Just Finished, new Tactical Knife Design. Pic heavy...

I'm not sure I am up to snuff with the other stuff posted here in the gallery as there is some superb craftsmanship on display. I am truly impressed and inspired by seeing everyone's terrific work. Here is my latest sharp and pointy thing...

I did a WIP thread for this knife as I thought it would be fun to see reactions to the initial design, and also to collect some feedback concerning R&D that was being done and so forth. And having that up there kept me motivated to get it done... lol. I am displaying the finished pics here as that seemed more appropriate, and the WIP would just have them buried three pages back... Hey, after all we do this stuff to show it off, right? That thread is located here. It contains the explanation of the design and so forth.

The essentials are: It is 9.25" in overall length and made of 3/16" thick 1095 steel. The main bevels are flat ground, and the tip is a convex grind on those bevels. This allowed me to keep a lot of steel up near the tip for use as a pry tool. There are about 1.25" of serrations near the finger guard as nothing seems to cut paracord, webbing, seatbelts, etc quite as well as a serrated blade. The scales are black canvas micarta that has been smoothed to around 600 grit, and left a little rough for slip resistance. They are retained by two antiqued nickel finished solid steel Chicago style screws with a combined Phillip's and wide flat screwdriver pattern. The flat grooves are wide enough to use a dime in the rare event field stripping may be necessary. The sheath is aluminum and kydex with Blade-tech MOLLE-Loks and can be adjusted up and down for ease of carry. The MOLLE-Loks can also be mounted at an angle if so desired. Again, the sheath can be fully disassembled if necessary.

Thank you to everyone who had input or answered questions either publicly here or privately regarding this build. While use of tactical knives is well within my area of expertise, this was my first attempt at making a tactical knife, and the help was certainly appreciated. And yes, it does look like a shark... I don't normally name my knives, but this one is begging for a name. I don't know what the mods would think about it, but I would love to do a 'name this knife' contest...

ac9bb9823c107c09e5026bb5eb5e907e.jpg

b14556c990c555587a7ebb23b2fe4dda.jpg

f8a897b66581970b335ba0cb254cca9d.jpg

58b0654665b5c57d40c14e27ecd25464.jpg

d97b8ead42b38d1019740c058eee16a0.jpg

ed988f1a106561c11cebf5fb10deb39a.jpg

681894956a607f0235e0de20f1b3a762.jpg

83f21fc4e305712b1b0b74870d42df92.jpg

Thanks again for all of the support, good advice, and resources gleaned from the BF crowd. Cheers!

I'm not big into tactical designs but I like this. 'Though not a big fan of the dorsal fin I can see its purpose and usefulness. I like the pinky ring a lot - retaining ones weapon during hand to hand is essential. Overall a cool knife, I like it very much.

This is a really nice design. Form following function which is as it should be. Awesome looking blade too. I'll take one!

This is one of the very few truly innovative tactical designs I have seen in a long time. Your WIP thread was a real pleasure to follow. Can we expect to see a range of knives in the "Shark" line? Perhaps a Guppy neck knife ;)

This one is available for sure. I am exploring the best way to make several as I want to put a few in some hands and see how they work for everyone else. My former beat partner and I have specific taste and weren't sure how well it would work for eveyone else but its sounding like our taste was right up a lot of other's alleys... I have requests for a couple out of other steel choices, and seeing how they work in those steel choices. I would offer a special price to BF'rs obviously. Offering a lower price to LEO's and stuff as well.
Thank you all for the kind words. I really appreciate it. I am extremely pleased with how this one turned out. It feels great in the hand gloved or otherwise... I would also love to put the basic design out to some of you guys and let you all play with it too and see if there are variations on it you guys would like to see.
We have also decided to try take 2 on the sheath. While the one seen here is very solid, and very user friendly, we think we can slim it down from that a bit so we will give it a shot... Should be finished with that and have some pics up shortly.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I forgot to add these pics here. I am particularly proud of the balance point in these knives. I have found for choppers and larger combat knives I like them to be as blade heavy as possible. For any knife intended to be a CQB weapon, I like a balance point right on the index finger. There is a lot a close quarters manipulation that can take place trying to get an advantageous angle on an opponent and a midpoint balanced knife, for me at least, seems to assist in that task. I tried to keep the scale of the knife to end up balanced like this and lucked out with a nice balance point. If you ever want to have a bit of fun, or are just a glutton for punishment, find someplace you can play with a couple of shock knives. Pain is a great teaching tool... lol. I'm a big fan of simunitions and airsoft guns as well...

65c9a8ee457efb4214d017b1bcd9a325.jpg

74d15af60beef71997a5210246d05f45.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that is one bad-ass blade, if I were in a sticky situation, I'd very much like to have that in hand! :thumbup: love the sheath too.

Thank you all for the kind words. This one seems like it is destined to never be truly done. We are playing with a slimmer sheath out of some different materials hopefully adding a little more mounting flexibility, and a new type of handle bolts to see if we can slim down the handles just a little more. I have made a couple of entries with it, and while it hasn't been used for anything cool yet, it certainly fit in with the rest of my gear fine. (No snagging or other hangups and such.) At some point I will have to call it done and get more than one out into the world for some unbiased feedback...

I like the blade shape and the sheath a lot. Really cool blade coating too.

Couple things I would change, I would get some smaller screws for the handle and incorporate some jimping some how.

I like the blade shape and the sheath a lot. Really cool blade coating too.

Couple things I would change, I would get some smaller screws for the handle and incorporate some jimping some how.

Thanks, but the screws are big enough to be unscrewed with a dime... Dont ask me why, but that was a specific request. I have a set coming that are lower profile, but same diameter. Again with a slot large enough for a dime or something similar to unscrew.
I'm not a jimping fan, neither are a lot of the guys I have trained with. The little 'dorsal fin' provides the necessary leverage for thumb up stuff, the rest of the time we have a feeling that jimping is unneccessary or otherwise overly abrasive for its limited use. I did a randomized thing on another knife for jimping that is my outside exception, but frankly just not a fan. If this becomes a regular thing, I can see offering different scales/screws/surface treatment and stuff like jimping as I can understand those who do like it.
This honestly started off as a personal request from a friend for a one off thing, but has (truly thankfully) spawned several requests that I am falling behind on due to other projects, and is a long way from being offered on any type of retail basis.

Very nice- especially the glass break and pinkie guard. Tried sending you an email with no success- is there a better email than the one on your website?

The pinky hook is an interesting touch. Obviously, you have put some thought into the design.
I like it.

Back