confidence when carrying in the pocket because I know it will never accidentally deploy.

Also, the steel itself is very nice. While not m390 or 20cv like you see in Hinderer's slip joint or Lionsteel's modern line of slip joints, S35vn has a nice balance to it. It also has a great deal of toughness, and corrosion resistance. S35vn is also not a bear to sharpen in my experience like 20cv or m390. I do like the family of steels for 20cv and such but maintaining them is always sort of annoying because it is a very hard steel, or should be if properly heat treated. It strops up to phone paper cutting sharpness no matter how much of a hard day it has gone through, and if I ever need to repair edge damage it will be in my area of sharpening expertise. I also like that S35vn is a steel developed and used by the maker. I feel after using it for this long they have perfected the heat treat on it and have really nailed down what S35vn is.

So another big one, why the pocket clip? Well, they do provide you with a tab and a leather sheath to use if you don't want to clip it to your pocket. I go back and forth between using a pocket clip and not, but the main point of wanting a pocket clip on any knife is to keep it from jumbling around in the bottom of your pocket. The pocket clip they used has a good amount of strength to it, and might be tougher to use on thick pairs of pants. For me, one that wears chef pants most often, I find that it works great and holds strong. I have no worries about it ever coming loose even if I were to hang upside down for some reason. If anyone does not like the custom clip that the Impinda has, it also fits all Chris Reeve standard pocket clips, which also means that the Lynch clip for CRK knives will fit this as well. The tab they provide to get rid of the pocket clip entirely, also fits flush to the knife, and so it does not sacrifice the clean lines of it.

The CRK warranty is a big reason to get this, although I don't feel the need to explain why this is a good thing.

Also this is purely subjective, but aesthetically I do agree it looks simple, but doesn't every Chris Reeve Plain Jane look simple? Is there not a beauty to that simplicity? The pivot is an eye-catcher for me, and it catches light beautifully.

Another thing that is subjective are the ergonomics. I really love this handle. More than any Chris Reeve I've had so far. The groove son the handle for your fingers are large enough to fit my fat XL fingers, which was something I felt was too small on the Small Inkosi. It also has a better handle feel than the Small Sebenza, which felt just slightly cramped for my fat hands. The handle goes downwards towards the butt, and it allows for when you put pressure on the blade to cut, that the back of the handle is secure on your hand and almost hooks your palm so that it gives more leverage and cutting power to the cut you are preforming.

I feel like Nero explains this idea very well on his review of the Microtech LUDT. He starts to go over the ergonomics of the LUDT and will explain what I am trying to explain better at 19 minutes and 33 seconds into the video.

Also, another thing is a lot of people question the capabilities of a slip joint. After all, if it doesn't have a lock, how safe is it? What can it do and what can't it do? I have found many threads on Bladeforums discussing how people have used a slip joint for tasks such as skinning a deer.

Obviously, it can open packages, cut cardboard, cut box tape, cut an apple, do some food prep, open bags, cut straps and strings, and pretty much everything a locking blade could do. Maybe while sacrificing a bit of safety, but as someone that used to be into balisong/butterfly knives... I do like the bit of danger, which is a bit weird to say. Although according to the guy in the video I will post below, a slip joint at even 2 inches in blade can do Bushcrafting!

By now you know I could go on and on about the Impinda. For me the Impinda is the Sebenza attitude of work knife, but forged into the world of modern slip joints. I love it.

JnZgwJr.jpeg

Last edited:
Shiro has already done a collaborative with Chris Reeve, and it is beautiful as it is expensive.

SCDUNIHATIONGRn.jpg

Another question is, why would you want a slip joint in the same size range as the delica. While they are different knives, I see your point. For one, the slip joint style of knives is a time tested design. There are old traditional knives that are 100 years old and still work, some even older. This is one of the reasons why I chose the Impinda over the Inkosi or the Sebenza. While I don't think a lock-bar on a Chris Reeve will wear out in my lifetime, I like the idea of the S35vn spring bar being heat treated to the same HRC as the blade. This makes it so they wear extremely low on each other, extending the lifespan further.

Another reason for this knife in particular is disassembly. Some slip joints are very hard to disassemble, or impossible to disassemble due to pins. In fact, even the Delica I would say would be harder to disassemble when compared to the Impinda. This is a big reason to get any Chris Reeve knife, ease of maintenance. Another reason is the blade shape of the Impinda. Like I said, this comes down to a behind the edge thickness equal to a Small Sebenza. Making this blade have thin edge geometry. To add to the tip, they have also made a swedge along the top-side of the Impinda that makes the tip very thin and great for piercing, yet stout enough as to not break easily. This is a similar idea to the Insingo's swedge.

Another reason to get this slip joint in particular is the mechanism they used for the spring bar interacting with the blade tang. While it is not going to be as strong as a locking knife, the detent on the Impinda is strong enough that I have done everything with it, that I would normally do with a locking blade. The detent is noticeably stronger when open to stay open when compared to other slip joints I have used. (GEC, Benchmade Proper, Spyderco UKPK, Case Knives, Buck). While this is still not going to be a knife you should stab something into and move the knife in the direction of the spine, it will close much slower and take more force than other slip joints.

Another reason why I would choose a slip joint over a locking knife, is the people friendly nature that it has. I am not just talking about using it and opening it in front of knife scared people. Although that is a factor, it is not a very scary knife to use in public. But I am talking about the operation of it. Most everyone knows how to operate a slip joint, so if you hand the Impinda to someone they will know how it works, although might say it is stiff or smooth depending on how much you've broken it in. This might not be a factor for some people, but as someone who hands their knife out regularly for work to others, this comes in handy.

I also have never been in a situation in which I needed to open my knife one handed. I have tried to look for areas or situations in my life that required it, but I have never encountered one. I'm sure that there might be a time in life when a one handed opening knife is needed, like a construction job or a harder use job, but I have not had one happen in my daily life. If you think about it, the slip joint was one hand opening for generations, and they faired fine. I am sure if I ever encounter a Special Operations Tactical-Style scenario in my life, I might need a knife to be one hand opening, but honestly using a knife in a self defense situation is almost never a good idea.

The operation itself is very nice, and almost meditative in a way. I doesn't have any drop shut action to speak of. It also has no half-stop. The knife started off feeling very gritty and tight, but over time it has worn into being the hydraulic smooth action that I feel most CRK have. It has a unique action, in that the knife starts to feel more resistant around halfway to being open, but then snaps open with authority. The knife closes in much the same manner, but with opposite resistance obviously. The knife's bias for closing starts at around a 40 degree angles, and alligator snaps shut. I like this in comparison to a lot of half stops, because I feel like it is safer. Also because of this biased to stay closed, like with lock backs, the knife will pretty much never accidentally open. If you drop, say an Umnumzaan or a Sebenza on the ground, which I have... the knife has a good chance of deploying from impact. The Impinda has hit the ground and tile flooring fairly hard, and has not even opened in the slightest. This gives me a lot of confidence when carrying in the pocket because I know it will never accidentally deploy.

Also, the steel itself is very nice. While not m390 or 20cv like you see in Hinderer's slip joint or Lionsteel's modern line of slip joints, S35vn has a nice balance to it. It also has a great deal of toughness, and corrosion resistance. S35vn is also not a bear to sharpen in my experience like 20cv or m390. I do like the family of steels for 20cv and such but maintaining them is always sort of annoying because it is a very hard steel, or should be if properly heat treated. It strops up to phone paper cutting sharpness no matter how much of a hard day it has gone through, and if I ever need to repair edge damage it will be in my area of sharpening expertise. I also like that S35vn is a steel developed and used by the maker. I feel after using it for this long they have perfected the heat treat on it and have really nailed down what S35vn is.

So another big one, why the pocket clip? Well, they do provide you with a tab and a leather sheath to use if you don't want to clip it to your pocket. I go back and forth between using a pocket clip and not, but the main point of wanting a pocket clip on any knife is to keep it from jumbling around in the bottom of your pocket. The pocket clip they used has a good amount of strength to it, and might be tougher to use on thick pairs of pants. For me, one that wears chef pants most often, I find that it works great and holds strong. I have no worries about it ever coming loose even if I were to hang upside down for some reason. If anyone does not like the custom clip that the Impinda has, it also fits all Chris Reeve standard pocket clips, which also means that the Lynch clip for CRK knives will fit this as well. The tab they provide to get rid of the pocket clip entirely, also fits flush to the knife, and so it does not sacrifice the clean lines of it.

The CRK warranty is a big reason to get this, although I don't feel the need to explain why this is a good thing.

Also this is purely subjective, but aesthetically I do agree it looks simple, but doesn't every Chris Reeve Plain Jane look simple? Is there not a beauty to that simplicity? The pivot is an eye-catcher for me, and it catches light beautifully.

Another thing that is subjective are the ergonomics. I really love this handle. More than any Chris Reeve I've had so far. The groove son the handle for your fingers are large enough to fit my fat XL fingers, which was something I felt was too small on the Small Inkosi. It also has a better handle feel than the Small Sebenza, which felt just slightly cramped for my fat hands. The handle goes downwards towards the butt, and it allows for when you put pressure on the blade to cut, that the back of the handle is secure on your hand and almost hooks your palm so that it gives more leverage and cutting power to the cut you are preforming.

I feel like Nero explains this idea very well on his review of the Microtech LUDT. He starts to go over the ergonomics of the LUDT and will explain what I am trying to explain better at 19 minutes and 33 seconds into the video.

Also, another thing is a lot of people question the capabilities of a slip joint. After all, if it doesn't have a lock, how safe is it? What can it do and what can't it do? I have found many threads on Bladeforums discussing how people have used a slip joint for tasks such as skinning a deer.

Obviously, it can open packages, cut cardboard, cut box tape, cut an apple, do some food prep, open bags, cut straps and strings, and pretty much everything a locking blade could do. Maybe while sacrificing a bit of safety, but as someone that used to be into balisong/butterfly knives... I do like the bit of danger, which is a bit weird to say. Although according to the guy in the video I will post below, a slip joint at even 2 inches in blade can do Bushcrafting!

By now you know I could go on and on about the Impinda. For me the Impinda is the Sebenza attitude of work knife, but forged into the world of modern slip joints. I love it.

JnZgwJr.jpeg

But do you like it :)
Good write up. That must have taken a bit of time.
I just got one, and I am still a bit on the fence -is it a keeper-but it is an interesting knife, and I believe I will give it a little time to grow on me

Back