Just got my Chainpure!!

Via the USPS today,thanks Yangdu! It is now out on the screened porch with the first coat of tru-oil drying on the handle. I polished it up using #0000 steel wool. It's my first Khukuri and I think it looks very nice. I will probably tru-oil the karda and chakma next. As soon as the handle is finished I will be sharpening the bugger and putting it to work on some palms I have invading my driveway.
So,you guys think of this as a lightweight? Wondering now what the CAK I ordered will be like:eek: .

TWBryan

yes the chainpuri is lightweight...
but your talking about HI khukuris here buddy!
where else can you go where people consider a 12-15"+- knife to be considered "baby" :p

glad you enjoy it :thumbup: :D happy HIKV :)

Thanks jaiofspam only handled it briefly before starting to work on it,but definetely felt some character in the knife. Kinda weird in a way,like a personality.

TWBryan

if you think a 12 in chainburi is baby, you should see something like a 9 inch fullered chitlangi :) hee hee

bladite

My chainpuri is extremely light for its length (for an HI). I think you'll love the CAK in a totally different way. :)

John

Spectre it definetely feels like a light ,and suprisingly, well balanced blade. I have rushed through the handle finish so I can sharpen it today and see how it works on palmetto stalks and light wood. Feels more comfortable every time I pick it up.
Something about the CAK just speaks to me and I had to have one. Next on the list,when I'm financially solvent again anyway, is going to be a horn-handled sirupati ,probably 15 inches or less. So far so good.

Jaiofspam-now a little nervous about cak,will I be able to lift it? :eek:

TWBryan

Jaiofspam-now a little nervous about cak,will I be able to lift it? :eek:

TWBryan

sure!, youll be able to lift it... the problem is being able to put it down ;)
HIKV will take over your body and you will have an uncontrollable urge to chop chop chop.
try not to destroy you living room ok... please do all chopping outside :thumbup: :D

now my 25" ganga ram is a bit heavy for normal use... maybe to decapitate goats or something :cool:

ohhh yeah, cant forget about daves 40" monster!!! :eek: :)

happy HIKV bro..... there is no cure!!!

Well I used the Chainpure for the last two days on some yardwork, cutting palmettos and trimming tree limbs I was removing. I did manage to roll the edge of the blade about 1 and 1/2 inches from the tip. The handle twisted in my hand as I was chopping palmetto stalks. I worked it over until it smoothed out. Seems to work very well removing palmetto stalks and fronds. It's not as good on chopping through wood,though I did cut through a couple 2 inch branches just to see. After spending some time working on the blade I have it so it will take a decent edge. Likewise I have sharpened the karda so it is a little scalpel. I'm pleased with the kukri and it's performance. I feel it works best on cutting palmettos and similar vegetation. Probably good for cutting throats too, but no opportunity to test in that medium has presented itself. I could probably push it to cut through logs and heavier material,but you reach a point of diminishing returns on your efforts,IE there are better tools for that sort of thing. Looking forward to getting the CAK and putting it through it's paces.

TWBryan

What is a Chainpure please? I've gone to the HI site and don't see that model.

Chainpuri are slim and light kukris. Here is a picture of one of mine.

DSCF0137b.jpg

Congrats on your new kuk TWBryan.

Is Chainpuri the model name, like Kobra, for example, or is Chainpuri a type of kuhkri and the Kobra is a Chainpuri.

Is Chainpuri the model name, like Kobra, for example, or is Chainpuri a type of kuhkri and the Kobra is a Chainpuri.

Chainpuri is a style of kukri. The kobra is also a style of kukri.

If I recall correctly the chainpuri is named after a small village in eastern Nepal.

The distinguishing features of the Chainpuri khukuri are the enclosed heart-shaped cho, the lack of a metal butt-plate (only a tang keeper), no fullers, and a typically pointer shape than say a Kobra.

It is also usually close to a 1:1 ratio of length to weight.

The sword-of-shiva may be unique, but I haven't done anywhere near the comparison to state that for sure.

Back