Just Got my JS Test knives pic from Sharp By Coop!!!

Excellent. They're all great, I really like the guard on the second from the left knife.

Congratulations!

Great photo Dave and congratulations again. Very clean work. It was nice to meet you and your wife. Nice set and good job.

Brion

Dave,

Good looking knives!!! If I had to make a bet. I'd say those blades were forged under a Little Giant.

Congrats.

Dave from Diller

Thanks for All your Comments!!!
Ryan, They will give you feed back after they are done Judging your pass or fail.
Lazlo, Before you get judged on the five knives you have to do a performance test with a separate knife. the last step of which is a 90deg bend.
Phil, I will be putting in a user name change and leave my alias loussharp1 under it at the top.
Here is a pic of my bent test knife.

DSC_0082-1.jpg

Many Thanks Again,
Dave

Congrats and I really like the five knives you had for judging! Have you been able to wash that grin off or has it become something permanet!:D If its permanet that's OK too as it looks like you earned it!:thumbup:

I have a question the knife that was used for the 90* bend. Was it just the blade? Or is it a fully completed knife?
In the pic it looks as if I can see the knifes spine sticking out from your hand. I have often wondered about this!!!!

Dave

Congratulations -- that is a fine looking set. It was a wise decision to have this milestone documented with a photo.

Brian

Hi DixieBlade57,
The performance blade for JS is a full tang knife with a over all length of 15" and a blade length no more then 10"
The max height it can be is 2". I had a removable cord wrap handle on mine others have removable wood etc. Before bending you need to grind off the cutting edge. I have had my fair share of broken blades and a flying sharp edge would be dangerous.
I always kid around and say I am going to make a Damascus blade out of all the ones I broke!!!
The Big Grin is not permanent but it was a Real sign of Relief it didn't break!!!!

Great job Dave and congrats! It looks great to see all the knives together!
Kev

Can a new guy ask a stupid question? I see all these guys that are JS or MS, or the guys that are going for the different levels. Are these achievements only for guys that get things hot and pound on them, or can guys that just grind,file and sand bar stock also work toward achievements. I understand that it is JourneymanSMITH and MasterSMITH, but is there a similar system in place for those of us that don't have an interest in forging?

Hi Karl,
It was nice meeting you at the Show. I will be going to the Arkansas Show in February will you be going?
My Mrs will encourage me to get the MS:). Wendy has been Great Thu this whole process. Soon I will be looking into which Hydraulic press to get to begin working on some Damascus.

Hi Mooseyard. There are knife makers guilds but that isn't really answering your question. If you make a post on the subject somebody for sure would know.

Thanks Again for all the Comments Given.

Dave just a great set of JS knives and congratulations on earning your JS stamp.

I'm checking out these five knives, and I was like "Dave who? Damn, he lives about 40 mins away!!!?"

What a great set. I was remarking on them all weekend.

As Paul Savage told me on his photo, I missed capturing the months and months of stress and hard work. It just looks... nice.

I don't know what you went through. ^^^^ These guys do, though!

Congrats!

Coop

Back