Just got my first CPK. Quite impressed so far.

I just received my first ever CPK after hearing a lot of good things. I've got to say I'm really impressed.
Everything about the finish is top quality, apart from the factory sharpness which was about as expected.
The angle of the v edge is also too steep for my linking, however I thought I'd run with it for a while and see how it goes. I sharpened it on a Venev 400/800 while keeping the default angle and then stropped it a bit on my own compounds and basswood, came up pretty nicely.

Last edited:
Congrats, they are addictive. You wont stop with one. I use the Venev stones as well they are great. I was surprised at the ease of sharpening the D3V steel, the low temp protocol makes it easier to sharpen it seems.
Now if only they would make a choil less version of some of them( hdfk, edc, fk2, sdfk) one day maybe( a man can hope).

Congrats, they are addictive. You wont stop with one. I use the Venev stones as well they are great. I was surprised at the ease of sharpening the D3V steel, the low temp protocol makes it easier to sharpen it seems.
Now if only they would make a choil less version of some of them( hdfk, edc, fk2, sdfk) one day maybe( a man can hope).
Yeah man, the only quality I've seen like this outside of a custom is TRC. I'm excited to see how the d3v holds up but I'm a huge fan of 4v at 64hrc. So I'm prepared to be disappointed with wear resistance.

Nice to know. I've got an older set of 8"x3" double sided Venev hones in those grits (and others) downstairs in the shop. I'll give them a try next time I feel a need for a touch-up.

Won't be your last CPK. They have a tendency to multiply...silly rabbits.

Yeah man, the only quality I've seen like this outside of a custom is TRC. I'm excited to see how the d3v holds up but I'm a huge fan of 4v at 64hrc. So I'm prepared to be disappointed with wear resistance.
Yes TRC is a great company, I need a classic Freedom lol. Check out knifesteelnerds.com for very detailed data on many steels, including wear resistance and toughness. The site is run by Larrin, the noble soul who invented CPM Magnacut.
If I was a betting man I wager Nathan will start using Magnacut on future knives, which will be very bad for my wallet. Stainless CPM cruwear/4v ? Hell yes!

Yes TRC is a great company, I need a classic Freedom lol. Check out knifesteelnerds.com for very detailed data on many steels, including wear resistance and toughness. The site is run by Larrin, the noble soul who invented CPM Magnacut.
If I was a betting man I wager Nathan will start using Magnacut on future knives, which will be very bad for my wallet. Stainless CPM cruwear/4v ? Hell yes!
I hope he does, so I can continue to only buy CPK for fixed blades lol. At this rate, Magnacut just sounds to good not to try.

Glad you like the BFK. Look forward to seeing the Cpks multiply for you 😅

Yeah his site is basically my homepage and I've got the book on my desk 😂. I like 4v at 64hrc and that's when magnacut starts to diverge in toughness. But nevertheless I've got a custom magnacut on order anyway so I can test it out.

Back