Just got my Spydie Wegner (1st impress.)

Well, I finally got someone to sell me a Spyderco Wegner (full size) for a decent price, so here are my first impressions. The knife is pretty hefty, having a full length stainless steel back spacer and a thick liner (one side only) for the Liner Lock. The clip is the polished one set up for right hand pocket carry, tip-up. There are non-adjustable rivets holding the whole thing together, although the pivot pin is a hex bolt on one side, so the blade retention can be tightened or loosened.

The handle scales are textured G-10, although they aren't quite as abrasive as the ones used on REKAT's Carnivore, for example. They provide good grip, but are easy on the hands and pockets. Everything is nicely finished flat, so you don't get hooked by any liners ticking out anywhere crazy. Teh lock itself has teeth for ease of closing and there are thumb notches on the spine of the blade to improve grip.

The knife is big, but thin, and the shape is very ergonomic. The blade is perfectly ground and, of course, super sharp. The shape is somewhere between a skinner and a utility pattern, and this will surely be my main outdoors folder. The liner does go all the way to the end of the tang, but according to Spyderco this is no problem at all. The knife really snaps open with authority, especially in the reverse grip, using the ring finger to deploy the blade. It simply explodes into place!

Obviously this is a super popular offering from Spyderco, and with good reason. It has all the features of a great knife, and there are tons of them around so you can always get a good deal on one. It isn't the prettiest knife ever, but it is ultra-useful in design and execution.

------------------
My Knife & Sheath Pages:
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/frames.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
Sheath Makers Referral Directory
agocs_s@dd.palmer.edu
Madpoet (Mel Sorg, Jr.) Tribute page:
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/madpoet/main.html

shootist16

knife law moderator
I love this knife! Definatley one of my favorites. It makes for an excellent utility knife and in my opinion would also make a great defensive knife. Here is a thread in which Tim Wegner discusses the design and its application as a defensive tool:
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000170.html

While it is very popular, I believe it is overlooked by the defensive crowd. Maybe because it isnt marketed as a "tactical" knife. Let me tell you that it absolutley is. As a matter of fact several Officers that I work with purchased Wegners as a duty knives after I showed them the Wegner. Our local uniform shop started carrying them in their "tactical" knives lineup after getting so many requests. The owner told me that he didnt see the Wegner as a defensive knife because it is marketed as a hunter. What I really like about the Wegner is its versatility. There are so many folders that are marketed as defensive knives that arent good for much else. Hopefully we will use our knives for utility alot more often than defense. The Wegner excels at both. Something that often isn't found.

------------------
Dennis Bible

The more you use it, the better it looks...

Ride it hard, Chiro - Tim would be disappointed if you didn't!

------------------
AKTI Member #A000832

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, the bear eats you."

I also love this knife. The son of a buck
is stouter than a brick shi- house. The liner
locks up like a bank vault. The ats34 blade
is thick and holds a very good edge. This
knife is just as good for tactical purposes
as skinning game or anything else. The more
you use it the more you will keep using it.
Im taking mine to the grave.
Buckshot

A couple questions concerning the Wegner's liner lock:

With the thick liner, how does the liner lock hold up under blade twisting conditions?

If one grips the handle white knuckle style, is this likely to cause the liner lock to disingage and cause the blade to close on your fingers?

Tia,

Harry

[This message has been edited by Kozak (edited 05-11-2000).]

I am not over fond of either the Military or the Starmate. As far as I am concerned this is Spyderco's Flagship model. The blade shape is really a drop point, for some reason the hole and the hump make look almost like a trailing point.

I think this would be a good candidate for the best large production folder.

supposedly the Wegner is to be changed to VG 10 in the fairly near future. That means that I will need another one.

I know that Dennis has been a big fan of the Wegner for a long time. He is actually responsible for giving me that little extra push I needed to order mine.

I will also echo Brian, Come back in 6 months and tell us it isn't pretty!

Kozak, The whole knife is solid, I just slipped the blade in beside the top drawer of my desk, and I cannot twist it hard enough with one hand to cause anything to move, It might as well be one piece. The liner lock hits the blade tang at dead center on mine, just like it did when it came out of the box. I am left handed and use the knife that way so I guess I should have more of a problem unlocking the liner by accident than a right hander, but it doesn't happen to me. I can not cause the liner to unlock with either my left or right hand without deliberately reaching in and pushing it out of the way.

Mike

Originally posted by MNH:

Kozak, The whole knife is solid, I just slipped the blade in beside the top drawer of my desk, and I cannot twist it hard enough with one hand to cause anything to move, It might as well be one piece. The liner lock hits the blade tang at dead center on mine, just like it did when it came out of the box. I am left handed and use the knife that way so I guess I should have more of a problem unlocking the liner by accident than a right hander, but it doesn't happen to me. I can not cause the liner to unlock with either my left or right hand without deliberately reaching in and pushing it out of the way.

Mike[/B]

Mike, good to hear this. I wonder, though, how the linerlock would fare if being used under conditions where it got wet (field dressing or in the rain). Would the linerlock still be as solid under these circumstances?

Harry

Chrio, nice review!
You are right, it is exceptionally comfortable to handle and very useful. Although is not "prettiest" knife, my wife considered - smiling crocodile
smile.gif

Dennis, the most of people like if someone decide in their place. Label the kitchen knife as "tactical" and you will be surprised how many people will buy it for self defense
biggrin.gif

And what is "special tactical knife design"? I discussed this matter with Fred Perrin at IWA'2000 gun show in March and we considered that no special design is needed to make human a harm. The simplest kitchen knife can serve very well for this purpose and really serves most frequently (statistics!)
For me the most "tactical" knife is the knife which is with me when I'm forced to use it to fight for my life. If this knife is reasonable sized, strong, comfortable to hold, fast to put in action - no more is required. SPYDERCO - Tim Wegner matches all these by all means! The rest depends on user's determination, skills, cool head, good physical condition and great deal of luck.

------------------
Sergiusz Mitin
gunwriter
Lodz, Poland

Sergiusz is absolutely right. People prefer to have the "tactical" knife decision made for them. The ideal defensive knife is ergonomic, easy to open during times of stress (the opening mechanism is a big help here but it really comes with practice, practice, practice), has a secure grip, and a blade shape that is conducive to slicing and stabbing. There are alot of knives that really fit the bill, even better than alot of knives that are marketed as "tacticals". The Wegner is one of them.

------------------
Dennis Bible

Kozak,

My over all impression is that this thing is bomb proof. As a hunter/skinner a folder may be a little more trouble to clean up when you get home but that should be the only difference.

I don't know how easy it is find one of these in Alberta, but if you ever pick one up, you will have a very hard time setting it back down.

Mike

Mike,

They're available here in Alberta, but overpriced. I'll check it out one of these days and if satisfied, likely will get one in the "For Sale" forum.

Harry

Not pretty....c'mon! Chiro, better get yerself Little Wegner before they disappear!!! Both are mainstay users in my collection.
biggrin.gif

I just re-discovered the Wegner. It has always been one of my favorite "tactical" knives.

The Wegner has been sitting on the shelf a lot latley since I have been carrying my SERE 2000.

I decided to dig it out today and fondle it for old times sake. I believe I am going to start carrying it regularly again. Of all my knives, the Wegner has seen the most carry time. Like an old friend I keep coming back to it time and time again. New knives will come and go but the Wegner is timeless. It sure is hard to improve on a design this good.

Of course I wouldn't mind seeing it made in VG-10 with a compression lock
wink.gif

------------------
Dennis Bible

The Wegner is one of my all time favorites. Unfortunately, I loaned mine out to a friend two years ago and haven't seen it since except in pictures of him with elk, deer or moose that he's harvested. LOL
wink.gif

I guess it's time to get a new one. VG-10 would be great.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by steve22595 (edited 10-12-2000).]

I always come back to big Weg. Carrying it today...

------------------
AKTI Member #A000832

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, the bear eats you."

First let me say that I like the Wegners, both large and small. I carry both frequently and think the large is about as good a folding hunting knife blade shape as can be had.

With that said, and I don't want to start any flame wars here, but I've always had a few questions/problems about the way the knives are put together.
1. Why is the clip placed so low that so much of the knive is exposed when clipped in a pocket? The SERE 2K has about the most perfect clip arrangement I've seen; the knife is in the pocket, not sticking out.
2. The nice curvature of the handle shape is wastes (for right handed carry) because the clip is on the wrong side. I feel as though the knive would be way more comfortable to carry, considering the curved handles, if the clip were on the other side. I am a righty and carry in my right pocket; sometimes front and sometimes back.
3. While tip up is supposed to be better tactically speaking, for dirty, grungy situations, the tip dowm arrangement keeps the hinge away from the pocket gunk.
4. Considering its a linerlock, and a thin one at that, what wouldn't there be two liners instead of just the one?

Even with all of that said, I like the Wegners and the large is a great folding/hunting knife; really like the blade shape.

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited 10-11-2000).]

* When they gunna get spell check on here? A: Probably after I learn how to spell.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited 10-11-2000).]

Originally posted by Nimrod:
1. Why is the clip placed so low that so much of the knive is exposed when clipped in a pocket? The SERE 2K has about the most perfect clip arrangement I've seen; the knife is in the pocket, not sticking out.

Maybe so it is easier to grab with cold fingers or gloves?

2. The nice curvature of the handle shape is wastes (for right handed carry) because the clip is on the wrong side. I feel as though the knive would be way more comfortable to carry, considering the curved handles, if the clip were on the other side. I am a righty and carry in my right pocket; sometimes front and sometimes back.

Except that carrying tip up in the right front with the clip on the left side places the tip in a prime position to slice open your hand as you put it in your pocket, if the blade happens to be jostled open at all. The way it's mounted now, it places the spine of the blade against the edge of the pocket, keeping the blade closed.

3. While tip up is supposed to be better tactically speaking, for dirty, grungy situations, the tip dowm arrangement keeps the hinge away from the pocket gunk.

On my tip up folders, the clip keeps them from resting in the bottom of the pocket.

4. Considering its a linerlock, and a thin one at that, what wouldn't there be two liners instead of just the one?

Doesn't it have nearly a full length metal (stainless steel?) spacer as well? To keep it nice and stiff... and heavy?

------------------
iktomi

[This message has been edited by rockspyder (edited 10-12-2000).]

I guess I'm a just a sheep (can you say Baaa?) becuase based on the glowing reveiws I read in this thread I just ordered one of these.
Since I got the 3.625" plain edge blade it should be acceptable for air travel (right?), as well as field dressing my deer this November.

------------------
-Marine, Peace Officer, Gunsite EW1 Graduate.

I would like to be yet another who throws his backing to the Wenger. Got mine for about 100.00 and for me it beat out everything in that price range for ergonomics, general usefulness and yes toughness. I abuse..... um .. used mine hard. At the time I was an exhibits person at the NY Botanical garden and used it for cutting rope, poly and natural, burlap and a host of other things. In addition I used to gather Grapevine and bittersweet both woody heavy vines of about 1.5 - 2 inches in diameter. I would get back on the handle and actually use this POCKET knife as a chopper. I would also go out and harvest Japanese Knockweed every morning again useing it as a chopper. Cant count how many cement, soil and manure bags it cut open. How many times it was tossed to someone that said hey Al you have a knife. Um not everyone catches very well. I used it under water to free up aquatic plants from the wetland then just rinsed it off and stuck it back in my pocket. Its size and very positive KA-THUNK opening made me feel good on the train trips home from the bronx to queens. May not be touted as a tactical defense knife but the things that make a knife a useful tactical are all there. Great secure grip, wonderful indexing, lots o belly and tough. Still after all this and a year and a half of proud ownership I cleaned it up sharpened it and gave it to a freind. He then used it hard for another year. Great knife and now it is in a third persons hands and still going. Great deal of knife for around 100. bucks.

------------------
ALex

http://home.att.net./~a.boriqua

[This message has been edited by Boriqua (edited 10-13-2000).]

Back